Xtreme Gaming Network

S8R5: Mugello GP pre-race chat

Author Topic: S8R5: Mugello GP pre-race chat  (Read 24400 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: S8R5: Mugello GP pre-race chat
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
Thank you, Guybrush, but please notice the .9 after the .48!

For some reason I've always found Mugello somewhat more intuitive than most tracks (Silverstone is another one. Monza and Magione, for example, are two that I never get right. Maybe you can figure out what this means and suggest some sort of training?).

My main problem at Mugello is that I tend to crash quite a bit. :(

I'll try your setup if I find some time tomorrow, but I am pretty sure I simply cannot handle the kind of snappiness you handle. Thanks anyway!

If it is interesting: I always get some huge freeze on Marty's servers, including xgn practice. This is not the log-in minorating issue, as it happens on my first few laps, and even if I am alone in the server. But it is usually much better on Wally's league server, so maybe you have hopes..

Happy Italian Grand Prix!

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 09:57:24 PM »
OK, could not resist so I had two laps. The car feels a bit too uncertain to me: I do not feel confident to put the throttle down (especially exit of first corner), but maybe I should get used to it. Surely it does not seem the setup you were using in the video. It feels soft and grippy, but then oversteery mid-corner (especially on the last corner).  But again: this might be just me being unable to use it, or maybe I am so used to my setup that I just don't know how to adapt to yours. Surely it is very nice on the two initial esses (the change of direction is nice) and it is a bit faster on the straight.

I had a look at the numbers, and it is incredible how different they are from mine! The only thing that encourages me is that I understand you are more of a driver than an engineer. Meaning: you do not like playing with setup for too long. Am I right?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »
Cheers for the video GB, good to see that my line was pretty much the same as yours which means I've learnt something since starting AC! The speed you turn in and how soon you get on the throttle seems crazy though. I just did laps for an hour and low 1:52s are as good as I can get. Like Grat I also spin off a lot here :)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 11:40:06 PM »
Yes, it is the same setup Grat, although I did lower the height to 13 front and 23 back.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:51:55 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 06:27:13 AM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to do the video GB. Its great to see how it should be done. Unfortunately being a rather slow mortal it probably won't help me that much but still a great vid.

Thanks

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
you are fast Guy,actually you should start to compete in iracing and try to win some money,Huttu got 10.000 us dollars last time around maybe you could beat him.
I tried your setup but i threw it in the rubbish bin,i knew it i could not handle it.Your movie motivated me and so i went for some practice but sadly i am not any near(of course) your time,maybe a 51 with some more practice is a reality.So far i had been using only the default sets(dont have time to practice) but i should start to dust off my .....skills so that i can beat you ....FAIR AND SQUARE!!!!! :-\

I love the lotuses on AC tracks,my fellow italians at Assetto Corsa did a great job.......vero grat o no?  ;D

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
definitely vero. And I also agree with GB that the track is really good. We just do it better ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »
First of all, thanks for posting the video.

Funny eough, I was watching the video and noticed your braking points were all a few meters earlier than mine... So I was wondering what I was doing wrong, as---and with sincere modesty: I am proud to say so---all the rest seemed to be spot on (bar, of course, the fact that I fuck it up once per lap). Then I figured it out: you're doing the same lines and the same throttle, but with half the rear wing I need for that! I don't know how you keep it on track, as your top speed is like 10km/h higher than mine. No wonder you need to brake a few meters earlier. :(

I am not too sad of where I am, but my pb on optimal conditions of 1.48.9 is still very far...

One of the main tricks is to be able to find the setup compromise which gives the best total lap time or gives an advantage in a race. In these cars it seems lowering aero especially at the faster tracks will give the advantage and at Mugello passing on the main straight is really the best chance. Even if a higher aero setup can get a laptime not too far away you will be a sitting duck down the straight and the cornering or braking advantages are in sections where you most likely cant use this to pass others anyway. So if you end up mid pack you may just be stuck there and held up quite badly unable to pass and losing out very badly down the straight.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
The most obvious point for me from GB's video was the time taken to practice and identify braking markers in the track which in turn translate to both speed and importantly consistency.  Personally I usually have just enough time to set up my car the best I can to make it feel balanced and then go "I know this track" so I turn up and push as hard as I can.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
I don't really give myself breaking and turn in markers for every corners like GB did here. Some turns where there are distance boards I do especially after the long straight at Mugello, but for the majority of other corners I just use feel and guess where and when to break and turn. That makes me more inconsistent I guess so maybe should start doing this a bit more.

The main thing I noticed is that in quite a few places in the lap I'd still on on brakes and GB is already full throttle! Watching the vid a few times has definitely helped me, especially where'd I'd sometimes coast and GB is slightly on throttle, which seems to help with keeping grip.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
First of all, thanks for posting the video.

Funny eough, I was watching the video and noticed your braking points were all a few meters earlier than mine... So I was wondering what I was doing wrong, as---and with sincere modesty: I am proud to say so---all the rest seemed to be spot on (bar, of course, the fact that I fuck it up once per lap). Then I figured it out: you're doing the same lines and the same throttle, but with half the rear wing I need for that! I don't know how you keep it on track, as your top speed is like 10km/h higher than mine. No wonder you need to brake a few meters earlier. :(

I am not too sad of where I am, but my pb on optimal conditions of 1.48.9 is still very far...

One of the main tricks is to be able to find the setup compromise which gives the best total lap time or gives an advantage in a race. In these cars it seems lowering aero especially at the faster tracks will give the advantage and at Mugello passing on the main straight is really the best chance. Even if a higher aero setup can get a laptime not too far away you will be a sitting duck down the straight and the cornering or braking advantages are in sections where you most likely cant use this to pass others anyway. So if you end up mid pack you may just be stuck there and held up quite badly unable to pass and losing out very badly down the straight.

Yes, this is an important point. Unless you can time your pitstop to get clear track, but that's never guaranteed.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Well, I'm glad the video was at least worth while. :)

One thing you never get from watching a hotlap video are the little twitches and loss of traction, sliding, etc.  For instance the two really fast right handers at the bottom of the hill - in the video hotlap I was actually sliding slightly and the rear extremely light and on edge, hence the throttle modulation, however in the video you don't get a sense of that.  The same with a couple of corners where I turned in and the whole car slides and rotates so I need to touch the throttle a bit to stabilise.

Where you see some little throttle blips and very slight throttle application into/through a corner is usually just controlling a slide as opposed to finding pace.

But yes, for me personally if I was to consider what I thought were the most important things that apply to me, they would be:

*  Trail-braking into a corner
*  Getting to use the throttle to stabilise the rear of the car
*  Getting comfortable sliding the car slightly.
*  Finding the fastest line
*  Mechanising this by using as many reference points as possible

I think the most important thing to do is mechanise the driving process.  It's too easy to be imprecise and just think "I brake around about slightly over half way between the 100 and 150 boards".

Thanks for the advise about iRacing Simone, but I don't think I'm in the class of the Huttu's or Ben C's of the world :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:02:55 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
My GTC setup if anyone wants to try, 
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 10:02:05 PM »
its awesome work GB.  Thanks a lot, ,     Skip Barber forum in Iracing used to do similar each week, An alien and a normal person would post a lap and the alien would do a write up on each corner that you could read while watching/pausing
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 11:31:47 PM »
As we've done before too, its relatively easy to do telemetry comparisons between two people using AIM Race Studio. But the conclusion is always the same - Guybrush brakes later and gets on the throttle earlier.

Heres some telemetry we looked at earlier:

http://www.xgn.com.au/index.php?topic=428.msg5449#msg5449
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal