Xtreme Gaming Network

Thursday Night Fun Racing

Author Topic: Thursday Night Fun Racing  (Read 37922 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Thursday Night Fun Racing
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:44:48 AM »
Would anyone be interesting in continuing the Thursday night sessions as a casual race night? I would definitely benefit from more online racing sessions in addition to hotlapping and AI racing. We could use the same car/ track combo as the current Tuesday night round to give some practice for the following Tuesday. Alternatively, a new combination of car/track could be tried out and perhaps even testing one of the new custom tracks like Aosta.

I would be happy to assist with setup work if there is enough interest.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
Re: Thursday Night Fun Racing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »
I'd be keen for more online racing and I can make Thursday! Personally I'd like to race the GT cars like BMW GT2 vs Z4 GT3, maybe it's only because I've spent more time in these cars but I think they are a little more forgiving, the brakes are better as well as the handling.

Either way sign me up please  8)

EDIT: New signature - anyone know how to resize the image a notch, [img=100x50] doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:00:19 PM by Phil »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
Even though I am totally useless, I really enjoy racing with RL people. Just adds a dynamic AI doesn't give, as well as I learn stuff.. slowly.
Also helps training for dealing with race nerves and choking under pressure.

I'm keen to sign up but if there is a full grid I'll sit out and let someone else have a go.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »
Id be up for it in any combo, I do have tennis Thursdays normally but in between seasons atm and so will join in whenever I can if theres a few to race. Also we dont play when it rains and being in Melbourne thats every second Thursday so I should be around a bit.  :)

To edit, drove Aosta in AC the other day and already in love with the layout, great flow and fairly tricky technical curves. I didnt drive NKP so much even though I bought it day one of beta or whatever it was back then. Would be great in any car racing MP, I will have another go at making the AI file for it this afternoon just no idea how to make the artificial idiots drive the first hairpin properly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:01:16 PM by marty »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
It would be good for the reserves to get some time on track with some of us as well.   I can't guarantee it will try to assist with numbers.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
Would be best if there would be a bookijg free server or maybe even use the kegety mod to allow users to join any session without needing to be pre booked. Then just have a password and anyone can join til its full, I do hope Kunos adds this to the official game as it works well but atm both server and client need to download a mod to make it work.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
Would be best if there would be a bookijg free server or maybe even use the kegety mod to allow users to join any session without needing to be pre booked. Then just have a password and anyone can join til its full, I do hope Kunos adds this to the official game as it works well but atm both server and client need to download a mod to make it work.

I'll look into this. I think that's the best option.
How does a 15 min qual, 10 min race cycle sound?
Does the mod work? I thought I read it had broken in latest builds.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »
Any ideas on car/track combo?

How does Lotus 2 Eleven @Vallelunga sound? - used recently for test trackday, different car from current season, good "trainer" car (?), Vallelunga not used in current season and seems to suit the Eleven. This is just a suggestion however. Others seem to be able to pick good car/track combos. GT cars are good but seem to suit tracks like Silverstone or Imola that we have just done.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »
Marty and I were saying last night that the Abarth 500 @ Old Monza would be exciting :p

If you could have a random selection on the night that would be good, so everyone goes in fresh.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
What do you want to train for, though?  Simple, honest cars are best for learning.  I wish we had a FF or something akin to the f1600 from nkp...those are the real learner's cars.

As for the setup; why don't you just add everyone;  they can join during the qual can't they?  And well, if you can't join during a race, that's just that.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »
I was thinking that the Eleven was the closest to the f1600 in AC at present. Is this the case?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »
As for the setup; why don't you just add everyone;  they can join during the qual can't they?  And well, if you can't join during a race, that's just that.

Prebooked is fine but then your still limited to those drivers and if new guys or reserves want to race then they cant, having an open session will allow larger fields to fill in for those pre booked but not starting. I will give the mod a try again and see if its working again.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 06:27:34 PM »
I just tested the Kegety mod and have no issues joining the few open freejoin servers with it, user side its quite simple you just need to download the mod and install. It works as a prebooked server but only the cars are pre booked any person with the mod can join the server at any time and jump into any car not being used. Server side I think some lines need to be changed to adjust for the current server with the original mod but there are a few servers up atm but most are also passworded.

http://www.kegetys.fi/booking-free-multiplayer-for-assetto-corsa-early-access/

It does eliminate the booking process so thats the main advantage otherwise it works the same as a prebooked server with the same limitations so you cant change cars and so the basic open server with lots of available cars on a track rotation is also not a bad idea but then the silly booking system gets in the way. So you really need to limit shorter sessions or have very long booking times.

Still this has the advantage of allowing new guys with a password to join in and for a main race or 2 you could have longer sessions similar to the league nights if people wanted that but probably just do qualy and race maybe 15 min each so would give 4 races an hour.

The simplest option for users is to have a prebooked server but then you need an admin available to make changes where a freejoin server can be pretty much left alone and work as a prebooked one.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »

Prebooked is fine but then your still limited to those drivers and if new guys or reserves want to race then they cant, having an open session will allow larger fields to fill in for those pre booked but not starting. I will give the mod a try again and see if its working again.

I think you can put everyone - including reserves - on the list, and whoever joins, joins (up to the limit)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »
I think you can put everyone - including reserves - on the list, and whoever joins, joins (up to the limit)

Guys, can we try it on the Practise server please? You can add me to the end of the entry list since I no longer have access. There are often only  1 or 2 drivers on the server but, as a reserve, I cannot get on. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal