Xtreme Gaming Network

S23R7: Putnam Park Race Chat

Author Topic: S23R7: Putnam Park Race Chat  (Read 14844 times)

Offline keithsgillan

• View Profile
Re: S23R7: Putnam Park Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 09:24:31 AM »
I'm glad to hear that Bueller came to like the car. That's a common story, where people aren't that keen on a car to start with, but it grows on them. Keep that in mind for future seasons ;)

My first race was a shocker because I tried a setup experiment, where I made the rear cambers as unoptimal as the front cambers to blanace the car, using the Camber Extravaganza app. I knew you could never get the front cambers to their sweet spot, so I tried to make the rear cambers equally bad to balance front and rear grip from camber. Well, that didn't work. The car was really unstable while cornering and badly prone to snap oversteer, so race 1was just hard work.

I reverted to my Queensland setup for the next races and that was much better. I still spent most of my time towards the rear of the field, but had some really good racing with Bueller pressuring me, and also me chasing AbleArcher who was also under pressure from ab156 but didn't crack. Made it hard work but a lot of good racing.

For Killagorilla, have you watched the replays? I haven't myself, and you may be right or you may be wrong, but my point is to make sure you have at least watched the replays before you make judgements.

Re watching replays... It is also good to watch from the other persons point of view. There has been times when I was certain I was in the right, and the other person equally so. When changing the view to other vehicle, trying to let go of any bias, you may see their version of events also have merit. I remember a race at Redbull Ring in the Ferrari 599, and after watching from both views I was happy to call it a racing incident. Although prior to that I was sure I was the victim.

Maybe it's an optical illusion... maybe it's Spacetime... what ever it is, in the interest of painting the full picture it's worth checking out the view from the other party's car.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Keith is right. I have watched literally hundreds of opening lap contacts. Forwards, backwards, slow motion, car A, car B... it can take quite a bit to see who was in the wrong, if anyone.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »
I'm not sure everyone is using helicorsa/car radar because some of the incidents that I've seen unfold in front of me seem almost like one party does not realise there is someone so close, I know these apps aren't perfect and could also be partially to blame. On the flip side it can be just (innocent or not) mistakes, I know I I've had plenty of those, reality is we're not pros (no offence). Remaining calm is difficult sometimes but is necessary to at least enjoy the racing. I'll never be in championship contention because I can only race every second round (and I'm not fast enough) but I'm here for the racing and it's actually a lot of fun being mid pack. I often watched races on TV thinking how crap it me be for the guys always mid field or at back but seriously it's about racing because we enjoy the thrill of it, winning isn't everything despite what they say lol.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »
I'm glad to hear that Bueller came to like the car. That's a common story, where people aren't that keen on a car to start with, but it grows on them. Keep that in mind for future seasons ;)

My first race was a shocker because I tried a setup experiment, where I made the rear cambers as unoptimal as the front cambers to blanace the car, using the Camber Extravaganza app. I knew you could never get the front cambers to their sweet spot, so I tried to make the rear cambers equally bad to balance front and rear grip from camber. Well, that didn't work. The car was really unstable while cornering and badly prone to snap oversteer, so race 1was just hard work.

I reverted to my Queensland setup for the next races and that was much better. I still spent most of my time towards the rear of the field, but had some really good racing with Bueller pressuring me, and also me chasing AbleArcher who was also under pressure from ab156 but didn't crack. Made it hard work but a lot of good racing.

For Killagorilla, have you watched the replays? I haven't myself, and you may be right or you may be wrong, but my point is to make sure you have at least watched the replays before you make judgements.

Yes, I watched the replay from all perspectives. Jeremy redressed/gave me time to get my car straight again. Russ went just into my side turning me around. Russ, you can have that, I'll go harder next time. During the race I actually thought he went into me a couple of turns before, but that was Jeremy. That was the reason for my comments over the radio...I really do try hard to avoid that. I normally don't say anything in cases when someone runs into me, but I get pissed off if it happens multiple times. I understand they were battling for position behind me and that makes it more difficult...anyway, try to forget this thing
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:24:15 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
I'm not sure everyone is using helicorsa/car radar

and race engineer give a voice spotter so its impossible not to know someone is next to you
http://xgn.com.au/index.php?topic=1600.0
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
I'm not sure everyone is using helicorsa/car radar because some of the incidents that I've seen unfold in front of me seem almost like one party does not realise there is someone so close, I know these apps aren't perfect and could also be partially to blame. On the flip side it can be just (innocent or not) mistakes, I know I I've had plenty of those, reality is we're not pros (no offence). Remaining calm is difficult sometimes but is necessary to at least enjoy the racing. I'll never be in championship contention because I can only race every second round (and I'm not fast enough) but I'm here for the racing and it's actually a lot of fun being mid pack. I often watched races on TV thinking how crap it me be for the guys always mid field or at back but seriously it's about racing because we enjoy the thrill of it, winning isn't everything despite what they say lol.
Yeah I think the same thing when they say on the TV while watching a battle "And this is for 16th place!" Your sole focus is usually just to pass the car in front, no matter where you are in the field.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »
Race 1
Bacchulum ran into the back of Mael, but only because Mael braked suddenly, taking Bacchulum by surprise – racing incident, that unfortunately had some knock on effects.

That was not my intention, I saw trouble brewing between the cars in front of me so slowed down. With hind sight it seems I slowed down too much or too drastically especially if it was Bacchulum who rear-ended me  :'(  I did pay dearly for the mistake as the accident created rear wing damage only making the setup balance almost undrivable.

For a change I managed to avoid the race 2 and 3 opening lap carnage, strange that one of the easiest cars to drive is causing some much first lap heartache. Both race were spend chasing bacchulum for the majority of the time, mixed with some desperate defending against Jeremy.

Really enjoyed the battle Jeremy, had me in full concentration mode for most of the race. And I almost gifted you the place by running out of fuel with 5 meters to go ;D

And yeah a solid 2nd place for Team Maki, mostly thanks to Freezer speed this season. Well done to Struggle (????) Street Racing.

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 09:09:07 PM »

Yes, I watched the replay from all perspectives. Jeremy redressed/gave me time to get my car straight again. Russ went just into my side turning me around. Russ, you can have that, I'll go harder next time. During the race I actually thought he went into me a couple of turns before, but that was Jeremy. That was the reason for my comments over the radio...I really do try hard to avoid that. I normally don't say anything in cases when someone runs into me, but I get pissed off if it happens multiple times. I understand they were battling for position behind me and that makes it more difficult...anyway, try to forget this thing

killa, I'm not sure what replay you watched but I have watched the replay from all angles and my take is not the same.

Sequence of events (as I see it) ...
  • I made a clean pass on Jeremy at turn 1.
  • I caught killa which then let Jeremy close in on both of us.
  • Jeremy dive bombs at the tight right going past me and smashing into the back of killa.
  • You say Jeremy redressed but he just couldn't get going any quicker. My experience is that Jeremy never redresses.
  • We went for a drag down to the next left hander.
  • You moved to the inside so I took the outside.
  • At the turn I avoided a crash by leaving my turn in late when you braked too late and shot across in front of me.
  • I cut back to the inside and we started the drag out of that turn.
  • I held my line and you moved left and bumped into me.
  • My car got unsettled by the bump.
  • My car went a bit to the right while I was fighting to regain control.
  • It would still have been OK but you once again moved left and we touched again and went off.
So ... I didn't see the need for me to redress something that wasn't my fault.

Happy to discuss.
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »
As an impartial observer, this is my take on it.
Jeremy, too aggressive in the start of the sequence. trying to punch a hole where there was none. There was nowhere for him to go other than into the back of killa.
But then between Russ and Killa, it looked like you were trying to give each other racing room, with Russ having a go at a criss cross manoeuvre that saw the two of you swapping sides of the track mid corner. Russ was trying to keep it tucked on the inside, but there was a side-to-side impact (always hard to avoid, especially mid corner) that unsettled Russ a bit and caused his nose to hit killa's rear. That second part of the passing in the corner just looked like hard racing to me, that unfortunately ended in tears. I couldn't assign blame to either in that move, but if I was forced to, I would say that killa was moving around more, taking room away from Russ. But overall, it looked like a hard-fought passing/defending move from both.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 07:35:15 AM »
Well, it doesn't help watching this thing again. I was pissed off because, during the race I thought it was you, Russ, running into me at that sharp right hander before...and then just going off. The second incident was more difficult to judge. I trust Wally's judgement on this enough...so, yeah, what can I say...
In the end being run into twice there within a few laps spoiled it enough for me to hit the exit button.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:21:13 AM by killagorilla »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
Well, it doesn't help watching this thing again. I was pissed off because, during the race, I thought it was you, Russ, running into me at that sharp left hander before...and then just going off. The second incident was more difficult to judge. I trust Wally's judgement on this enough...so, yeah, what can I say...
In the end being run into twice there within a few laps spoiled it enough for me to hit the exit button.
For sure, previous hits a second before totally cloud how you perceive the next impact in the heat of battle. Everyone's the same.

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »
Well, it doesn't help watching this thing again. I was pissed off because, during the race I thought it was you, Russ, running into me at that sharp right hander before...and then just going off. The second incident was more difficult to judge. I trust Wally's judgement on this enough...so, yeah, what can I say...
Hi killa,
Yeah, we both got taken out at the sharp right hander.
I would probably call the one where we went off a racing incident. I just didn't like being handed the blame.

Let's all just try our best to avoid incidents in the first place and have some good racing   :)
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »
Hi killa,
Yeah, we both got taken out at the sharp right hander.
I would probably call the one where we went off a racing incident. I just didn't like being handed the blame.

Yeah, you're right...sorry. It was the bloody whole package which got me to react the way I did.

Let's all just try our best to avoid incidents in the first place and have some good racing   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal