Xtreme Gaming Network

POLL: Post-season endurance duration?

Poll

How long should the post-season endurance race be? (AEST times)

1 hr (8:45 - 9:45)
0 (0%)
1.5 hrs (8:30 - 10:00)
8 (34.8%)
2 hrs (8:15 - 10:15)
10 (43.5%)
2.5 hrs (8:00 - 10:30)
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: POLL: Post-season endurance duration?  (Read 10376 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
POLL: Post-season endurance duration?
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:49:40 PM »
As per this thread, an endurance round at Nordschleife Endurance in a mix of GT cars after the current season (May 9). How long would you like the race to be? You can vote for more than one option.
There would be a long qualifying session from 6:00pm to race start. The longer the race, the shorter the qualifying time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: POLL: Post-season endurance duration?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
Hey, have you considered a random grid for such a long race? Very few of us can join before 8pm...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
Hey, have you considered a random grid for such a long race? Very few of us can join before 8pm...

Possibly better just starting the race at 8:30, even if it ends up a 2 hour race maybe people would rather finish at 10:30 then start at 8:15. To me the 15 minutes doesnt matter much either way but a random grid is not really something I would want in a big field at Nords for a long race. Possibly the grid will be a bit mixed up anyway as to get in a qualy lap takes 16 minutes and its likely many wont get a real good one in.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
Can we take the practice server times as qualification times? i.e. during the week previous to the race.

I'll vote for that.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
Since 2 hours is looking most popular so far, we could race 8:30 to 10:30, and take quality times from the practice server, so long as we leave the practice server up for 2 weeks, say, as some like me will struggle to find time to even put laps on on the practice server. Anyone who doesn't post a time in the practice server (in their nominated car) would be at the back of the starting grid.

Or alternatively, I could do a sort of car handicapping by putting the faster cars on the list I posted at the rear of the grid, with the slower cars at the front. That could provide some incentive to pick a car which, on paper, might appear to be slower. It adds a strategic element. What do you reckon?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »
Since 2 hours is looking most popular so far, we could race 8:30 to 10:30, and take quality times from the practice server, so long as we leave the practice server up for 2 weeks, say, as some like me will struggle to find time to even put laps on on the practice server. Anyone who doesn't post a time in the practice server (in their nominated car) would be at the back of the starting grid.

Or alternatively, I could do a sort of car handicapping by putting the faster cars on the list I posted at the rear of the grid, with the slower cars at the front. That could provide some incentive to pick a car which, on paper, might appear to be slower. It adds a strategic element. What do you reckon?

I like the alternative option, but having qualy before race or on the practice server prior to race is fine too. Grid position really doesn't matter too much in a longer race here as long as it doesn't mean your damaged early from someones careless driving.

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
better to have the faster cars in front on the grid.. It's a 2/2.5 hour race, I don't want a damaged car before I even get on the tourist track..

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 02:12:25 PM »
better to have the faster cars in front on the grid.. It's a 2/2.5 hour race, I don't want a damaged car before I even get on the tourist track..

Just because the cars are faster doesn't mean the drivers would be faster in them  ;) With such a fixed grid it would require patience from everyone early but I think if people get so impatient at the start of a 2 hour race they are willing to ruin their race and that of many others then they will never understand the point of trying to stay clean and make your moves in the next 2 hours or so. At Nords if your stuck behind a slower driver/car for position then quite often there wont be good pass opportunity until you get to Dottinger hohe or the GP layout.

I would actually rather start at the back of the grid no matter which car I run but there could be a qualifying server running for a couple weeks prior with fixed conditions that people could set lap times on which is another option. Some could choose to start at the back also as a self handicap and to make the race a bit more fun, battles up front are great but dont always happen. Starting last you know you will need to make your way through all the field for position.

Also the option to have a regular qualy starting from server up 6pm til race start 8:30 can work for a few, some may not have that much time to get in a lap with the 15 minutes needed to set a single lap. Shame AC doesnt allow qualifying at Nords like the real track where you can do the outlap on the gp layout then cut back onto the gp layout to start your first timed lap which avoids the very long outlap.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
I reckon let's just have a qually server up beforehand. It can obviously double as a practice server. Then before race night, I can set a grid based on the best times in your nominated car, otherwise if no time set, I'll put you towards the rear of the grid.

Let's say 20 degrees and clear for weather, 100% grip, using the car list I posted earlier.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
Is that the list with the 72D? ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
What about a 2.5 hour race around Magione?  Robins???

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »

Just because the cars are faster doesn't mean the drivers would be faster in them  ;)

Missing the point, Not talking about the duration of the race, but merely the first lap. Even a good driver in a slow car isn't going to be over taking a slow"er" driver in a fast car. Give the faster cars (not drivers) a clean run ahead of the slower cars regardless of lap times. The Qualifying sessions will sort it out anyway.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »
What about a 2.5 hour race around Magione?  Robins???

Sounds more fun
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »

Just because the cars are faster doesn't mean the drivers would be faster in them  ;)

Missing the point, Not talking about the duration of the race, but merely the first lap. Even a good driver in a slow car isn't going to be over taking a slow"er" driver in a fast car. Give the faster cars (not drivers) a clean run ahead of the slower cars regardless of lap times. The Qualifying sessions will sort it out anyway.

The GT cars are all very close and differences in drivers will have much more effect on laptimes then in cars, sure if the fastest guys are in the fastest cars then someone at much the same level wont likely beat them in the slowest car of the pack. Laptimes will vary likely 5 to 6 seconds over an 8 minute plus lap here between the slowest and fastest car and times between fastest and slowest drivers will likely vary by 30 seconds or more.  ;)

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
Fastest group to slowest group of car categories are the way it's run in real life, it's also the way iracing does it with their series.. the nords 24hr i watched a bit of last night had Audi R8 LMS, then Porsche 911 GT3 R, Kia Optima, Mazda MX-5 layed out in that order on the grid

obviously sorted by qualifying times in each make for this instance.. but in ours I'm sure sit would be RSR 2017, Huracan ST, GT3, GT2  I believe?

It also might help sort the qualifying a little easier?
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal