Xtreme Gaming Network

THE Oculus Rift Thread

Author Topic: THE Oculus Rift Thread  (Read 84964 times)

Rolz

Re: THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »
Just a heads up, I bought a CV1 2 weeks ago from Amazon.

Cost about $870 delivered in under a week!

And oh boy! Amazing!! had to move my apps around a little to suit the new layout but it's amazing!

FOV is better than the DK2... DK2 felt like I had a dive mask on where the CV1 actually feels like I have a racing helmet on.
You still need to move your head to look, but you have to do this anyway when you have a helmet on.

Racing people is awesome as I'm not second guessing how close I am too them... I can see it so racing is really close.
Hitting apexes heaps cleaner and dare I say it I'm feeling like I'm driving a little better because of it.

I was dubious because of the res, but it's heaps better than the DK2 so hitting break points (one of my issues with the DK2)  is a non-issue now...

if only they now had the VR for the launch menu...

Still overall wow... my triples are now basically obsolete  ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »
What's it like for a long session though. I generally play 3-4 hours a day and get the impression that much time in VR land would be too much.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »
Sounds great Rolz!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »
Thank you, Rolz. Tell us more... long sessions, any bad side... whatever.

Rolz

« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
What's it like for a long session though. I generally play 3-4 hours a day and get the impression that much time in VR land would be too much.

For AC I've done a few 2 hour stints and last weekend about 3hours on a Saturday night.
The first few longer sessions my neck was getting a little tire/sore, but this week no issues.
I think it's a matter of getting the neck get used to it, I was conscious not to overdo it straight away because of this.

Monday just gone I did a 20 lap race (45min straight) and it was just awesome, no issues, not even the "next day exercise sore".  ;D

But then this is a driving game where you are 95% of the time looking forward anyway, I did find however on another VR game that involves lots of head moving I was really getting quite a sore neck after a short period of time... I've backed off this one until I my neck gets used to it some more.

only in game you have them on, if you need to bail out to another server you have to take off the VR to navigate launch menu... the VR desktop app ($22) doesn't work switching between game and that just yet or I'd never take them off. ;)

Only one slightly annoying issue I had was that there is a cable guide that's metal on the unit, being bald this sort of digs into my skull after a bit so I've put some strapping tape over it.  :P

I was glad I did initially have the DK2 because I found out I was ok with VR... a few friend that I showed it to had a high probability of feeling unwell after using it.

Something I strongly recommend testing before outlaying... when I was scouting out on ebay for one this was a high reason for ppl selling them.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »
Thanks. Things important to remember:

1. try before you buy (I might have to spend my miles in a trip to Brisbane ;))
2. check about spectacles (I still have some hair, but I can't see very well and I do not think contacts + VR for a few hours every night is a good combination)

Rolz

« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
Thanks. Things important to remember:

1. try before you buy (I might have to spend my miles in a trip to Brisbane ;))
2. check about spectacles (I still have some hair, but I can't see very well and I do not think contacts + VR for a few hours every night is a good combination)

yeah next time you are up here for sure pop over :)

As for glasses maybe an issue
[youtube]RHV_-EzN6Ho[/youtube]

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
yep. That does not sound too promising. But thanks for the invitation. I might actually use it ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal