Xtreme Gaming Network

Which camera view do you use?

Author Topic: Which camera view do you use?  (Read 10562 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Which camera view do you use?
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »
I'm using the bonnet camera as that's what I've always used on previous driving games, but I have occasionally tried to the in car view and sometimes feel it's easier to tell exactly where the car is on the track.

I've read FoV is really important. From what I can tell the FoV option only affects the in car view (although Wobbly will disagree with me on this one). If I use an online FoV calculator and set what it suggests the game is pretty much unplayable with in car view. I think the problem is that I'm about 6 feet back from a 32" TV. I may start trying to sit as close as I can to it. Ideally I'd like a bigger TV too but not sure I can get that past the wife...

Any tips/suggestions on setup?

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Which camera view do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
I use the tv cams its pretty tricky at times but way more realistic. Well at least it looks the same as when I watch the racing on tv.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:47:12 PM »
I use the tv cams its pretty tricky at times but way more realistic. Well at least it looks the same as when I watch the racing on tv.

Beat me to it....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:17:42 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
I race from cockpit.  Decreasing FOV helped me.  Get a more realistic perception of how sharp a corner is and you sense slides and things better, as any unnatural movement is pronounced - or not diminished - due to the view.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »
Only ever cockpit view, anything else looks like a game. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:56:18 PM »
I've always used cockpit view for the immersion.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »
Cockpit for immersion. 

But once I've somehow started up in bonnet, and did not really notice it, only that something was off.  I could not tell what the car was doing.  I could see the track very well, though.  But I had to go back to cockpit to be competitive. 

FoV is definitely important; I'm one of the lucky ones who spent a bit of dough on 3 monitors, so I can use a completely realistic Fov.  I reckon it helps heaps.

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »
I've always used cockpit view for the immersion.

Same here.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
Last night I put my sofa as close to the TV as possible and played with cockpit view. I used an Fov calculator that said I should be using 18 degrees which seems totally unplayable to me. I increased it to around 40-45 degrees which seems okay. Is a bit different from the bonnet cam and feels slower, which I guess is a good thing. I think I loose a little bit of track view.

I also watched this video yesterday on 'going faster', which despite the 80s awesomeness of it, actually had some good info for me.

[youtube]xQRmYMlmdqM[/youtube]

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »
Last night I put my sofa as close to the TV as possible and played with cockpit view. I used an Fov calculator that said I should be using 18 degrees which seems totally unplayable to me. I increased it to around 40-45 degrees which seems okay. Is a bit different from the bonnet cam and feels slower, which I guess is a good thing. I think I loose a little bit of track view.

I also watched this video yesterday on 'going faster', which despite the 80s awesomeness of it, actually had some good info for me.

[youtube]xQRmYMlmdqM[/youtube]
I also tried the FOV calculator and it came up with a very low value also.  I noticed that adjusting it really effects the feeling of speed.
I often use the TVCam view for vision benefits although cockpit is more realistic however you are usually almost in the back seat to see mirrors etc (using a single monitor) so neither is really perfect.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »
Well its a sim so I try to make it all feel as authentic as possible so cockpit view and the fov of 60 seems to give me a good sense of speed, low fov just feels weirdly unrealistic and slow, I want to feel like a ninja riding a bull from the pits of hell when I drive a race car!
do you even motorsports?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
When not challenging myself to the static TV cams I use cockpit with a realistic FOV on my triple screens. FOV would be around 33 I think but with triple screen setup there is no actual FOV but when running a single screen it looks similar to that how I have it setup. It sure doesnt feel slow and driving at nords seems pretty darn quick trying to nail those corners like a ninja and keep it off the armco.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal