Xtreme Gaming Network

How long have you been sim racing?

Author Topic: How long have you been sim racing?  (Read 16868 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
I feel I'm improving slowly but I've still got a long way to go before I can compete with most of you.

To give me some context, how long has everybody seem sim racing? For me it's now been 6 weeks (because playing single player forza games doesn't count)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
Most of these guys have been racing since before computers were invented :))

They keep talking about something called GT Legends!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:19:21 AM by Gratulin »

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
Re: How long have you been sim racing?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:56:13 AM »
Go further Gratulin!!  :D
GPL (or was that what you were referencing?) 1998, man, I'm sure the only net in those days caught fish for me and my cave woman...  :)

Offline Perch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
Assetto is my first sim so I'm at precisely 622 hours and counting over the coarse of just over a year.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:13:49 AM by Perch »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
Since Geoff Crammond's GP3 in the early 2000's.

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »
For me, the first real "sim” I'd say, not counting other racing games before that, would be GT Legends, 2007ish?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
I'm a gamer, no shame in admitting that.  From the first time I played an Atari and Amiga through to now I've been playing video games on and off for a while, although driving games and flight sims always appealed to me a little more.

I can remember playing Test Drive II - The Duel on the Amiga 500 when I was about 5 or 6 , but was always more interested in watching my older brother play.  First time I got seriously interested was Grand Prix 2 on my old Pentium 120, playing this with a one-button joystick with friends and hot-swapping between us during a race, seeing one of my friends AI controlled cars and ramming it while that friend was in the background screaming at me to stay away from it was a ball.  Those were the days before online multiplayer.

I didn't play much until later at Uni when I got a decent PC and gave rFactor a whirl which prompted me to go out and buy a Logitech Momo wheel.  Played that on and off for a year or so.  I did join a league called Ausfactor for a season in the V8 mod, but that was the only competitive racing I did.

A few years ago I tried iRacing, but after spending $200 for very little return and the unrealistic feeling of the cars I decided that wasn't for me after only a few months.  I could see the investment required to keep playing that and it was beyond what I would consider reasonable.  Our town also had it's telephone exchange burnt to the ground so we were without internet for about a month and this kind of weened me of it as well.  All the while though I was keeping an eye on this game in development from the people who had created Netcar Pro - a game which I did like the feeling of but seemed very unintuitive to play and access online (at least in the early stages when I tried it).

And then after not really touching my computer for a couple of years (I think) the AC tech demo came out... and I was completely underwhelmed, especially after following it for so long.  Then AC Early Access came out and I distinctly remember my first experience was driving the Formula Abarth around Magione, and it just felt right - exactly what I expected it to be based on my own time driving cars and go-karts.  I did have a passionate distaste for the understeering 458 though along with most of the other road cars, however this has been slightly reduced, but also I've realised that most other sims have focused on oversteer and haven't done a very good job of simulating understeer, whereas AC does both.  So really, I was just getting used to reality.  Anyway, here I am now with me having put more hours into AC than any other game I've ever played, by a long loooong way.

Hmmm, wasn't meant to be that long, bloody fingers just kept typing.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
I refuse to say, because you will cross match it against my "string of wins"  :o
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:08:25 PM by Flattop »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 02:05:02 PM »
You guys are all new school. ..

[youtube]fpPtMBScVII?t=22s[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:17:28 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
I've played Indianapolis500 on Amiga, and the test drive series.  I've even played some racing games on c64, hehe.
I got hooked on driving games at the first NFS I think, it was crazy good fun - and you actually had to use the brakes here and there!
Then LFS was my first sim, and it got serious from there on. :)

I was well behind the fast guys back then.   It usually takes a little while to find your full speed.  But I think it's different for everyone - not just their speed, but the time to get there, too.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:49:37 PM »
I've always loved driving games, just this is my first attempt at sim racing, or racing online against real people for that matter. First driving game I remember having was the original NFS (just looked up it's from 1994 so I was 11). I remember having some for the Test Drive games on the PS1 and during Uni I remember playing NFS Underground. I stopped gaming for quite a while, then got into Forza 3 and Forza 5. Hadn't played a driving game in a while, then the opportunity came to get a gaming PC, I tried Assetto Corsa, straight away had to but a G27 and now I'm hooked on it  :) Been a pretty heavy gamer the last few years with PC, X360, Xbone and WiiU and Assetto Corsa is taking up a fair bit of my time at the moment.

Offline PC49NZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »
Ever since the days of the 286 and Amiga.

I have just taken it up again semi- seriously with the hope of being at competition stage sooner rather than later, but alas I've still got a long way to go to not make a fool of myself.

I must say I'm also a little worried about TS and racing (servers) having never used these devices before.

Regards to all,
PC49NZ
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:13:05 PM by PC49NZ »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »

I have just taken it up again semi- seriously with the hope of being at competition stage sooner rather than later, but alas I've still got a long way to go to not make a fool of myself.

I must say I'm also a little worried about TS and racing (servers) having never used these devices before.

Regards to all,
PC49NZ
PC, start out with Thursday fun runs. They are pretty relaxed but some good racing. Just have to watch out for Dick and Marty who are usually arguing in the background about who ran into whom  ;)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »

Regards to all,
PC49NZ
PC, start out with Thursday fun runs. They are pretty relaxed but some good racing. Just have to watch out for Dick and Marty who are usually arguing in the background about who ran into whom  ;)

I don't argue. I deal in facts!  ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 09:28:11 PM »
I don't argue. I deal in facts!  ;)
No, you deal in pink horseys and kitties & stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal