Xtreme Gaming Network

S27R3: Modena (Fast) Race Chat

Author Topic: S27R3: Modena (Fast) Race Chat  (Read 35248 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S27R3: Modena (Fast) Race Chat
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »
Looks like a racing incident to me. Was a pretty crazy start with all the cars at different speeds. I had my eye on helicorsa as I was getting swamped and that's why I didn't go for the apex and left a cars width on the inside also knowing there was room on the outside. Looking at the overhead I could have taken the apex but not being 100% sure I left room.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
Must be really hard racing with just one screen.
However, I think it's important to have a set of basic rules (like Wally) and apply them when judging an incident. Otherwise chances are good you get lost in details and it can be too hard to weigh up different aspects.
I guess I deserved my penalties so far ;)
Russ running into me at the first turn in race 2 is maybe not a bad example. I was surprised by how slow the Abarth right in front of me went into the right-hand turn and got really close and probably touched him slightly. Because of that I slowed down even more and you can maybe say that this caught then Russ by surprise...and he messed up my hopes for a good finish...again.
So, how can we expect Wally to judge something like that? How often is he supposed to watch a replay to finally come to a decision? In my opinion it's the best to just say, if you run into someone on lap one and you shoot him off you get a penalty. Everyone knows it and that's the only thing you can do to get people not to try too hard to win the race on lap one.
This incident between Bird and AB is a bit difficult to judge considering Bird's limited FOV. Looks a bit like he could have left AB a bit of space there, but if he was on the limit there's not much you can do. I guess it shouldn't have happened with triples...but that doesn't help, I know.

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
And please, I'd like to hear other opinions too. As I said earlier, it's about community standards. I'd like to hear what the community thinks. It's not about taking sides, or blaming the driver, it's about the situation. Should it be a penalty?

AB should have been awarded a free lap and won the race, started on pole for race 2 which he would have dominated with same result for race 3.  It's pretty simple.

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »
I'll be serious for as long I can bother, we are debating a virtual race from several days ago  :P

Clearly I am not independent and have a biased view, I am not complaining, just laying out my view.

Firstly, I admit to be influenced by the first race at Paul Ricard where the exact same thing happened to me.  T1, on the outside line as I try to claim a car width of tarmac I got a tap in the right rear ruining my (and many others) race. Don't bother with replays, trust me.

For this race, I dispute I was coming back onto track, the opposite in fact.  I was always on track and only just went 4 wheels out of the white line (still on track) when I saw Bird understeering - by then it was too late.  Another 1/4 car length and have been clear and had the apex for T2. I think we were all unprepared for the starting difference of the cars, as soon as I realised this and to avoid any issues I took the widest line available, I also knew there would be a big braking difference so ensured a clean lane ahead.  So I don't think I hold any blame.

From Birds perspective there was a lot going on and I have no doubt he never expected me to be where I was. The microraces view (love it) shows me coming back at him from probably 10 car lengths back, plus he was a bit busy with the 3 cars inside of him so there is clearly no malice but I was in front and did get contact so it comes down to the application of the rules.  Please, I don't want a penalty applied but that is my view.  Regardless of how "busy" it is we are expected to have control of our car and be aware of others, that is why we run the radar and spotter.

I'll be taking the "cross three lanes and arrow into T1" approach next race.  I might get lucky but at least I won't be the one taken out.  Joking... maybe.

Ironically, that is not the one I was frustrated at. The penalty I got in race 3 is what annoyed me (sorry for outburst, money has been put in the swear jar).  After getting beaten up all race 1 and 2 the "rules of the road" seem to have shifted.  Unfortunately it was Bird and I again. Bird used the Nismo power down the back straight to pass me, I braked deeper and held the inside line for the next corner with a small overlap from my cockpit (I agree it looks worse from exterior view).  As I braked and turned into the apex with wheels on the curb the door was shut and I made rear contact.  His rear hit me sir! I get the penalty which is technically correct based on criteria.  Now, I know Bird didn't do it on purpose (stated on Discord) and it ruined his race also but I felt I was already "there" and if R1 contact is a racing incident then this was also.  Again, I am not looking for the penalty to be lifted, it makes no difference as I will be away for a few races.

Finally, I have no issue with Bird - we just seemed to be in the middle of it this race which at the end of the day is why I show up - for competition.  Sometimes you are the bug, sometime the windscreen.  Call me Buggy McBug.

How is that for not dwelling on it  ::)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:50:53 PM by ab156 »

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
I've been in Bird's and AB's position and had penalty and no penalty, and I argued vehemently.
But looking at this with no objective persuasion, I say racing incident (there was no rear end contact). :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 07:22:33 PM »
I have not looked at the replay because I never do, and there is no point with so many variables with real people from all over the country racing together anything can and does happen. We all make mistakes and I am sure none of us mean to cause grief to others,  it just happens sometimes.
 I also better grab a couple of these penalties before there is none left for running into Wally and Russg, 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:26:44 PM by Phil.8 »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
I like your stance, AB, and I think we should put it to bed.

I am sorry for both incidents, we both got something bad out of it - you somewhat worse, admittedly - and I really hope lady luck will grant us a quarter car-length next time.

If you are around the central coast, jump in for a beer anyday.  Then we'll sit down and laugh at us crazy buggers arguing over online racing to the hilt; how does that sound? ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal