Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 16 Sign Up Thread - Porsche Carrera Cup

Author Topic: Season 16 Sign Up Thread - Porsche Carrera Cup  (Read 45437 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Season 16 Sign Up Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
Didn't I hear a rumor ARSE and XGN may combine?

I did hear this a while back, it would be nice and raise the grids considerably. I dont know how many regulars they have but with us getting around 24 including a couple of their guys already with them joining we should be getting closer to 32 starters most weeks which would make for some fun big pack racing.  ;D

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 07:37:38 PM »

I did hear this a while back, it would be nice and raise the grids considerably. I dont know how many regulars they have but with us getting around 24 including a couple of their guys already with them joining we should be getting closer to 32 starters most weeks which would make for some fun big pack racing.  ;D

There was about 6-8 that I would extend the offer too initially, that were always showing up each week.

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
I'll sign up, I'm enjoying the Thursday nights so I'll see how we go for tuesdays :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 12:49:04 AM »
Based on the SuperCar Cup win.

Take a look at this Wally and tell me what you think.
I've seeded the current signed up drivers using your all time stat's and grouped them in to clusters, you could probably do a better job with a little statistical wizardry.
The car time and rankings are very provisional as I've only run one AI based test so far, but more to follow. Cars could also take a weighting on how difficult they are to drive.

I do actually like that idea of driver and car ranking, if we had a supercar season then one option could be to rank all drivers and then limit them to only their rank car or lower. For example as that table shows an A grade driver could only chose a car thats ranked A but then someone ranked C could chose A,B or C ranked cars and An E ranked driver could chose any car.

This would simply limit the quickest guys from also picking the quickest car but lower ranked drivers may not necessarily be quickest in the quickest car as it may be a bit trickier to drive so they can chose a car they are more comfortable with and that is best for them.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »

There was about 6-8 that I would extend the offer too initially, that were always showing up each week.
Go for it! There's room.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »

I've seeded the current signed up drivers using your all time stat's and grouped them in to clusters, you could probably do a better job with a little statistical wizardry.
The car time and rankings are very provisional as I've only run one AI based test so far, but more to follow. Cars could also take a weighting on how difficult they are to drive.

I do actually like that idea of driver and car ranking, if we had a supercar season then one option could be to rank all drivers and then limit them to only their rank car or lower. For example as that table shows an A grade driver could only chose a car thats ranked A but then someone ranked C could chose A,B or C ranked cars and An E ranked driver could chose any car.

This would simply limit the quickest guys from also picking the quickest car but lower ranked drivers may not necessarily be quickest in the quickest car as it may be a bit trickier to drive so they can chose a car they are more comfortable with and that is best for them.
This is similar in concept to Bird's old car buying system. Faster cars cost more, and the lower you finish, the more money you win. The hard thing here is ranking the drivers, as those all time stats are gathered over many different types of cars and also handicap systems. For instance, from a quick eyeball of GzeroD's list, Mael should certainly be higher going by recent results. Interesting idea though.

I wouldn't want people to have to swap cars too often though. People don't like that in general, preferring to settle into a car.

I'm leaning towards letting people choose whatever car they enjoy driving, really. I'd hate to force Phil to drive a Porsche ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:13:54 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
Nice to see 24 already signed up and yes I know the limit is not 24, I wonder what season has had the most sign ups and also what is the largest turnout for a Tuesday league race. I remember seeing over 30 signed up a few seasons but don't recall seeing more then 24 in a server yet, it would be great to have 30 or more on a race night but to actually come close to filling an OSRW grid limit we would likely need 40+ to sign up due to the usual percentage unable to make each night. This simply means even if people see 30 sign ups not to get discouraged as they should still easily get a start if available on a race night.

If we get very large numbers of sign ups then it would need better notice from those unable to make a particular round to ensure those wanting a start can always get in. I am unsure what the grid limit or server limit would be as we haven't ever had many more to even really need to run the OSRW mod versions of most tracks. Maybe the next season we will get a bigger turnout but there are always reasons some cant make a night so mostly we need more to keep signing in to allow for this and hope to get some larger grids next season.
Biggest turnout (not signup) was 26 in the Maserati GT4 season.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »
You could also simplify it and just rate the top group of quicker guys A and simply not let them chose any of the top 3 cars. The ruf, Lambo or gt3 rs and let everyone else choose whatever car they want. The rest of the cars seem a bit closer then these 3 which in the current build seem a bit quicker at least using just this track as an example.

At Spa I am 2 to 3.5 seconds faster in those top 3 cars then all the rest. Racing the nismo gtr against joe in the gt3rs made for some great racing in practice.

Race pace wise I couldnt quite match him, maybe about .5 per lap down but felt I still had a chance plus this is likely the worst track for the gtr so any other track thats not Monza it would be a bit more competitive and not the slowest car in the field probably.

If I had one of the top 3 cars I would still be getting 2 to 3 seconds per lap on him so it would split the field a bit more. Its like if in f1 they only put rookies in the merc, ferrari and red bull and the top drivers in the other cars. I wonder how that would work to spice up the racing ;)

Offline Cursed

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
I'd like to join in too, please.

I'm new around here but not new to AC or this online racing business.  Most recently I'm a regular on the ARSE forums and their leagues when they run them.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »

I like this idea for Thursay season
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
I'd like to join in too, please.

I'm new around here but not new to AC or this online racing business.  Most recently I'm a regular on the ARSE forums and their leagues when they run them.

Hi Cursed, and welcome to XGN. I've sent you a PM with details.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »

This is similar in concept to Bird's old car buying system. Faster cars cost more, and the lower you finish, the more money you win.
I remember this .. . it added a whole other dimension to the season, trying to plan you spend based around tracks etc.

Offline nith

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
In for this season as well

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2017, 03:55:20 PM »
I can understand if people don't want to keep changing cars, but if they're good drivers, they should be able to race anything.
Having said that, a good notice is required so that drivers who are changing cars can get some practice to dial in their car.

Offline Slow_As

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Are we looking to do Australian tracks - in keeping with the Aus Porsche cup theme (if Porsche cup wins the popular vote) - or a bit of everything?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal