Xtreme Gaming Network

VR recommendations in 2019

Author Topic: VR recommendations in 2019  (Read 19059 times)

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
VR recommendations in 2019
« on: March 23, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »
I know this is covered a few times but just got a bonus from my boss for working obscene amount of hours in the last few weeks with instructions to buy myself a VR headset for my online racing. Since I only spend race nights in my sim usually I am looking at the value of getting the Occulus rift vs one of the cheaper headsets. If I get a cheaper headset, I can also get the wheel and shifter for my clubsport wheel project but I am reasonably happy with my TS300 GT for now except for the horrible brake pedal feel.

My budget at the moment is $750 and the only sims I use right now is AC and on the rare occasion, Kart Racing Pro.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: VR recommendations in 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 06:02:35 PM »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 01:21:04 PM »
Thanks Rooshooter.

I opted to get the occulus rift S. I figured the lower resolutions would be easier on my hardware giving me a little margin and the games that have the specific support built in will hopefully give better performance.

Thanks again and can't wait to get it and test it out.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
Thanks Rooshooter.

I opted to get the occulus rift S. I figured the lower resolutions would be easier on my hardware giving me a little margin and the games that have the specific support built in will hopefully give better performance.

Thanks again and can't wait to get it and test it out.

Rift S sounds good , let us know what you think after a good shakedown  :).

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:01:17 PM »
I got the rift on Thursday and only just set it up. The Occulus VR works fine but have only managed to run AC on the virtual desktop so far. Not what I was hoping for but will keep working on it.

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 11:55:15 PM »
Just got it sorted and I f*&^ing love it. I can see the apexes and after 10 laps have met me previous best times but a lot more consistent. Being that I am only running an R9 380, it gets a little dicey on fast changes of direction so a good used rx 580 might be on the cards. Might even find a second one down the track and crossfire them.

Its just a completely new experience and I can't wait to spend more time in the rig now

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 04:53:54 PM »
Just got it sorted and I f*&^ing love it. I can see the apexes and after 10 laps have met me previous best times but a lot more consistent. Being that I am only running an R9 380, it gets a little dicey on fast changes of direction so a good used rx 580 might be on the cards. Might even find a second one down the track and crossfire them.

Its just a completely new experience and I can't wait to spend more time in the rig now
I agree it is amazing, but you really need to run at at least 80FPS , an upgrade of your GPU will be next. Enjoy the experience :) :) 8) 8).

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 10:06:05 PM »
Was hovering around 45 fps on low to med settings so need to do something. Looking at upgrades now and that should help.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
The refresh rate on most headsets is 90hz so ideally you want to be minimum 90fps for the smoothest experience.

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »
I've had to turn down a lot on my system but have just installed the rx580 and will see how it goes. I will test running the screen from a basic secondary card to take some more load off the main card. I have an old card floating around somewhere. the system may get a bit hot with the 380 and 580 in it

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »
Your wait may be over Dave O ;D but it is WMR so tracking is not perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=929&v=MyeARsSCk2M
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:31:30 PM by rooshooter »

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »
Your wait may be over Dave O ;D but it is WMR so tracking is not perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=929&v=MyeARsSCk2M

Yeah been watching the Reverb very closely and looks pretty good, will be a while before it's available here though.

Also very interested in what the specs and price will be on the Vive Cosmos when it's released. 2080ti might be on the horizon  ;) 8)
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »
We are getting closer to reality :o

Offline Captain Slow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 02:32:06 AM »
Go into the Oculus Debug Tool and disable ASW. I suffered from 45-48fps but now with some tweaking with content manager and disabling ASW running a fine and dandy 89fps. That 45fps was after upgrading the graphics card to a RX5700 8mb as well which almost made me cry. However with perseverance and much scrolling of the interweb I found some helpful info and got the desired FPS.
I must say though if you like AC in VR, you have to get Dirt Rally and give that a whirl. it'll blow your f'ing mind but I will warn you, you might end up with some severe motion sickness. I had to stop after doing a quarter of a stage the first time I played in VR.....

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 11:47:45 AM »

I can't wait any longer, ordered one of these today. A Christmas present to myself ;D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal