Xtreme Gaming Network

New Linux Vulnerability found

Author Topic: New Linux Vulnerability found  (Read 5245 times)

Rolz

New Linux Vulnerability found
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:23:09 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone hosting game servers on Linux you might want to see if you are up to date on your patching.

https://threatpost.com/serious-linux-kernel-vulnerability-patched/115923/

Cheers

Rolz  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: New Linux Vulnerability found
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »
It's not an outside vulnerability; I reckon it really matters if you are on shared hosting, and you can't do much about it but nag your ISP.
(Unless your site - or any site on your server - was already compromised of course.  In that case you're properly screwed, hehe. )

Edit: what makes it a far bigger issue is that Android, for example, is built on the flawed linux kernel...now on android you can just d/l an app and get screwed....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:45:43 PM by Bird »

Rolz

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
It's not an outside vulnerability; I reckon it really matters if you are on shared hosting, and you can't do much about it but nag your ISP.
(Unless your site - or any site on your server - was already compromised of course.  In that case you're properly screwed, hehe. )

Edit: what makes it a far bigger issue is that Android, for example, is built on the flawed linux kernel...now on android you can just d/l an app and get screwed....

But it might a flow on affect... say you have an account that is running a service you are hosting... it has vulnerability that can give u shell access, you use this to get root access... obviously not as massive as having an outside vulnerability... still... my server gets smashed daily by scriptkiddies...

Agree with Android, potentially massive issue...   :o

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:30:08 PM »
I don't think you can easily do that; you need to hack into a server enough to be able to upload & run code.
If/when that happens, your server is already pretty badly compromised...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal