Xtreme Gaming Network

S17R3: Spa post-race chat

Author Topic: S17R3: Spa post-race chat  (Read 23525 times)

Offline AJ

• View Profile
Re: S17R3: Spa post-race chat
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 01:00:55 AM »
No worries about the tap mate, it happens, and it did me no harm :)

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 07:29:06 AM »
Firstly, I am really enjoying this car, track selection and organisation.  Wally does a great job and I think the strong numbers are a great thing.

The lower track grip in practice and qualifying caught me out a little, but I was happy to qualify in the top 10 against such a strong field.

Race 1 was a good finish in he top 10.  The first 3 laps were pretty intense and exciting.  It is great to race clean with so many different people.  I was running pretty high downforce as part of my "keep it clean and finish" strategy so was a bit of a siting duck in the DRS zone and coming into the last chicane.  Let a few people past before taking a planned early stop to drop myself into clean track.  Had an uneventful last ten laps, gradually making up places as other pitted to finish pretty much where I started.  Last few laps had some great clean racing with Shayne, had to take the defensive line on Kemmel straight a few times and really push to get out of DRS. Good fun.

Race 2, 2nd on the grid after the reverse.  Got a nice clean start from the outside, left plenty of room on he inside so Kcender got past into second.  Something happened behind so the top three had a 3 second gap into Eau Rouge.  Stuck it inside Shayne at Rivage in some more clean racing - now in 2nd.  Knew I was out of position pace wise so set about setting safe consistent laps to try and maximise the gap and hopefully get a top 5.  Matthew111 zoned in on me so I let him by and lost a bit of time, ended up in a 3 way duel down Kemmel with Shayne and Matthew111 under DRS, intense 10 seconds.  Settled into 3rd with a decent gap behind, an unlikely podium looked possible. Came aound Stavelot at full pace to find someone rejoining the track perpendicular to the race direction in front of the entire field - no where to go, made contact, spun to the inside wall hard, waited for everyone to pass, car was damaged, pitted and rolled around for the finish at the back of the pack.

Pretty frustrated that there is plenty of chat and pressure put on the back markers about being lapped and staying out of the way yet people just roll back onto the racing line in a blind high speed corned from 2 car lengths in the sand....

Anyway, next week the team will have a repaired car and we will try again.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 07:34:57 AM »
Hey guys thanks for letting me race with you guys tonight.

I got some small practice time for an hour or so over the weekend, so didnt have a car set up much, more than the a camber change and some pressure changes, so knew i wasnt going to be super fast, but then im never super fast on a good day!! LOL.  Qualled last, but i got a really good start off the line and had to lift very early as others hadnt got a good start, chose the wide outside line to try and be safe and not hit any 1 in T1.  after that every 1 pulled away nicely, i had damaged my front wing so pitted on lap 4.  was surprised on the last couple of laps i was able to race for positions amongst the front runners as there were some other back markers there.  10 cut laps i think i got with 3 x 10sec penalties. some in really crazy spots for going too wide taking the long way around and being pinged for it, lol. i didnt finish last on track across the line, but the extra penalties probably pushed me back.

Race 2 and i was on the inside line, another great start but really had nowhere to go, slight tap into the back of AJ on T1 under brakes, sorry mate but managed to stay with the rear of the pack mostly.  missed all the chaos up front,  but did notice my position climbing higher. Under pressure in the last few laps i gave up some easy spots spinning at the Bus Stop a couple of times cost me big time.

Enjoyed myself, thanks guys!!
Good to have you here and that you enjoyed yourself!

The cut track warnings are more for simply "leaving the track limits" rather than actual time gaining cuts.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 07:44:42 AM »
Firstly, I am really enjoying this car, track selection and organisation.  Wally does a great job and I think the strong numbers are a great thing.

Thanks AB :)

Yes, it's certainly worth reminding everyone to be patient and re-enter safely after a spin. I know you're probably seeing a bit of red mist and in a hurry to regain spots, but check your track map etc and don't stuff up anyone else's race.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »

BTW: I realize that while I can't be of any use setting servers and things like that, I should offer myself for helping with organizational things, counting points, watching replays and so on. Hell, I can do that even on those 2 or 3 months a year I am away and can't race. It would make me feel "closer" to the group

About the only thing I don't have time for is watching replays and looking for penalties on laps after lap 1. But that's a really big task. There are tools that help you find where incidents happened, but it's still a lot of work.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 08:37:53 AM »

BTW: I realize that while I can't be of any use setting servers and things like that, I should offer myself for helping with organizational things, counting points, watching replays and so on. Hell, I can do that even on those 2 or 3 months a year I am away and can't race. It would make me feel "closer" to the group

About the only thing I don't have time for is watching replays and looking for penalties on laps after lap 1. But that's a really big task. There are tools that help you find where incidents happened, but it's still a lot of work.
Perhaps drivers could send me a private message saying "can you have a look at driver-driver crash at tX in lap Y?". We are all honest people who normally offer to be penalized if we have made a mistake, so most likely the likely-to-be-guilty party would be the one offering. Of course, this is not something I could do when I am away, but can do when I am here.

In any case, any help you would like, just ask.

Offline KeRo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »
Not trying to get anybody in trouble, but are there any penalties for adding fuel?
I think it was just an innocent mistake. KeRo added 8 litres in race 1.

Thanks Wally, that's right.. Not sure how the whole pits thing works, I set up my pit strategy to add no fuel then I pitted and it still added it.... If anyone could let me know how to pit properly that would be greatly appreciated ;)

On to my races:

Firstly, thanks for the races everyone! Even though I had a shocker in both races I really enjoyed the night.

Not much to summarise really,

Race One: Started fairly well but struggled to get heat in the tyres so was really hard to keep a consistent pace. On lap 4 came out of turn 9 and got on the gas a bit early thus putting myself in the wall.

Race Two: Started near the back of the grid, was a clean start and was making up time on the car in front coming into turn 10 but was probably a bit deep under breaks when the door was closed, made slight contact with the car in front and went into the barrier.

Morale of the story, I still have a lot to learn when it comes to actually racing, not just hot lapping... So I hope you can all bare with me (and help please) while I learn the finer art of racing ;)

Quick question, was the race server set up the same as the practice server? I had a pretty good setup on the practice server, but when I came to the race server I pretty much had to rush to fix my setup to make it work, and I struggled big time....   

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
Hey Shayne, I watched the race 1 replay. To me, it looked like I was driving more or less on the racing line which is the left of the straight and you just ran out of room attempting to pass on the left. I might have been able to be more observant with Helicorsa and see you approaching from the left rear and given you more room.
Got curious, so I went to check the replay. To be completely pedantic, at the moment his front wing crosses your rear wheels (definition of overlap in open-wheel racing, as far as I know), there is still a whole car space on your left. So on this basis, you should in theory leave that car space for the rest of the straight.

As a reference, whether there was a complete car space at overlapping between Rosberg and Hamilton was the whole point of discussion about last year's Barcelona crash. That said, if Wally was Verstappen, then the steward would have probably said it was good racing ;)

But I think Wally did not notice Shayne overlapping and he was on a trajectory moving left, so that the space closed. Congrats to Shayne for holding it together on the grass, though. I would have spun and take both cars out!

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
Quick question, was the race server set up the same as the practice server? I had a pretty good setup on the practice server, but when I came to the race server I pretty much had to rush to fix my setup to make it work, and I struggled big time....
There was a lot less grip until the last laps of race 1 (and again for the whole race 2). This is because the practice server is usually set to 100% grip, while races start with 96% or so and grip at Spa builds very slowly (fewer laps per same amount of time).

Also wind changed compared to Saturday/Sunday, which made a few bits better (mostly the Bus Stop braking) and some worse (mostly Les Combes, for me).

Anyway, I think you are doing very well. I don't know about others, but my first races were much worse, and I still have huge problems in traffic with cars like these, as you can very well see ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
Yes, there's a lot of variability now, which tests your adaptability, just like for real racing drivers. Grip, temperature and wind can all be slightly different in the race, so you have to adapt to the changing conditions.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
I know we tried once to have points not based on a 32-1-1-1-1-1... Some people complained a lot. But I have to admit it feels a bit funny to be 17th of the round after winning the feature race in an F2 weekend ;)

I'm a fan of our current points settings as it places a premium on finishing. It discourages heroic, desperate passing maneuvers that have a high chance of ending in an accident. Its better for a driver to leave enough space for clean racing rather than risk an accident and a subsequent DNF.

As for the races, two very enjoyable races, lots of passes and being passed  ;D. Did one dive bomb on my team mate on the last chicane last lap, was not successful bit it did force him into a mistaken DRS activation  ;D. Race two was a race long battle with Shayne, he had fantastic drive out of corners and it took me a long time to make a pass stick!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »
But I think Wally did not notice Shayne overlapping and he was on a trajectory moving left, so that the space closed. Congrats to Shayne for holding it together on the grass, though. I would have spun and take both cars out!
That's it, really. I didn't know Shayne was there and should have noticed him on Helicorsa.

KeRo you're not using the old PitConfig app, are you? If you are, you should ditch that and just rely on AC's pitstop strategy.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »
Last night was quite an enjoyable round. Lots of passing with and without DRS. I had a good battle with ab in race 1 and also had a good battle with Freezer in race 1 as well. I was fortunate to have made a gap to Freezer after the pitstop otherwise that could of been a race long battle.
Race 2 I had pole position but that didn't last long at all, kcender was on a mission and flew passed me on kemmel straight on lap 1. I was being swamped at the start of this race, faster guys just trying to make an early move. Phil actually overtook me a couple times and they were very brave but also very good overtakes. Unfortunely grat and I touched but it didn't really effect my race at all, his mistake cost him a lot though. I had a good long battle with Mael in the second race, that was really good fun! You got away from me in the end though, good racing mate.

I don't mind about that incident with you Wally, just like to call you out on things because you know, your the boss and all :D

I didn't get much practice for this round, I had to make quite a few changes to the shared team setup that had gone around. I don't know how you drive that Bacc!

Last night was the first time I had used Oculus Rift in AC, actually just got it delivered last Friday and had used it in iracing on the weekend for the 24hr lemans. It was quite an experience to have VR running last night in the close battles that I was involved in. Really exciting stuff!

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
Last night was the first time I had used Oculus Rift in AC, actually just got it delivered last Friday and had used it in iracing on the weekend for the 24hr lemans. It was quite an experience to have VR running last night in the close battles that I was involved in. Really exciting stuff!
Cool! You mind me asking what GPU you are using and how it goes with Oculus? I have a 980 and I fear it would not be enough...

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Did one dive bomb on my team mate on the last chicane last lap, was not successful bit it did force him into a mistaken DRS activation  ;D. Race two was a race long battle with Shayne, he had fantastic drive out of corners and it took me a long time to make a pass stick!
Not quite, I actually got the penalty on Lap 1... :)
As for my races, I ran the red bull setup so was able to run hard through the bends and surprisingly was still able to hold out most DRS attacks up the straight,
possibly due to some gearing changes and ringing its neck in 5th through Au Rouge.
Cant remember all the details but had good battles with Shayne, Mael, Seanus.  A small spin at the end of Kemmel Straight after catching the kerb was one of few mistakes for an overall good night and finally
a decent amount of points.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal