Xtreme Gaming Network

S20R3: Thruxton Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S20R3: Thruxton Post-Race Chat  (Read 31986 times)

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
Re: S20R3: Thruxton Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 01:19:50 AM »
Thank you, Godzilla. The rest should be: i7 4790K with some NZXT Kraken Liquid cooler, an MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition motherboard, and a 650W Power supply (I guess this is all that matters... as you can see, I am pretty ignorant)

Are you saying I should wait to buy a Volta card, or wait to buy a 1080ti if the price goes down?

The rest of the system is fine. I’d wait for the Volta, should be a good performance jump based on the Titan-V performance and specs. Titan V benchmarks about 55% faster then the 1080ti and it’s not even optimised for games

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 02:21:43 AM »
Thank you, Godzilla. The rest should be: i7 4790K with some NZXT Kraken Liquid cooler, an MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition motherboard, and a 650W Power supply (I guess this is all that matters... as you can see, I am pretty ignorant)

Are you saying I should wait to buy a Volta card, or wait to buy a 1080ti if the price goes down?

The rest of the system is fine. I’d wait for the Volta, should be a good performance jump based on the Titan-V performance and specs. Titan V benchmarks about 55% faster then the 1080ti and it’s not even optimised for games
True, but I am worried the 1180 (or 2080, whatever they may call it) may not be there until late 2018 and cost more than a 1080ti now... (I guess I could sell my 980 for some money on ebay, though... never did that before, but it has a market still, no?)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 04:49:26 AM »

True, but I am worried the 1180 (or 2080, whatever they may call it) may not be there until late 2018 and cost more than a 1080ti now... (I guess I could sell my 980 for some money on ebay, though... never did that before, but it has a market still, no?)
My prediction based on previous generations is the next ti (volta) will be later this year and very expensive, also because of lack of real competition. The next xx80 volta will most likely be around similar performance to a 1080Ti but similar in price (over priced at release time), again lack of competition. It could bring down the price of the 1080ti a little. Any how if you can get a 1080Ti for a good price you'll still be good for quite a while or wait for 6-9months for whatever volta brings.
On your current rig check all the temps with something like hwinfo64, make sure your cpu is good and not throttling it sounds a bit like cpu? Might be time to repaste the cpu if you haven't before.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »

It's not really worth selling old cards in my opinion. You get bugger all.

If it was me, I'd get a 1080 when their price drops. The new Volta will probably be horrendously expensive. I usually buy a generation back to get a better price. But don't leave it to long... old generation cards become unavailable very quickly when a new card comes out.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »
On your current rig check all the temps with something like hwinfo64, make sure your cpu is good and not throttling it sounds a bit like cpu? Might be time to repaste the cpu if you haven't before.
Thank you. I tested it on the replay from last night races. fps were dropping as usual, but CPU temps were all in the mid 50's and GPU was set between 72 and 73C. All in all, it does not seem to be a heat issue.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
The 1080Ti is a very strong card, but if you want the maximum, pay a little extra for something that's guaranteed to run fast.  I run mine with a 4k screen and it doesn't break a sweat, well outperforming the previous 970SLI setup.
Eh, here's the list of components.  Keep in mind I'm using the asus bios' simple "once-click" overclock (no bs, I have not had to look at anything in the bios but set one config) to run the 6700k at 15%, so @4.6 GHz.

Only the RAM is running at base clock, that's something to address in the future I just need the time - and inclination - to do so, hehe.

Corsair Carbide 600Q
ASUS Maximus 9 Hero
i7-6700k
NZXT Kraken X62 cooler
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Samsung 960 Evo (nvme)
ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI AMP Extreme
Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
The 1080Ti is a very strong card, but if you want the maximum, pay a little extra for something that's guaranteed to run fast.  I run mine with a 4k screen and it doesn't break a sweat, well outperforming the previous 970SLI setup.
Eh, here's the list of components.  Keep in mind I'm using the asus bios' simple "once-click" overclock (no bs, I have not had to look at anything in the bios but set one config) to run the 6700k at 15%, so @4.6 GHz.

Only the RAM is running at base clock, that's something to address in the future I just need the time - and inclination - to do so, hehe.

Corsair Carbide 600Q
ASUS Maximus 9 Hero
i7-6700k
NZXT Kraken X62 cooler
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Samsung 960 Evo (nvme)
ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI AMP Extreme
Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium
Bird! Thank you! Unfortunately you would have to break it up into baby-sized pieces for me to understand. Are you saying I should buy the ZOTAC AMP Extreme version or you are saying I should buy an i7-6700k or that I should overclock the CPU (lost overclocking settings a year or so ago and I am not good enough to do them myself, I fear, but your 1 click option sounds nice)?

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
Would be extremely surprised if we don’t see a Volta based GeForce card by March. The Titan card based on it is already out now. Performance jump will be huge. 1080ti is nice but it still can not run AC maxes out at 90fps (reflections kill it)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 09:55:26 AM »
Thank you. I tested it on the replay from last night races. fps were dropping as usual, but CPU temps were all in the mid 50's and GPU was set between 72 and 73C. All in all, it does not seem to be a heat issue.
Ok, so a gpu upgrade might be needed. A 1080Ti or 1080 would be a good bit better and of course the next generation volta xx70 and up might worth the wait but will be ridiculously expensive particularly around launch, in the meantime definitely overclock what you have since you have the cooling headroom, it can help with the minimum frame rates.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »
Would be extremely surprised if we don’t see a Volta based GeForce card by March. The Titan card based on it is already out now. Performance jump will be huge. 1080ti is nice but it still can not run AC maxes out at 90fps (reflections kill it)
Most likely, but I don't think you'll see a ti version until later this year and what does release soon won't be too far better than the 1080ti, but more expensive. Just my guess though

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
Ok, so a gpu upgrade might be needed. A 1080Ti or 1080 would be a good bit better and of course the next generation volta xx70 and up might worth the wait but will be ridiculously expensive particularly around launch, in the meantime definitely overclock what you have since you have the cooling headroom, it can help with the minimum frame rates.
You mean overclock the GPU. I can try, but it would be my first time doing that, really... I am so useless :(

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
You mean overclock the GPU. I can try, but it would be my first time doing that, really... I am so useless :(
Yeah cpu and gpu, if you have time to do some reading this will help...
CPU http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
GPU http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html and there are also a lot of youtube videos for gpu overclocking, stability testing is the most important part, don't want to crash near the end of a race or something lol

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 11:14:02 AM »
Yeah cpu and gpu, if you have time to do some reading this will help...
CPU http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
GPU http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html and there are also a lot of youtube videos for gpu overclocking, stability testing is the most important part, don't want to crash near the end of a race or something lol
Thank you. Ok, so I followed a guide and overclocked the GPU (which I think was already oveclocked a bit by default). It was stable with +60 core and +150 memory, but there was no visible change in performance when ingame.

I am a bit more worried about overclocking the CPU, as I am not planning at all to substitute it. But if you tell me it would really make huge changes...

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
A bit of a stretch but I wonder if your issue is caused by the security update for Spectre,
See details here, especially on he older CPU performance hit part: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-intel-slowdown-old-chips,36293.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal