Xtreme Gaming Network

The driving standards thread

Author Topic: The driving standards thread  (Read 35797 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: The driving standards thread
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 11:59:35 PM »
Honestly, I would not judge the first contact too harshly. Buellersdayoff thought that Bacchulum was going to take the corner and go, and had a reasonable expectation to just follow that train through the inside and pass Jeremy.
Not quite how it happened, earlier footage would give a better picture.
Jeremy was passing me, as I had run wide at T1, so all I was looking to do was deny him the apex.
I wasn't sure if the tyres were still dirty or not either, hence I was reticent to really hit the limit as well.
And on top of that, but known only to me, was that was my bogey corner where I struggled with turn in every lap, so I was never going to push the issue there.
 8)
This is actually really interesting. It really shows how hard it is to understand what's going on. Even after watching a replay like 10 times. Thank you. I still think I am capturing (at least) some of what may have been going through Buellersdayoff's mind. But you are giving us the bigger picture, which obviously matters.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 12:51:53 AM »
Honestly, I would not judge the first contact too harshly. Buellersdayoff thought that Bacchulum was going to take the corner and go, and had a reasonable expectation to just follow that train through the inside and pass Jeremy.
Not quite how it happened, earlier footage would give a better picture.
Jeremy was passing me, as I had run wide at T1, so all I was looking to do was deny him the apex.
I wasn't sure if the tyres were still dirty or not either, hence I was reticent to really hit the limit as well.
And on top of that, but known only to me, was that was my bogey corner where I struggled with turn in every lap, so I was never going to push the issue there.
 8)
This is actually really interesting. It really shows how hard it is to understand what's going on. Even after watching a replay like 10 times. Thank you. I still think I am capturing (at least) some of what may have been going through Buellersdayoff's mind. But you are giving us the bigger picture, which obviously matters.
I wasn't sure which car to follow though the turn, you can kinda see it in the short clip, and didn't even consider bacchulums grip level either (hadn't really crossed my mind). I chose to follow the car who I thought would be the fastest and most successful through the turn. All split second stuff, lessons learnt and certainly not excuses or someone to blame

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 01:23:41 AM »
Will throw my 2c at that one, driver of the offending car was caught of guard at the total and unexpected lack of acceleration out of the corner of the white car. He did account for the slower entry speed with two cars in front and this can be seen with the second application of the brakes coming in to the apex as there were cars ahead.
The impact happens in what should be a fairly hard acceleration zone and you can see the yellow car in from walking away as well.

In either case a hit from behind is exactly that so it’s the guys behind fault. From that external view it’s a very Vettel/Hamilton in Baku kind of incident... lol

Talking about the second incident posted here...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:29:36 AM by Godzilla »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
Will throw my 2c at that one, driver of the offending car was caught of guard at the total and unexpected lack of acceleration out of the corner of the white car. He did account for the slower entry speed with two cars in front and this can be seen with the second application of the brakes coming in to the apex as there were cars ahead.
The impact happens in what should be a fairly hard acceleration zone and you can see the yellow car in from walking away as well.

In either case a hit from behind is exactly that so it’s the guys behind fault. From that external view it’s a very Vettel/Hamilton in Baku kind of incident... lol

Yes, that is a tricky one. But I don't think you can accelerate full pelt assuming the car in front is going to do the same. I always try to keep at least a little buffer to the car in front if I'm directly behind them, matching their speed, unless I've got a chance to move alongside them.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »

Yes, that is a tricky one. But I don't think you can accelerate full pelt assuming the car in front is going to do the same. I always try to keep at least a little buffer to the car in front if I'm directly behind them, matching their speed, unless I've got a chance to move alongside them.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that, Wally. At least not all the time. One of the most exciting things of Tuesday night is when I am fighting with some of the fastest guys and I can follow them for laps and laps with each and every corner at qualy pace. (last Tuesday I did that with Matthew in race 1 and it was a fantastic race---only ruined by a sad misunderstanding once we were side by side on the back straight). Of course if you get really really close, then you need to lift a little and take a slightly different line or get out of their slipstream. But that's really only when you get within a meter or so. Until then, full pelt is the way to go if you can trust the other driver.

Granted, when they are two cars fighting ahead, it is a wholly different problem---and in that case I agree with you: give them some slack. Both accidents in this thread show exactly this: following two cars fighting for position is a completely different pair of shoes.

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »

I wouldn't go as far as to say that, Wally. At least not all the time. One of the most exciting things of Tuesday night is when I am fighting with some of the fastest guys and I can follow them for laps and laps with each and every corner at qualy pace. (last Tuesday I did that with Matthew in race 1 and it was a fantastic race---only ruined by a sad misunderstanding once we were side by side on the back straight). Of course if you get really really close, then you need to lift a little and take a slightly different line or get out of their slipstream. But that's really only when you get within a meter or so. Until then, full pelt is the way to go if you can trust the other driver.

Granted, when they are two cars fighting ahead, it is a wholly different problem---and in that case I agree with you: give them some slack. Both accidents in this thread show exactly this: following two cars fighting for position is a completely different pair of shoes.

Problem is compounded a bit by the reverse grid as you need to change your driving style completely. In race one you start and generally race with guys on a similar lap time to you. In reverse grid it can be easy to get caught out though.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »

Problem is compounded a bit by the reverse grid as you need to change your driving style completely. In race one you start and generally race with guys on a similar lap time to you. In reverse grid it can be easy to get caught out though.
Absolutely. You can't drive as aggressively when you are in an heterogeneous (in terms of outright pace) pack.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 06:09:45 PM »
I split the public server discussion into its own thread.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
What do you make of this one? Should the car that was passed have backed off and conceded the following corner once he knew he'd been passed, or did he not have time to react?

[youtube]2ygoVdF8kus[/youtube]

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
Just by my first look, the re-pass may have been unintentional.
They look like they've just dropped the right side onto the grass at the braking point, which would've made pulling it up pretty difficult.
But if that's not the case, they went in far too hot to maintain the inside line, making it a dive-bomb.
Should've conceded.

2+2=√16

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
The driving standard is not up to scratch,thats clear.The game may not be very realistic but our behaviour  does not make it any better.I have accepted this as a fact a long time ago.The complete absence of consequences from accidents make our action more irrational.
In my first race after months i had been massacred.Do i care? Not anymore i just reach for the ESC button,open the fridge and i have a beer.In the last video you can tell that that driver not only does not know where the pedals r but he thinks hes in control of one of those stunt machine at luna park.
Its a game,,,and thats it!!  it would be NOICE to see a racing sim where the money,time to fix,and even injured would play a role,not only that but it would be good to see the manager of your team getting upset by your erratic behaviour and eventually fring you   Am i going too far?   maybe.
Some ppl said it is hard to know whats going on,,,yes it may be true but i personally use only the ARROW to see where my fellow opponent is and is working a treat,the rest use my three dimensional capacity,,,,,and lots of common sense

But this is a welcomed thread!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:18:10 AM by Simone »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »
I am with Bacchulum. The car on the right goes on the brakes at the same time as the car on the left. But he clips the grass and loses it, eventually clipping the inside curb and sliding across the track into the other car. it does not seem to be a dive on purpose. Not the greatest example of situational awareness, but it happens...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 09:26:33 AM »
Yes, quite right - the passed car did put a wheel on the grass, which may have contributed to a loss of control.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
The driving standard is not up to scratch,thats clear.The game may not be very realistic but our behaviour  does not make it any better.I have accepted this as a fact a long time ago.The complete absence of consequences from accidents make our action more irrational.
In my first race after months i had been massacred.Do i care? Not anymore i just reach for the ESC button,open the fridge and i have a beer.In the last video you can tell that that driver not only does not know where the pedals r but he thinks hes in control of one of those stunt machine at luna park.
Its a game,,,and thats it!!  it would be NOICE to see a racing sim where the money,time to fix,and even injured would play a role,not only that but it would be good to see the manager of your team getting upset by your erratic behaviour and eventually fring you   Am i going too far?   maybe.
Some ppl said it is hard to know whats going on,,,yes it may be true but i personally use only the ARROW to see where my fellow opponent is and is working a treat,the rest use my three dimensional capacity,,,,,and lots of common sense

LOL 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:14 PM »

LOL 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I have a sudden desire to ask for your pusher's phone number...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal