Xtreme Gaming Network

Telemetry: Silverstone

Author Topic: Telemetry: Silverstone  (Read 7741 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
This is a comparison of my 2:02.280 (red) and Guybrush's 2:00.180 (green).

This particular bit is zoomed in on "the wiggly bit" - in particular Becketts (the left hander in the middle). I'm losing about 0.4 seconds here to Guy.

The graphs from top show Brake, Gear, Speed, Throttle and time delta between me and Guybrush. In the top Brake graph, you can see that I am braking at the entry to Becketts, whereas Guybrush doesn't brake at all. And our throttle applications are completely different. I maintain a bit of throttle all the way through the corner, while Guybrush goes completely off the throttle. So rather than brake, as I do, Guybrush just lifts completely off the throttle. He's coasting through the corner, but picks up the throttle sooner than me. This is where he makes up a lot of time (where the bottom red line starts to rise rapidly at 3840m).

He is also changing down sooner than me, maybe just due to gearing differences. We both end up in 4th for the right hander.

So for me, I would try to avoid braking entering Becketts.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Telemetry: Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »
This is the Ireland/Arena complex (the cross on the track map).

We brake at nearly exactly the same moment, but Guybrush brakes harder and shorter. Guybrush hits 3rd after the right hander; I stay in 2nd. I actually carry more speed between the right hander and left hander (about 13 kph) , and the delta dips down to zero at the bottom. I've actually caught up to Guybrush at that point. But Guybrush picks up the throttle a lot earlier (13m before me), and the delta starts to climb again.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »
Stowe. I lose about 0.1 second just on corner entry, but gain 0.05 on exit. But you can see how differently we take the corner.

Guybrush brakes a lot later (about 30m later) and stays on full throttle for about 50m longer, in 6th gear. I take the corner in 5th; Guy in 4th. I'm actually a bit faster mid corner, with about 50% throttle all the way through the corner while Guy is coasting. Maybe I can only do that by braking and lifting earlier.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
I have finally worked out how to hold it flat through Copse. I was turning in too early. There are also a lot of other corners where I was turning in too early and then having to open up the steering or get back off the throttle. Ended up taking 1-2 seconds off. Thanks for the advice guys. A very interesting discussion. The telemetry needs to be combined with the correct line through each corner I think.

EDIT: How the heck do you spell telemetry anyway :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:47:31 AM by Gratulin »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
Line is quite critical and some kerbs do kill my tatuus pretty quick. I dont think there is anything that can be done to make it better over all kerbs.

I will need to dl AIM software and take a look at it, but maybe Wally is offering an engineering service and we can just send him the data and he will tell us what we need to change.  Thanks Wally ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
If anyone posts up their NKT file, I don't mind taking a quick look. I think this stuff is interesting. The telemetry seems to be most informative about the driver inputs rather than the car setup.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal