Xtreme Gaming Network

S8R3: Silverstone Post-Race chat

Author Topic: S8R3: Silverstone Post-Race chat  (Read 21834 times)

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
S8R3: Silverstone Post-Race chat
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:24:48 PM »
Darn, second week in a row that I have had a Runtime error during the race. And I was having a great dice with Phil.8.

I hope it didn't cause a problem for anybody else.

Good fun while it lasted.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S8R3: Silverstone Post-Race chat
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »
That's rotten luck Rob!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »
was great battle Rob,  I did see you go flying past me on the grass and was confused, Horrible car though, not enjoying it at all, its  a chore
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
RACE RESULTS AND CHARTS

SEASON STANDINGS

SEASON STATS

Penalties
Penalties are given for careless accidents in turns 1 and 2 of each race.
Skaife(-12) for running into the rear of Grat(+12).
I looked long and hard at Christopheraser and Bafs, but I couldn't call it. They hit side by side, both moving into each other, so I call that a racing incident.

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood   72
Matthew111   69
Marty   69
Grat   66
Rolz   63
Jeremy   60
StanDaam   57
Freezer   51
Bacchulum   48
Wally   45
Phil.8   42
Joe   39
Bafs17   36
Chap111   33
Simone   27
Phil   24
Grubbet   21
Skaife   18
Rob   18
christopheraser   15
Gratulin   12

Congratulations to Guybrushon the round win.

Season Podium
1. Guybrush Threepwood, 143 pts
2. Matthew111, 142 pts
3. Jeremy, 130 pts
3. Marty, 130 pts

Achilles Heels take the lead back from Struggle Street Racing Crew in the teams' championship by just 3 points.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:11:22 PM »
That was an awesome race for me, an epic battle with Bacchulum. I was about less than a second off his rear bumper for 15 out of the 24 laps, both before and after our pit stops, patiently waiting, looking for a pass, but none was forthcoming. It was brilliant racing. No contacts, except for the very final lap into the final complex of right handers at Club, when Bacchulum finally ran wide on shot tyres, leaving me room to pass, but then I was a little off-line, also on worn rubber, and oversteered a little bumping Bacchulum and sending me off the track. I thought I had him there, after such a long battle... if my right foot had been a little more patient, I might have made the pass stick at the death knell. Well done Bacchulum, that was brilliant and clean racing. I had a big grin on my face as we crossed the line, even though I lost out.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:22:31 PM »
Was a fun race, I think with the lower ballast I had the pace on GB and he also ran the wrong tyres for the race. Qualifying I stuffed up a bit again but still was on the front row.

Still even with some possible good pace I couldn't quite make the pass and each time I tried we ran a few corners side by side which just brought Matthew more into the picture. I then decided to go plan B and try a 2 stopper but the time lost at the start held up by GB running a longer stint on hards and some traffic as I came back to the field a bit killed my strategy. I was 13.5 seconds behind Matthew after my second stop and had a bit of clear running for the most of it and had a proper crack at trying to make this up with 4 laps newer tyres but ended up falling about 3.5 seconds short.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »
Huge improvement on last weeks dismal results.
I took a new approach to set up this week after thinking back to what I did to cars in the old Rfactor days and it was a big improvement.
Managed to qualify 12 in the GX but got a great jump off the line and was up to 7th by the first lap.  Had a bit of pressure from behind from Grat for a while there but after some very clean dicing he slipped by.  Pitted after lap 12 for another set of mediums and jumped back out with Simone.  We had a great battle for a lap or two but then he slipped back.  From there it was pretty quiet and I got home in 8th.
Bring on the GTC....

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 12:46:39 AM »
Wanted to keep it consistent tonight and was able to do that. I started at the back due to spending the majority of the qually session talking to my wife  :o I avoided some of the early incidents in the first couple of turns, but then lost places to Rob and Bafs and Phil8.

Was braking early and on the sweet spot before lockup which I'm sure makes me slower, but at least my tyres stayed round for the whole race. As Phil pulled away into the distance all I could see what smoke coming off his tyres so assume he was a lot more aggressive than me  ;D

I pretty much spent the first 11 laps with Chap not far behind keeping it clean. I then came into the pits, screwed up a gear change at around the point the pit limiter comes on and slammed into the pit wall! I fixed the aero meaning a longer stop and Chap came out just in front of me. A couple of laps later Chap went wide at Copse and I followed him but not quite as wide and took the position.

Rest of my race was mostly uneventful; Simone came out of the pits just in front of me but was soon off into the distance, I thought I may have been able to avoid GB lapping me but he got me right at the end of his last lap (spinning the car over the line maybe not ideal though, I had to brake pretty hard before the car disappeared  :-*), then on my final lap Bafs was closing down on me fast with me only have 90% rubber on the fronts and sliding all over the place, although me did mention he had a 10 second penalty so guess I'd have held the spot regardless.

Glad to see the back of the GX. I know some people said they prefer it, but I find it harder to drive without the assists, though I'm still a relative newbie to this online racing lark!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:49:48 AM by Joe »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »
Actually since one of the recent AC updates, I haven't been flatspotting the GX. I was braking pretty hard last night, and I didn't get any flatspotting at all. I'd even forgotten about the flatspotting completely in the last couple of rounds. Something's changed.

Edit: maybe it's the 85% track grip we've had these last couple of rounds.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:47:47 AM by Wally »

Rolz

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:44:08 AM »
Top night racing!

It's strange - Practice I seem to have good pace and then during Qualifying I seem to tense up and can't get the same times.
I get over anxious/excited too much I guess :P

Race - Start was brilliant... practiced it a few times how to load up without bogging down or TC loosing it's shit. Won lots of spots there...
Dodged my team mate grat having an incident and then got a chance to do some racing. Had a top battle with Jeremy for a few laps and a small clearing came through and I got past (was pretty stoked there), then just focused on how tire wear was going, when to pit...

Came into pits on the 12-13 lap, now having some practice - mouse was already in the middle of the screen ready to click... click... click go go go - came out in the same position, then saw someone pit twice or something... Was Marty as he came up through like a bat out of hell pulling 2.11's like a mad man :)

I got my fastest laps in the 2nd half of the race and was averaging better than my Qual time.

I've had some luck this season with no serious incidents, but last night was arguably my best performance and I was pretty chuffed about it...  Wrists were really stiff and  index fingers were locked in a hooked gear change on paddles format :P

Probably took me until after midnight to wind down too... much to the annoyance of the fiancé 

;D

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »
I was having a ball racing wally,bacchulum, and my superiority was emerging ,meter  after  meter,corner after corner i was driving brilliantly lets put it  like this ;D.Then after only 7 laps i had a senile moment and pitted,,,botched !!!!!   ??? ??? ???realising the nightmare i had to pit again....BOTCHED!!!  I left the race in disgust 3 laps to go running out of fuel.

I WILL HAVE 2 GLASSES OF WINE NEXT TIME BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

I had fun with the GTC ...fun car!!!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:33:52 AM by Simone »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
Lol Simone :D

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 08:44:19 AM »
Tough race for me, but with some good news.

The good news is that the pace was there, suggesting that the podium finish at Zandvoort might not have been a fluke. For a rookie like me, this feels pretty good.

I struggled to find a good setup in the days before the race, but then last night during practice I softened the rear a bit more and stiffened dumpers under braking and I could finally run a bit less wing without getting the rear too loose at turn in. Quali went surprisingly well, then, grabbing 4th place with the last lap of the session, .023 from Matthew in 3rd.

I had no further ambitions than 4th place, really, so I settled for a smooth and easy start, with the idea of trying to stay close to Matthew for the whole 1st stint and then see. But unfortunately Skaife overestimated his hard tyres and arrived a bit too long at Village. I had a look at the mirrors just before braking (everything looked good) and was trying to keep an eye on Matthew's line in front of me. Conclusion: had no idea Skaife was there until it was way too late for me to go wide and try to avoid contact. But I do not think I could have done much in any case. Anyway: no big deal---these things are unavoidable any now and then.

Rejoined mid-pack, but the car was quite damaged: slow on the straights and with terrible understeer at The Loop and Luffield (probably some aero damage and huge graining on front tyres). I was also too tense: I think I really need to learn to stay calm in these situations. And I really did not feel confident enough to try to push or pass other drivers. I thought about a 2 stopper a few times, but every time I was getting a clean-ish lap, I was anyway 1 sec faster than most around me, and so changed my mind: bad idea: front tyres finally gave up on the last two laps of the stint and had a spin and a contact with Wally. (Sorry Wally!)

Went to pit and click repair body. Came out 12th. Car came out of the pits completely different. Now really fast and perfectly balanced. Looking at my times, only GB had a faster pace among 1 stoppers (i.e. Marty and Jeremy were faster than me, but stopped twice). Now the job ahead was to pass drivers as fast as possible not to lose time, as I was over 2 seconds faster than the pack. And it worked, with passes at Copse, Village, Stowe, and Luffield. I managed to gain 20 seconds over Freezer between lap 13 and 20, and finally passed him at Village on lap 21. At this point, I looked at the leaderboard, and Jeremy and Stan Daam were over 10 seconds ahead, so my last 3 laps were just a clean drive home (but I had a go at PB to see if I was really competitive or not: 2.11.899).

It was a shame not to be able to try to stay with the big guys ahead, and with Rolz being fast, it would have been a great night for the team. That said, Charlie Wallying awarded me a mega 12 points bonus for the 1st lap crash, so in terms of ranking I came out 4th of the night anyway, so I can't complain!

Now I am scared: the GX seems quite a handful from what I see from following others...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:50:17 AM by grat »

Rolz

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:01 AM »

I WILL HAVE 2 GLASSES OF WINE NEXT TIME BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

I know you shouldn't drink and drive, but I have a few beers before the race to help me calm my nerves...
Though too many beers and after the 24 laps I sure was busting to go to the toilet!!  :P

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »
I'm so ronery... so ronery... after a couple of laps I started singing along with Kim Jong-il... we had a great time... yes I did get the award... average gap 19 seconds... front and rear... so ronery and sadry arone... take the next verse Kim... bring it home now... try the fish... another drink Kim?...
Hey what the!! 3 corners from the end I'm shocked to see Jeremy arrive on the scene!! Kim stop singing!! Get outta the car, gotta concentrate!!... too late he passed me... I'm sorry Kim... where were we... there's no one, just me onry...  :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:42:04 PM by StanDaam »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal