Poll: Season 9

Poll

Choose a series for season 9

GT3
6 (27.3%)
Formula Renault 3.5 (open wheeler)
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Poll: Season 9  (Read 22115 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Poll: Season 9
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:38:01 PM »
GT3 - 1 long race per round with 2 pitstops or thereabouts. Pick a car and use it all season. Perhaps some kind of mandatory tyre requirement like 'x laps on hards' if practical. Success ballast like season 8.

Formula Renault - 1 sprint, 1longer race with pitstop, calculated ballast by lap time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:31:29 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Season 9
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:07:23 PM »
Would it be worth allowing ABS and TC in the FR3.5?  It might make it more appealing for some.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
Would it be worth allowing ABS and TC in the FR3.5?  It might make it more appealing for some.

Waddaya think this is, a league of pussies?
We survived the old open wheelers. Let's give the trial race a go without the assists.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:31:06 PM »

Waddaya think this is, a league of pussies?

I'm just thinking that Marty will be back by then.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »
Personally, everything is so new that I am excited about both (though I'll probably be out of the country for the whole of December and early January, so I might miss the end of the season).

The Formula Renault is definitely more of a challenge for me, which is both a cool and a crap thing. The one-make sounds like a nice drivers' challenge, but the learning curve is really steep on these cars, and the car's setup is so complicated that I might have to give up on understanding what most of it is about (btw, Wally: how do you plan to deal with the 3 "versions" of the car and DRS?---Not even sure if it has DRS, as I do not see it in the ECU tab... I think you are hoping for 1.3 to have race-DRS working as Stefano mentioned. Am I right?).

The GT3 has the nice feature of the variance of the cars, which might create nice races. On the other hand, it is more similar to Season 8. So I might not learn as much as I am learning now.

All in all: I don't know what to vote for, but if any of you has good ideas and arguments, it might be easy to tilt my preference one way or the other.

ROLZ: any team preference?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 11:06:33 PM »
From our past experiences, fast open wheelers are definitely harder to drive, and harder to have close racing with, requiring faster reactions. But I'm all for promoting diversity, especially as different people may have different skills with different types of cars.

I guess the three downforce packages for the FR are essentially 3 different cars. To make my life easier as admin, and maybe even more strategically interesting, you could choose one of the downforce packages and stick with it for half the season,  with the ability to swap packages half way through.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:14:30 PM »
I vote fr3.5 as I may still miss a bit of the next season, Id want to do a full season 9f gt3 though.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 07:54:18 AM »
Just reading about the real FR series:

With a view to rewarding pure performance, each weekend follows a format that is both simple and fair. Race days begin with a qualifying session followed by a race lasting 44 minutes and one lap, with the second race of the weekend also featuring a pit stop during which at least two tyres must be changed.

And a blurb about the real world downforce packages:

Until now, FR3.5 teams have been free to set up their cars in whatever way they prefer – high downforce (for venues like Monaco or the Hungaroring), or low (for the likes of Monza). Most of the time, the need for both cornering and straightline speed has led to compromises of somewhere in between the two extremes.

That freedom of choice, however, is now about to end – at least partially. A change to the rules for 2015 means that teams will now all be forced to set up their cars to a low-downforce configuration for the first of the two races contested at each championship round. For Race 2, on the other hand, they are then free to adopt whatever downforce level they consider appropriate (like in previous years).

For ease of driving and reducing accidents, we could mandate the high downforce package. At the trial race, we'll try all 3 packages.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:01:33 AM by Wally »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »
...though I'll probably be out of the country for the whole of December and early January, so I might miss the end of the season).

...btw, Wally: how do you plan to deal with the 3 "versions" of the car and DRS?---Not even sure if it has DRS, as I do not see it in the ECU tab... I think you are hoping for 1.3 to have race-DRS working as Stefano mentioned. Am I right?)...
The season will be finished before December, most likely.

AC already has DRS for cars that support it. You have to bind a specific DRS key to activate and cancel DRS.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
...though I'll probably be out of the country for the whole of December and early January, so I might miss the end of the season).

...btw, Wally: how do you plan to deal with the 3 "versions" of the car and DRS?---Not even sure if it has DRS, as I do not see it in the ECU tab... I think you are hoping for 1.3 to have race-DRS working as Stefano mentioned. Am I right?)...
The season will be finished before December, most likely.

AC already has DRS for cars that support it. You have to bind a specific DRS key to activate and cancel DRS.
Yes, I have it mapped. Just did not figure out whether it was working on the FR3.5. Will try again.

As for how to use it, I was referring to Stefano's recent work on implementing DRS zones (as opposed to activate DRS on every straight).

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »
I removed my vote and voted for an open wheeler season,sorry it was a mistake!

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »
For ease of driving and reducing accidents, we could mandate the high downforce package. At the trial race, we'll try all 3 packages.
Sounds like a plan. ;D

2+2=√16

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »
Are we to vote now or are we doing a race in each first? I've never driven either type of car in AC so I have no idea.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »
Wally I'm pretty sure they withdraw the rule due to safety which required a low downforce setup for one race.  I could be wrong though.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 06:14:52 PM »
I have been keen to do a gt3 season for a while but those formula renos are really fun and these lotus's are pretty much gt cars so might be worthwhile breaking up the seasons with the open wheelers in the middle plus hopefully the followig season the gt3 lambo will be out so more cars :)
do you even motorsports?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal