Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 5: Thursday 3rd November - Silverstone 1967

Author Topic: Round 5: Thursday 3rd November - Silverstone 1967  (Read 43996 times)

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
Re: Round 5: Thursday 3rd November - Silverstone 1967
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Phill, I didn't know it was a league.

If the faster drivers need to do a compulsory pit stop, wouldn't the next slowest driver eventually be winning as much?
As discussed on TS Thursday night, a Ballast system would probably be better (despite the initial setup before the race).

Otherwise, to find a 2nd car that is harder to control or almost 1 second off average pace would be the go. Make a cut-off average time around the given circuit and anyone faster than that time must use the 2nd car. How to monitor it? You could rely on honesty and previous race placings, maybe even the top 8 of last race? Up to you guys but there's my suggestions.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2016, 10:47:37 PM »
I'm all for no blue flags.

Ballast is probably the simplest way to close the field up. You could just go with success ballast, e.g. 80kg for whoever's leading the season, 60 for second etc. with some appropriate ballast weights.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 10:48:41 PM »
We've done all sorts of stuff on Thursday's including ballast. As Phil said we like to experiment and this is his latest  ;D

The two stops at Silverstone was clearly a bit too much. I think at Brands Hatch Bacculum won even with a stop. It's also the top 5 in the points, not the top 5 qualifiers, so it changes up most of the time.

Offline humper

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »

A separate question. How much talking are allowed during the race? I know in the Tuesday league speaking during the race is a hanging offense but not sure if its frown upon in the Thursday runs.

TS does destroy the immersion of a simulator. Obviously very useful to get everyone on the same page but less chatter would be better IMO. Sometimes I just ditch the headphones.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2016, 09:08:34 AM »
This is a suggestion only, because it was used previously doesn't mean it should be adopted,  okay?
Sprint/race one times dictate sprint/race 2 time handicap.
Quick bit of arithmetic, ie last in race one by 35 seconds = scratch makers time... 2nd's 30 second gap to winner =...  Until the last from race 1 goes on the flag drop.  Good chance the field will be grouped on the last lap.
Sorry for the overall description. 
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Phill, I didn't know it was a league.

If the faster drivers need to do a compulsory pit stop, wouldn't the next slowest driver eventually be winning as much?
As discussed on TS Thursday night, a Ballast system would probably be better (despite the initial setup before the race).

Otherwise, to find a 2nd car that is harder to control or almost 1 second off average pace would be the go. Make a cut-off average time around the given circuit and anyone faster than that time must use the 2nd car. How to monitor it? You could rely on honesty and previous race placings, maybe even the top 8 of last race? Up to you guys but there's my suggestions.
Good suggestions Unf. As to the winners, yes the winners will rotate.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
Watched a lot of the replay last night, what a blast! That GW giving me a hard time, great driving by Phil getting back up to 6th near the end. Must watch again hhehe

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
This is a suggestion only, because it was used previously doesn't mean it should be adopted,  okay?
Quick bit of arithmetic, ie last in race one by 35 seconds = scratch makers time... 2nd's 30 second gap to winner =...  Until the last from race 1 goes on the flag drop.  Good chance the field will be grouped on the last lap.
Phil, what I could do with the PLP app is put a big timer in it that counts up from race start. Then you could tell people how many seconds they have to wait before they go. Near enough would be good enough i.e. if someone goes at 20 seconds +/- a couple of seconds on a quick eyeball of the timer, then that would be good enough.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »

A separate question. How much talking are allowed during the race? I know in the Tuesday league speaking during the race is a hanging offense but not sure if its frown upon in the Thursday runs.

TS does destroy the immersion of a simulator. Obviously very useful to get everyone on the same page but less chatter would be better IMO. Sometimes I just ditch the headphones.
Chatters all great and fun at the right time, but it does cause problems too, like if someone starts talking too loudly, it can drown out your engine sound at crucial times like changing gears, or it can interfere with your concentration if you're in the middle of a bumper-to-bumper or side by side battle. I think the balance we have right now is pretty good in general.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
I don't mind a bit of chatter at all personally, what bugs me though is listening to people breathing, changing gears, etc. I'd love to see "Push-to-talk" be an enforced thing. This is not a go at anybody directly, so please don't take it that way. I'm just someone who gets annoyed by things like that in general very easily. :)

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »
Phil, what I could do with the PLP app is put a big timer in it that counts up from race start. Then you could tell people how many seconds they have to wait before they go. Near enough would be good enough i.e. if someone goes at 20 seconds +/- a couple of seconds on a quick eyeball of the timer, then that would be good enough.

I would like to try that thanks Wally if its possible and others are keen to give it a go
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »
That would be cool. I remember when we did it before and worked pretty well.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »
I think handicapping whatever the method is dubious at best. In professional races it is for the spectators (ala salary caps).

In online racing it is because the fast guys get bored. But I don't care about fast guys getting bored :) They can always just drive slower!

I would just give the back end of the field a boost either via a better car or a ballast or engine limit. But not just add ballast to the fast guys. Add ballast to the whole field and then reduce ballast for anyone lapping slower than say 105% of the fastest times.

Reverse grids are horrible. Hate getting pushed and shoved off the track by faster guys. I've done it myself on Thursdays - even when trying to carefully overtake I cause inadvertent havoc for the car I'm overtaking. So reverse grid is great for fast guys but not so great for slower guys.

I like Phil's approach which really just relegated the top 5 drivers to the back for a race or two giving others a chance to compete for the podium. Good fun. Also, means the fast guys "throttle back" a bit to avoid always getting thrown to the back of he field!

Finally, to end my little spiel. Racing against drivers of similar pace is what is most fun (NOT handicapped!). On Thursdays I really enjoy racing against guys who are normally faster but who haven't had time to practise so I can match them for a few laps. That's a buzz.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »
I don't mind a bit of chatter at all personally, what bugs me though is listening to people breathing, changing gears, etc. I'd love to see "Push-to-talk" be an enforced thing. This is not a go at anybody directly, so please don't take it that way. I'm just someone who gets annoyed by things like that in general very easily. :)
+1
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
+1

+10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal