Xtreme Gaming Network

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Author Topic: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  (Read 60026 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
Saw this a while ago:

Looks like you could run 3 at 1440p pretty well but won't get the most from 144hz. Guess it comes down to whether you want 1440p or 144hz. I'd be curious what a 1080p 27" monitor looks like in a rig compared to 1440p. I'm also curious how much bigger 27s seem over 24s so let me know when you get yours  ;D

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
triple,  I linked the wrong one first, was meant to be a g sync one,    I was thinking 3 x 27 inch at 1440 might make everything all skippy ? ,  even though it would probably be way nicer to view ?
I have only one of these monitors in this video
At 1440p you might need to lower a few settings in some games but gsync will keep everything smooth as silk.
One concern for me (never used triples before) is connections, a quick search found this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3382892/asus-strix-1080-monitor-setup.html
If you can't daisy chain, I wouldn't have a clue, you'd be using two displayport and one hdmi reducing all monitors back to 60hz I think. Anyway that'd be something I'd investigate further if it were me, maybe a gpu with 3 displayport for high refresh rate?

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
Saw this a while ago:

Looks like you could run 3 at 1440p pretty well but won't get the most from 144hz. Guess it comes down to whether you want 1440p or 144hz. I'd be curious what a 1080p 27" monitor looks like in a rig compared to 1440p. I'm also curious how much bigger 27s seem over 24s so let me know when you get yours  ;D
Ha posted the same link lol

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »
So triple when using a hdmi in the mix cant go above 60Hz ?  daisy chaining should be no issue with correct cables ?

I guess my real question should be is pixel count or refresh rate more important

or

144Hz in the centre monitor and 60Hz on the sides maybe, only problem is I do like to use triple in any game that it will work in and pubg is the only game I have atm that triples don't work in

how can buying a monitor be so hard :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:02:13 PM by Phil.8 »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
Thanks rooshooter , will give that a go

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
So triple when using a hdmi in the mix cant go above 60Hz ?  daisy chaining should be no issue with correct cables ?

I guess my real question should be is pixel count or refresh rate more important

or

144Hz in the centre monitor and 60Hz on the sides maybe, only problem is I do like to use triple in any game that it will work in and pubg is the only game I have atm that triples don't work in

how can buying a monitor be so hard :)
My understanding of the way it works is 1440p 60hz is limitation of the monitor/hdmi, and having all three monitors clocked the same is a limitation of nvidia surround. I could be wrong and it's worth digging into further, I'd hate to see someone buy 3 ~1000ish monitors and not get to use them to their full potential. One thing though is you'd still have gsync which is nice provided you get one with gsync over hdmi asus pg279q has it I think.
Partially the reason why I went a single ultra wide, the other reason is space lol

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2017, 06:43:57 PM »
Current crop of 1440p gsync monitors have one displayport and one hdmi (I think daisy chain is out of the question), with the limiting factor of 60hz over hdmi. If you're ok with not having gsync and still have a high refresh then something like benq https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36324/benq-zowie-xl2730-27in-144hz-led-gaming-monitor might do the job. Or try to find 27inch 1080p gsync. Oooor 1080p high refresh no gsync.
I guess if your rig is mostly gaming then 1080p will be fine even at 27inch or so
One more link for good measure lol https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37080/viewsonic-xg3202-c-32in-curved-fast-action-144hz-gaming-monitor

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
Based on zero experience with either 1440p or 144hz I'd say go 144hz. Gut feeling is you won't notice a huge difference between 1080p and 1440p but the smoothness of 144hz will be noiiiiiiiiiice. Of course I could just be talking shit and you should ignore me. Glad you're being the guinea pig here  ;D

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
The refresh rate is a bit of a personal difference/preference thing. 
Some people can genuinely see the difference between 60Hz and higher refresh rates, but a lot cannot.   I'd actually check it out first before pulling the pin - unless it does not matter.   

The other important aspect is usage.  There's no single great solution for everyone.   I prefer screen real estate, and I hate curved screens... hence my 43" 4k montior.  But I've used triples before, and for racing they're quite good (side-by-side).    Sadly the triple setup is not the best for anything else.  I also detest having only 1080 pixels vertically, I can't even fit an a4 page on it. 

Each to his own, I guess.

Edit: oh, and the issue with the widescreen setup, is that a lot of games don't like that kind of unusual aspect ratio.  So again: it all depends on usage.   Altho if you've triples, at least you can change the config to use a single screen.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
Hi res like 4K is another level to graphics that has to be seen to be appreciated... I could never go back, for example the dash in the Panterra looks like it has just been treated with a vinyl restorer it is shiny and the level of detail on the guages on some cars, is amazing, you can read the manufacturing part numbers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:21:32 PM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
Based on zero experience with either 1440p or 144hz I'd say go 144hz. Gut feeling is you won't notice a huge difference between 1080p and 1440p but the smoothness of 144hz will be noiiiiiiiiiice. Of course I could just be talking shit and you should ignore me. Glad you're being the guinea pig here  ;D

You are probably right, I have no clue what is the best way to go,  I don't mind triples, I am used to them and love have my side monitors to put stuff on,    So I am thinking 3 x 27 inch at 144hz  but not sure :)  or 3 x 27 at 1440p,  I need to get into a shop and see some in person I think

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:45 PM »
The refresh rate is a bit of a personal difference/preference thing. 
Some people can genuinely see the difference between 60Hz and higher refresh rates, but a lot cannot.   I'd actually check it out first before pulling the pin - unless it does not matter.   

The other important aspect is usage.  There's no single great solution for everyone.   I prefer screen real estate, and I hate curved screens... hence my 43" 4k montior.  But I've used triples before, and for racing they're quite good (side-by-side).    Sadly the triple setup is not the best for anything else.  I also detest having only 1080 pixels vertically, I can't even fit an a4 page on it. 

Each to his own, I guess.

Edit: oh, and the issue with the widescreen setup, is that a lot of games don't like that kind of unusual aspect ratio.  So again: it all depends on usage.   Altho if you've triples, at least you can change the config to use a single screen.
I haven't had any problems ultra wide yet, most modern games are on to it, I think the biggest issue was that some in-game ui would look stretched but the game would run fine. I came across a website that had fixes for this type of issues so I don't think it's a problem (so far, never had to use any), could be if you run some older games. The games that don't support the wider resolutions probably don't support multi monitor and you'll have black bars on the side, no drama we watch movies like that on our tvs.
Also if I had to choose, I'd take the high refresh rate over higher pixel density, the smoothness in racing sims is great and if you can match your fps with refresh rate in online shooters it does help...a little

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
Current crop of 1440p gsync monitors have one displayport and one hdmi (I think daisy chain is out of the question), with the limiting factor of 60hz over hdmi. If you're ok with not having gsync and still have a high refresh then something like benq https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36324/benq-zowie-xl2730-27in-144hz-led-gaming-monitor might do the job. Or try to find 27inch 1080p gsync. Oooor 1080p high refresh no gsync.
I guess if your rig is mostly gaming then 1080p will be fine even at 27inch or so
One more link for good measure lol https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37080/viewsonic-xg3202-c-32in-curved-fast-action-144hz-gaming-monitor

Well if cant daisy chain and stuck at 60 hz I might as well go 1440p then it seems

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal