Xtreme Gaming Network

Is Illegally Downloading A Movie Really Theft?

Author Topic: Is Illegally Downloading A Movie Really Theft?  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Is Illegally Downloading A Movie Really Theft?
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/08/is-illegally-downloading-a-movie-really-theft-and-who-should-pay-to-stop-piracy/

Downloading a movie free is NOT a theft.

I think this is a great article, worth reading, and it's not too long either. 
It also goes into why the ISPs shouldn't pay for it.

Here's the gist of it:
Theft is when you permanently deprive the owner of their property, like stealing a DVD from a shop. Once you’ve stolen it, it’s gone and the shopkeeper can’t sell it to someone else.

When you download an episode of Game of Thrones without paying for it, you’re infringing the copyright and committing a civil wrong, but you don’t stop the owners of GoT from selling another copy of the episode to a paying customer, such as me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:21:29 AM by Bird »

Offline UBGrumpy

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
Re: Is Illegally Downloading A Movie Really Theft?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
Read the article and read a lot of the comments .... I really like the  'Coat Hanger' analogy:

Maybe companies that make coat hangers should hire private detectives to make sure people don't use them to break into cars.

August 6, 2014 11:43 am

No, shops like ikea who distribute coat handers need to pay for detectives to make sure people don't use them to break into cars!

August 6, 2014 1:13 pm

No, they need the government to legislate that the coat hangers can only ever be used to hang coats, and its up to the Banks, which let us spend our money to buy coat hangers, to police it

August 6, 2014 2:31 pm

Wrong again, the government need to create a legislation that coat hangers can only be used for coats, and then install data trackers in coat hanger and have coat hanger companies keep hold of our metadata for 2 years to ensure that they weren't used to break into cars. Then it is upto us to pirate coat hangers to steal cars.

August 6, 2014 2:46 pm

you forgot to mention that they would also need to fine anyone that bends a piece of wire into a coat hanger shape
 August 6, 2014 3:54 pm

Oh of course! Sorry and hand out minor infrigements to anyone who hangs anything but a coat on a coat hanger. T-Shirt? Australia says no!

August 7, 2014 11:45 am

I don't use coat hangers
 Want to know more ? Download my instructional video

August 7, 2014 1:44 pm

But all of that is a lot of work; it is easier for them to go after the producers of the metal and plastic used to make coat hangers, for providing the coat hanger companies with coat hanger materials.

August 6, 2014 5:30 pm

But what if you want to borrow someone elses coat hanger, or buy a box of used ones for your old coats? These unauthorised uses of coathangers must also be stopped.

August 7, 2014 7:25 am

Not only can you use that coat hanger to break into someones car, but you can then recycle it and use it as an aerial. You can't do that with a downloaded movie, can you?

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is Illegally Downloading A Movie Really Theft?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:42:56 PM »
Lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal