Xtreme Gaming Network

lenovo mixed reality

Author Topic: lenovo mixed reality  (Read 10926 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
lenovo mixed reality
« on: December 29, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »
Well, so, I kind of randomly got my hands on one of these new Lenovo mixed reality headset. So today I put it on for some AC. It works. Everything far is quite washed out, but it works.

Apparently I have no motion sickness. Seriously: I have been driving for 3 hours and I have no problem whatsoever.

I am not sure if I can actually be competitive with it, but tomorrow I'll try to put some laps in the practice server and if I am on the pace I may try to race with it on Tuesday.

Any suggestion from the VR savvies?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: lenovo mixed reality
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
Does it have full head positional tracking or just the direction you are facing? When I played around with my Samsung Gear VR setting up head tracking made a huge difference.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:09:58 PM »
Does it have full head positional tracking or just the direction you are facing? When I played around with my Samsung Gear VR setting up head tracking made a huge difference.
I can look around pretty much how I want and move back and forth a bit without problems. It may lose its position if I do something really crazy, but nothing that created me problems.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
What's the "mixed" part about?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
What's the "mixed" part about?
Nothing. There's no mixed reality as such. Windows seems to use this term in the sense that you can kind of walk through windows (there is a house and you can open and close apps around. But that's it.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:54:36 PM »
Good old Australia tax
jb hi fi have them for $799 aud https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/desktops/lenovo/lenovo-explorer-windows-mixed-reality-headset-and-controller-bundle/543909/
Microsoft usa store has them for US $299 which is 382.30 aud https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/lenovo-explorer-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8n5sn73q2xvg?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
Yep. I would have never bought it for that kind of ridiculous price, but it kind of happened ot be in a bundle with stuff I needed to buy in an emergency and so...

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 10:58:51 PM »
After a bit more of testing.... I am torn.

Yes: I can kind of replicate my lap times.
Yes: I can drive close without crashing (not more than usual, that is).
Yes: I feel comfortable after hours of usage.
Yes: once your eyes can see around, you have an amazing sense of space and a better understanding of your speed.

No: I do not see lots of reference points on a track.
No: I do not like the jagged lines everywhere.
No: I get really tired of constantly having to try to squeeze my eyes to see a bit more here and there and try to recreate in my mind a map of what's around me.

So I am still very torn...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:46:15 PM by grat »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 11:05:50 PM »
Good old Australia tax
jb hi fi have them for $799 aud https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/desktops/lenovo/lenovo-explorer-windows-mixed-reality-headset-and-controller-bundle/543909/
Microsoft usa store has them for US $299 which is 382.30 aud https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/lenovo-explorer-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8n5sn73q2xvg?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
It could also be incorporating the "Apple Model", charge Australians more because Australians will pay more....... >:(

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »
Grat, I've used 3d glasses with 6dof trackIR years ago - essentially the same you've got here, just made out of two distinct components & extra bits.  And of course the monitor did not move with the head.   I loved it.  The alignment kept going away after 10-20 minutes, and that meant something like driving sideways until realigned.  That did ruin the laptimes, hehe.   (Altho there was a key to realign, it was never 100%)  And a special monitor was needed with very high refresh (CRT monitor of course). Bit of shadowing was still visible.  But the CRT requirement has killed it eventually.

The reason I was holding off is mainly the resolution; no VR device is good enough, yet, IMO.  I do not want to look at pixels.   
But as a tech, it was - is - extremely immersive and enjoyable, to be able to look to the apexes, etc - not to mention safer; I could always judge distances very accurately, see who's around...

What I don't understand is your last comment;
  "No: I get really tired of constantly having to try to squeeze my eyes to see a bit more here and there and try to recreate in my mind a map of what's around me." 
What's that about, as that does not ring any bells?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:25:04 AM by Bird »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
Thanks Bird. I meant that with the low resolution I kind of always need to think about referral points---where are they? am I sure that is not just a spot in the grass?---this kind of questions.

Anyway: I have done more testing, played more with supersampling, and done some fun races with Godzilla. All in all, I think I am still a bit slower with this thing and a bit more prone to bin it at random times, but it is fun and looks safe enough not to ruin everybody's race. So I will try it this Tuesday. I am just scared about the start with so many cars, but we'll see...

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »
Not really relevant to the thread title, but has anyone seen the Samsung Odyssey VR headset?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/samsung-hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8w91r774pdkk?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

It has higher resolution than the OR or Vive and "inside-out" tracking so you don't need to setup any cameras or lighthouse boxes, etc.  Sounds like the next step up in VR, but I'm keen to know if it makes driving sims much better as far as the detail you are able to see on track.

Also, from what I have read, all the other Microsoft Mixed Reality headsets are fairly substandard compared to the Odyssey, OR or Vive so I wouldn't use the Lenovo one as a benchmark for VR Grat.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »
Not using it as a benchmark... but it’s what I got... :(

Anyway, it seems a bit better lately. And definitely a cool thing, despite the many rough edges.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal