Xtreme Gaming Network

Occulus VR Tuning Ideas

Author Topic: Occulus VR Tuning Ideas  (Read 5560 times)

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
Occulus VR Tuning Ideas
« on: August 05, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »
Just looking at some advice if anyone has some tips.

Current System: AMD FX8350, 12G DDR3, 256GB SSD, RX 580 4GB. Everything running standard clocks.

More and more I am getting issues with framerates and it is amplified with certain mods and mod tracks. If I run on my own with any content, I get an easy 90fps. When I add a grid full of cars, I get drops to 35-40 which is bearable, but with the GroupA and C cars, I'm getting drops to 25 and below. When I check the VRAM settings in the AMD console, Its maxxed out no matter how I set the detail and world level.

In the graphics test sequence, I can max out everything but leave the post processing off and I get a very usable 45fps. Not ideal but very usable. I have everything on medium and get 90fps everywhere except the main straight where it drops to 45 and the graphics VRAM is sitting about 53%.  Using the Group A and C cars, it goes straight to 100% and framerates drop to as low as 17.

I wont be qualifying in the coming series which is a shame as I seem to have some genuine mid pack pace in these cars and I do like driving them but I have no intention of crashing into someone because of framerates on lap 1.

I am trying to avoid getting a 8GB card and wanted to know if anyone has a few ideas to try. I've tries a lot of the stuff on google with no success. Does anyone use Crossfire and was there a perfermance gain. I get mixed reports when I look into it.

Thanks everyone

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
Re: Occulus VR Tuning Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
At 250k polygons per car, being rendered all the time, as there no LODS, and with most of those cars using uncompressed textures, it's little wonder you would be struggling.
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:56:07 PM »
Do you use Content Manager and Shader Patch? Maybe that has some trickery up its sleeve? With my 2080 on triples, I haven't noticed any framerate drops, but I am using CSP.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:24:37 PM »
I have installed content manager but haven't really used it yet. There was supposed to be some VR specific settings in there but I haven't located them. I'll have to have another look around.

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »
At 250k polygons per car, being rendered all the time, as there no LODS, and with most of those cars using uncompressed textures, it's little wonder you would be struggling.

So A card upgrade will be needed then? Do you know if AC supports Crossfire?

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 11:24:37 PM »
This vid might help but it might be time to look at upgrading if you can, if not try some over clocking on the cpu and ram so long as your mobo and cooling can cope.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:06:27 AM by buellersdayoff »

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:16:49 AM »
I've tried overclocking and made little to no differenceexcept a few degrees within a couple of minutes. Seems to be only the VRAM that is the issue. I'll have to look at where the vram storage is and if I can move it to a faster location or just put up with it for now and service a few more cars at home to fund an upgrade.

I'll work through the videos tomorrow and see how it goes. A new card is not really on the cards, 2 small kids and another due in 4-6 weeks. Kind of hard to justify a new graphics card right now.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll give it a go.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 08:27:55 AM »
I've tried overclocking and made little to no differenceexcept a few degrees within a couple of minutes. Seems to be only the VRAM that is the issue. I'll have to look at where the vram storage is and if I can move it to a faster location or just put up with it for now and service a few more cars at home to fund an upgrade.

I'll work through the videos tomorrow and see how it goes. A new card is not really on the cards, 2 small kids and another due in 4-6 weeks. Kind of hard to justify a new graphics card right now.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll give it a go.
your cpu is probably the biggest bottle neck as its only about as good as an old intel i5, try looking at https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1637388-fx-giving-bad-fps-here-s-how-tune-your-old-fx-give-better-game-performance.html carefull though a high end mobo/cooler was neccessary to push these cpu's to the max and you won't want to damage the gear if upgrades aren't in the budget right now. Vram is on the gpu and can't be transferred (afaik) and 4gb is kind of on the low side these days, tuning/lowering gfx settings is the only way to make sure it is not filled to the max, which is when issues arise from reloading textures from HDD to VRAM.

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 10:20:50 PM »

your cpu is probably the biggest bottle neck as its only about as good as an old intel i5, try looking at https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1637388-fx-giving-bad-fps-here-s-how-tune-your-old-fx-give-better-game-performance.html carefull though a high end mobo/cooler was neccessary to push these cpu's to the max and you won't want to damage the gear if upgrades aren't in the budget right now. Vram is on the gpu and can't be transferred (afaik) and 4gb is kind of on the low side these days, tuning/lowering gfx settings is the only way to make sure it is not filled to the max, which is when issues arise from reloading textures from HDD to VRAM.

CPU sits happily at 50-60% normally and about 70-80 on some tracks. Never seen it above 90 with the exception of some buggy tracks and mods. Doesnt seem to be a CPU bottleneck or throttling issue but I'll happily have a read and give it a go. Nothing to lose but a mainboard and CPU. I have a spare lower spec PC if I get a light show and some smoke I guess.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 10:48:01 PM »
I haven't played with those cpus but in that post I linked there seems to be some good gains from fine tuning and not just oc the cores, worth looking into, might help with the minimum fps. Fine tuning gfx settings like mentioned in the other vids so you can keep fps at 45.

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
I'm going to have a play this weekend and see how I go. I haven't ruled out going back to a single 24" screen but trying to avoid it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal