Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 2: Silverstone International Chat

Author Topic: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat  (Read 76013 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
Let go back to the 1st chicane at Imola. Just cause it's still fresk in my brain.. How for out would you say you stop acceleration? Do you coast before applying breaks?

No no no, never coast!   It's either braking or accelerating, anything in between is lost time.  I've started braking (for T1) just before the left-kink.  Applied throttle slightly after the car has started turning in (small throttle) and increased it to full by the 2nd part (right-hander) apex. Or if/when I took too much curb, then afterwards - but that's time lost right there.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
Let go back to the 1st chicane at Imola. Just cause it's still fresk in my brain.. How for out would you say you stop acceleration? Do you coast before applying breaks?

No no no, never coast!   It's either braking or accelerating, anything in between is lost time.  I've started braking (for T1) just before the left-kink.  Applied throttle slightly after the car has started turning in (small throttle) and increased it to full by the 2nd part (right-hander) apex. Or if/when I took too much curb, then afterwards - but that's time lost right there.

Right go it. no coasting! I think I'm jumping on the breaks too hard.

And is engine breaking changing down and using compression to break?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
Yes it's what we sometimes call engine braking.

Get used to do it in a manner that you don't over-rev the engine, as soon as damage is added you'll notice engines blown up here and there (especially by Dion :) )  Due to early downshifts.   Plus the rear lockup can be a bitch, hehe. It's effectively a handbrake.

Edit:
with braking (normal braking) you want to apply the force somewhat gradually, but it's very hard and the 'speed' of application depends on the car, too, so sometimes on racey cars it's fine to jump on it. :)   But if you overdo your braking you'll lock the fronts and lose a lot of braking power - altho this, I believe, is not new information :)

The rule here basically:
You may hear the tyres somewhat, but you don't want to see smoke.  If that happens, you're skidding.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:32:36 PM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
Yes it's what we sometimes call engine braking.

Get used to do it in a manner that you don't over-rev the engine, as soon as damage is added you'll notice engines blown up here and there (especially by Dion :) )  Due to early downshifts.   Plus the rear lockup can be a bitch, hehe. It's effectively a handbrake.

I can remember being 18-19 and compression lock-ups was part and parcel of being a 18 year old in a car!

I'm sure the engine damage model is working. I blew up a few Pagani's when I had it switched on a few weeks ago. Nothing visual happened except for warning lights.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »
Yes you can, Wally has described it in the other thread; you just need to modify the name in one file to your own...some json file. 

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:40:36 PM by DarrenM »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »
Hey I'm not too far off your lap here! (for now...) 
I've managed to run a 1:11.9 today, just a tiny bit off my pb, and only .7 off yours :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »
OK then, ghost lap :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63816631/AC/ghost/GHOST_CAR_Darren%20Marsh%20Rift_bmw_m3_e30_gra.7z

Setup
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63816631/AC/setups/djm%20GrpA%20SilvInt%20Q.ini
Thanks Darren. Other people can copy this file into their ghosts folder (can't remember exactly where it is now), and rename it to replace "Darren Marsh" with their name.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline BJSRacer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »
Thanks Darren, as if chasing my own ghost for hours on end wasn't frustrating enough, I now can chase yours..... with no hope of catching :D

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
Thanks Darren, as if chasing my own ghost for hours on end wasn't frustrating enough, I now can chase yours..... with no hope of catching :D

I concur  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
It helped me take 0.5 seconds off.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
you into the 11's now ???

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
you into the 11's now ???
Ummm..... yeah  8) .

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 02:28:05 PM »
Cough yer, uh hum..... I'm doing 10's  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal