Xtreme Gaming Network

S8R3: Silverstone pre-race chat

Author Topic: S8R3: Silverstone pre-race chat  (Read 37172 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: S8R3: Silverstone pre-race chat
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 01:07:09 PM »
Does AC output number of pit stops taken?  If so , it might open up more strategy if you just make it 1 or 2 compulsory pit stops and leave the fuel multiplier off?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:45 PM »
Does AC output number of pit stops taken?  If so , it might open up more strategy if you just make it 1 or 2 compulsory pit stops and leave the fuel multiplier off?
It doesn't, but I can make PLP output it into the server log. It might be an interesting strategy play, in addition to mandating a number of laps on soft tyres, now that we know how many laps each car has done on a particular tyre compound. I can see a more strategically complex GT3 season shaping up....
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »
Wally is there anywhere with ballast levels for race.

Edit found it in season standings.

I did run a few laps and agree with grat plp too soft here, I think I can make a basic track mod and fix that.

I will give it a go after the gp and post the file here if I can get it to work properly as it would be good if we were actually penalized for going 4 wheels outside the white line and not backing off.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:50:51 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »

I did run a few laps and agree with grat plp too soft here, I think I can make a basic track mod and fix that.

I will give it a go after the gp and post the file here if I can get it to work properly as it would be good if we were actually penalized for going 4 wheels outside the white line and not backing off.

It would be interesting to try it. It should be fairly easy. From memory, there's an attribute of each surface that says whether it's valid track or not. The only downside is that everyone would have to download another version of Silverstone, to avoid failing checksum errors on other servers. From that point of view, I don't really know if it's worth it just for the sake of PLP. We've always survived Silverstone before.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »

I said I would have been fine in both cases. Anyway: if you do this, let us try it, so we all know where the line is. My line is never off the white line at copse (unless I fuck it up, that is) but at the exit of Stowe I probably have four wheels off the line one out of three laps, but I am not completely sure, as you cannot perfectly see where the line is (it also seems that in reality they are very permissive there). I am also not sure about where I am at the exit of Luffield (again, they tend to be permissive there).

All in all: I think it is fine as it is. The only disappointment would be for some of us to start the race and get three warnings in one lap just before the track limits are different than what we are used to. And if you have to do a new track just to be more severe at copse, I do not think it is worth it, as I think you do not gain there unless you really plan it.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »
Looking at the surfaces.ini for Silverstone everything but grass is marked as valid track. Its quite easy to change but I don't know how to make it into an extra layout as zandvoort was last week. Its easy to make a 2nd track but then this needs either a 450mb dload or people to copy folders from the original into another.

Simply changing the surface.ini is another option and using this as the checksum so all not using the correct one would be kicked but then anyone running rsr will likely get flagged and may be banned from it so not a good idea. I don't remember how you did it in the race where you upped the grip level if you just repackaged the entire track for all to dl. But all that's really needed is to use this surface ini instead. The only surfaces that need to be valid track are

[SURFACE_4]
KEY=TARMSIL_A_
FRICTION=0.98
DAMPING=0
WAV=
WAV_PITCH=0
FF_EFFECT=NULL
DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
BLACK_FLAG_TIME=0
IS_VALID_TRACK=1
SIN_HEIGHT=0
SIN_LENGTH=0
IS_PITLANE=0
VIBRATION_GAIN=0
VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

[SURFACE_5]
KEY=TARMSIL_B_
FRICTION=0.99
DAMPING=0
WAV=
WAV_PITCH=0
FF_EFFECT=NULL
DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
BLACK_FLAG_TIME=0
IS_VALID_TRACK=1
SIN_HEIGHT=0
SIN_LENGTH=0
IS_PITLANE=0
VIBRATION_GAIN=0
VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

You can add kerbs if you want to consider this part of track to be a little softer though Id prefer the white line as track limits. As is I think its very open to abuse and people can easily gain a large advantage in many sections. I did see this quite a bit at Aqua minerali in the imola round with many people running way wide on exit with not much intention of staying inside track limits. If PLP is activated then everyone would need to lift to avoid getting a warning so they wont gain any advantage but as is you could plan to carry more speed and run wide gaining quite a bit of time.

Its not just copse but nearly every corner exit, personally I think the white line should be the boundary as its pretty clear and easily seen. For errors with PLP if you lift off when you go wide it doesn't register and so this would ensure people don't plan to run wide as its either a warning or a time loss.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 12:16:15 AM »
I tried it with only track surface valid track and its a pretty clearly defined limit, white line is the boundary everywhere and as long as 1 wheel is on the surface which includes the white line its fine. Also a much better track to drive this way IMHO then the cutters paradise it is otherwise, you can soften it a little by making kerbs valid track but the way PLP works by going red any time your invalid, simply lift til green then safely re enter track you can avoid any penalty calls.

People would clearly need to drive differently but the way it is atm there is no risk in overdoing any corner and you can drive 2 or 3 cars wide in sections with no issue. Exit of Stowe, last corner, cops, t1 maggots beckets chapel complex you can go off track and get a significant gain at each part. I wont be around the rest of the season anyway but just seems to make track limits pretty useless with no defined boundary or any penalty for abusing the limits.

I'm sure many would hate having to stick to track limits but that's why there are the 3 warnings, also in qualy I think abusing limits is even more exploitable as I still don't think cuts are registered in race results as there hasn't been a single cut by anyone in any qualy session for a long time. Times aren't invalidated when in game penalties are off and you could gain 1.5 seconds or more at Silverstone by simply not worrying about the track limits. So even if the modified surface was used there is still no penalty for registering a cut in qualy, I doubt very much that no person got no cuts at Imola in any lap during qualy while not many were in the races there were a few.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:53 AM »
It's not worth the  effort, guys. All KS tracks are similar, and we've never had problems before.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »
Looking at the weather forecast (race is at 12:00), it's heading for cold and raining.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
Good old English summer!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
Every car I've driven around Silverstone has been faster staying within the edge of the track anyway, so people are penalising themselves if they run wide - although that may have changed after the latest updates?  Either way, it's the same for everyone so if you can't beat 'em join' em ;)

I'm yet to do any practice at this track but will hopefully run a few laps tonight.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
I found the GX feels a lot better here than it did last week. After some aero advice from Rolz I managed to shave 2 seconds off my PB last night, but still not up there with the big boys. Can't wait to get into that GTC and mash my brake pedal!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
Every car I've driven around Silverstone has been faster staying within the edge of the track anyway, so people are penalising themselves if they run wide - although that may have changed after the latest updates?  Either way, it's the same for everyone so if you can't beat 'em join' em ;)

I'm yet to do any practice at this track but will hopefully run a few laps tonight.

Just saw this discussion regarding track limits at the last f1 race in Spa and how the f1 didn't enforce its own rule.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/did-formula-one-ignore-its-own-rule-on-track-limits-1725993395

Here is the f1 rule regarding track limits.
Article 20.2 of Formula One’s 2015 Sporting Regulations states:

Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.

Making track limits the white line is a clear defined area, allowing more makes it more guess work. Sure its slower if you are concerned about going off track but that's kind of the point using a street track for example. People respect track limits more as they are enforced by solid concrete walls, at modern f1 tracks like Silverstone and Spa pretty much everyone abuses the track limits if they are allowed to. Then if a few people do abuse the limits everyone else pretty much has to if they want to keep up and in the end there is no point having a defined track surface if everyone can go wherever they feel like.

Since the kerb fix you can easily gain at many sections or simply not lose anything for making a mistake which is really a net gain I think. Had there been sand or a wall there youd lose lots of time or a car but with the astro runoffs its really makes tricky corners quite simple. Nearly every corner you could gain by going off track at Silverstone though its unlikely anything can be done for this race it would be nice to have properly enforced track limits in the future. PLP is a great app but when its so soft it may as well not be there, the only cuts it will register are errors as they are the only way you can possibly go wide enough to be considered off track.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
”For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.”

This is always the rule that I've abided by. If I could make PLP work like that, I would. I'm going to have a chat with the RSR boys.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 08:43:29 PM »
my setup
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal