Xtreme Gaming Network

Finally got my toy

Author Topic: Finally got my toy  (Read 13637 times)

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
Finally got my toy
« on: March 23, 2018, 07:34:36 PM »
Well, I finally have my toy here and am going to try and get her ready for a track day in May. She's not a bad starting point for a track car but we'll see how reliable she's going to be.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got my toy
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:39:45 PM »
Nice! 
I'm sure it'll be fun.  But yeah, track days take a toll on the car.  Lots of heat to get rid of, lots of brake pads & tyres to replace :D

My track toy is a Toyota 86.  It needed a bit of attention before tracking, too, even though it was only a year old at the start. 

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:22:55 PM »
Looking to start with straightening all the bent fins on the intercooler, braided brake and clutch lines and a decent set of competition brake lines and synthetic fluid. Will also add an oil cooler and most likely try and source a more efficient radiator.

Over time, I'll get it all up to par but will most likely use it as a bit of a weekend cruiser for a drive through the adelaide hills from time to time too. That will mean the springs and shocks will very much be a comprimise unless I have 2 distinct sets and just change it over for track days where I trailer it to the meets.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Nice! 
I'm sure it'll be fun.  But yeah, track days take a toll on the car.  Lots of heat to get rid of, lots of brake pads & tyres to replace :D

My track toy is a Toyota 86.  It needed a bit of attention before tracking, too, even though it was only a year old at the start.

You go to eastern creek Bird? My mate Matt is there quite a lot. Have attached a pic of his track car it's quite noticeable. I think he bought it from someone he met at the track as before he was just in his road WRX.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
That's a nice one, Joe.  I've been to EC a few times, but haven't see that car yet.  I think I'd remember, that paintjob looks great :) 
Altho I haven't been out in the past few months.   I used to mix it up with a few visits to Wakefield Park, too.  It's a great little circuit.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »
Should share the reason why my driving has deteriorated.

A late night browsing ebay while slightly inebriated led to a welding machine delivered to my front door after a couple of weeks. Which meant I had to get something to weld conveniently forgetting that I've got no idea how to weld and worked with metal at all  ;D

So bought a cheap 1982 Ranger Rover Classic which according to the owner had just a bit of rust along the sills. Well it turned out he was underselling it a bit. There is rust EVERYWHERE but at least the chassis is in a reasonable good nick. So a perfect project to learn how to weld.

Forgot to take a photo before pushing the heap of rust into the shed but here is one of the rear floor removed to allow the boss to inspect the damage.

Its a bit slower than a Subie or 86 but at least its got a V8 :P

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:32:41 PM by Mael »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:49:46 AM »
I have had a old range rover v8 before,  if it stops leaking oil it means its empty and needs more ,  nice motor to work on,  I pulled a few down, learnt a lot from that motor  8)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:58:15 PM by Phil.8 »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 07:44:44 AM »
You are a funny man Mael, problems with the Range Rover do not stop at rust unfortunately :o. I person I know put a the diesel engine from a Discovery into a Range Rover, he is very happy with the result.

Only recently heard the same comment about an engine leaking oil , if it stops it's empty at the HARS aircraft museum at Albion Park. They were referring to the engines in a Lockheed Super Constellation. they are a 18 cylinder radial engine , two banks of 9 cylinder behind each other, supercharged and  turbocharged, 55ltr,  putting out 3500 bhp!!!!, built in 1951.

https://hars.org.au/lockheed-c-121c-super-constellation/
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 06:01:47 PM »
You are a funny man Mael, problems with the Range Rover do not stop at rust unfortunately :o. I person I know put a the diesel engine from a Discovery into a Range Rover, he is very happy with the result.

Only recently heard the same comment about an engine leaking oil , if it stops it's empty at the HARS aircraft museum at Albion Park. They were referring to the engines in a Lockheed Super Constellation. they are a 18 cylinder radial engine , two banks of 9 cylinder behind each other, supercharged and  turbocharged, 55ltr,  putting out 3500 bhp!!!!, built in 1951.

Fantastic sight and sound when that thing starts up

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 06:32:00 PM »

Have you seen it happen IRL  :o :o :o 8) 8) 8)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »

Yep, I live nearby that airport

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 06:30:06 AM »

Yep, I live nearby that airport
I am soooo jealous :(.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »
While waiting on Jamie to show us how to fit a bigger turbo onto a Subaru (and beating dents out from track-day scrimmages)

Here is a image before replacing inner and outer sills on the drivers side, welding helmet waiting patiently under the car ;D

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 02:56:08 PM »
You're gonna have a scratched up, unviewable lens in that helmet if you keep putting it down like that. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal