Xtreme Gaming Network

PLP: penalties for speeding in pit lane

Author Topic: PLP: penalties for speeding in pit lane  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
PLP: penalties for speeding in pit lane
« on: September 18, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
Dudes. After a throway line by Grat on Tuesday night, I've worked in drive through penalties for speeding in pit lane, which you can do when you scream into the pits flat chat. I'm still testing it.

A speeding infringement would be an automatic drive through penalty. The only thing that's tricky is that there's often no clear pit entry line. You have to ”learn” where the pit limiter engages, but it makes pitstops more exciting, when you try to maximise the speed of your pit entry without overdoing it, just like in real life.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: PLP: penalties for speeding in pit lane
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
I think a time penalty would be more appropriate given the inconsistency of where the pit line is and that you don't really gain that much time.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
I think a time penalty would be more appropriate given the inconsistency of where the pit line is and that you don't really gain that much time.
Yeah, maybe. After I gave it a go a few times, you quickly learn where the line is... or you approach the line a little more conservatively. You can gain a bit of time, because you can really blaze into the pits at great speed (at least, if the pit limiter doesn't make you crash).
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 09:08:31 AM »
As I usually do not have anything showing my speed on the screen (unless it is visible on the car's dashboard, of course) I am a bit wary of this. But in general I think it sounds like a pretty cool addition.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
Anything that makes the experience closer to real life is a good thing. Or in other words, putting more ”racing” into ”your racing simulator”, not just driving.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
Anything that brings more realism is welcomed by most I believe.
The problem is AC is not realistic in that pit lanes are not always clearly defined by lines and signs.
Having a rigorously defined speed limit but no rigorously defined pit lane is unrealistic.

Just some points to take into consideration. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
Anything that brings more realism is welcomed by most I believe.
The problem is AC is not realistic in that pit lanes are not always clearly defined by lines and signs.
Having a rigorously defined speed limit but no rigorously defined pit lane is unrealistic.

Just some points to take into consideration. ;)
Indeed.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »
Has AC now got a manual pit limiter or am I missing something? Doesnt the car brake automaticaly as you enter the pit lane.

Having full manual pit lane with a forced drive through would be cool. But we need properly signed pit entry and exit and also a manual pit limiter I think. If pit limiter is manual controlled then also kunos should enforce penalties themselves and it shouldnt really need a 3rd party app.

It would be rather pointless in general mp if only people running a 3rd party app were penalized for speeding in pitlane.  ;)

Last round at Spa the pit entry is so slow anyway I cant imagine anyone having gained anything especially if trying to make sure they dont hit a wall on entry.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
I wonder if you could make PLP only apply a penalty a certain distance after the AC pit limiter comes on?  That way if you are there abouts as far as speed is concerned you will be OK as the pit limiter is effectively activated automatically, where as if you go flying in at 200 km/h the pit limiter won't slow you down enough?

I, however, can't wait to bump someone over the pit line so they are speeding and get a penalty, lol.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
Has AC now got a manual pit limiter or am I missing something? Doesnt the car brake automaticaly as you enter the pit lane.

Having full manual pit lane with a forced drive through would be cool. But we need properly signed pit entry and exit and also a manual pit limiter I think. If pit limiter is manual controlled then also kunos should enforce penalties themselves and it shouldnt really need a 3rd party app.

It would be rather pointless in general mp if only people running a 3rd party app were penalized for speeding in pitlane.  ;)

Last round at Spa the pit entry is so slow anyway I cant imagine anyone having gained anything especially if trying to make sure they dont hit a wall on entry.

It's still automatic, but on some tracks, you can come screaming into the pits and be doing well over 80 a fair way into pit lane, as the pit limiter is only slowing you, not slamming you straight down to 80.

I think the lack of a clear line where the pit speed limit starts is a bit of a killer. If there were clear start lines, then PLP could enforce the speed limits. If this is how the tracks are in real life - I.e with no lines or signs - then it still could he a reasonable and realistic thing to enforce, as the real life racers have to do it somehow. It does make pitstops more exciting, as I said, because there's more skill involved in getting the fastest possible pit entry.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
I wonder if you could make PLP only apply a penalty a certain distance after the AC pit limiter comes on?  That way if you are there abouts as far as speed is concerned you will be OK as the pit limiter is effectively activated automatically, where as if you go flying in at 200 km/h the pit limiter won't slow you down enough?

I, however, can't wait to bump someone over the pit line so they are speeding and get a penalty, lol.
I can arbitrarily define whatever speed I check for in the app - effectively ”blurring” the line, I.e. you don't have to be so precise. I could penalise only 90 or 100+ for example.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal