Xtreme Gaming Network

Jul 26 Fun Run - Japanese cars at Gentrack1

Author Topic: Jul 26 Fun Run - Japanese cars at Gentrack1  (Read 16247 times)

Rolz

Re: Jul 26 Fun Run - Japanese cars at Gentrack1
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
display in game crashed twice so I thought I'd investigate...

Eventlogs had "Application acs.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

looks like it... now to figure out why...

Thanks for the racing! :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 10:05:11 PM »
Just realised my mic was off for ages...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »
I'll put up the results tonight. I got busy with torque curves again last night.

Sorry about the race 1 accident. I crossed a kerb a bit, which set the Supra bouncing enough to provoke a tankslapper which I couldn't catch. I bounced off the wall and spun back onto the track mid-morning into the oncoming traffic. Later in the race I was having a good race with Joe, but drilled him on one corner after coming in too hot and not allowing for him slowing because of the car in front of him. Sorry Joe.

I found the Supra good, but quite touchy over the kerbs, getting quite bouncy. It needs better damping.

In race 2 I took out the Skyline. That was very stable, but I don't really like the non-linear turn in,  where you get not much turn in then suddenly lots.

Race 3 was the 370. That wasn't bad, but I don't think the brakes coped with the ballast too well. I found I had to allow more braking distance than I was giving it.

I was a bit surprised by how spread out the field got. I thought cars would remain closer, although I did have close racing with Hornbag, Joe and Mael. The reverse grid format will make it close.

Someone said this will be "another GT86 season". Last night showed it will be quite different. These cars are much looser, and it's much easier to make mistakes, which should shake the results up a bit.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
It would be good to revisit the policy re damage. After the crash on lap 1 my steering was broken so night over for me.

Rolz

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 09:12:11 AM »
would also be nice to put in 1 or 2 long races in (~45min)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
Race 1 went fairly well for me.  Marty got ahead at the start which was expected given the Skyline's 4WD, but then managed to sneak past on the straight into T1 the following lap.  From then we just circled until Bruce spun in front on about lap 5 - I managed to avoid by Marty wasn't so lucky.

Race 2 I go taken out at T3 and then T-boned when I'd stopped.  My front and rear was red as well as a cracked windscreen so thought I'd see if I could repair the damage but that took about 3 or 4 minutes.

I've mentioned this before, but having damage take so long to repair is probably realistic but it means it's not really an option in anything less than a full length, 50 lap race.  Anyway, it is what it is, but just a warning to others if they are considering a quick fix up mid-race.

Race 3 I was making my way through the field when there was a collision at the chicane.  I slowed enough to avoid everyone but then got rear ended by someone else coming through which was pretty much unavoidable.  This broke my rear wing which meant I had no top speed and handling was pretty bad so I thought I'd call it a night.

I think all of the cars behave badly if you run off the curbs as the way they are shaped are like a peak at the outside of the curb which then slopes down to the inside.  So when you go off track and run back onto the curb you are basically hitting a small wall which unsettles the car.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
Yeah, I got caught up in the carnage in race 1 but figured it was better to putt around 3s slower than repair. Thanks to mistakes by others I managed to crawl back to 8th after being a distant last. ;) Race 2, I made stupid mistakes and spun once before plowing into a spinning Bruce and then limped home near last. Race 3 just made too many mistakes spinning again at the same place as race 2.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 10:49:05 AM »
Good nights racing.  I managed to avoid the various spins in each race to end up with decent results.
I ran the Supra as I like the overall feel of the car.  As long as I kept it smooth through the corners the straight line speed did the rest.
I did attempt the Skyline at R2 qual but jumped back as like Wally said I don't like the way it turns it feels dull in the steering!
Should be an interesting season.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 10:58:14 AM »
Later in the race I was having a good race with Joe, but drilled him on one corner after coming in too hot and not allowing for him slowing because of the car in front of him. Sorry Joe.

No worries, I think I was about to rear end hornbag who slowed a lot more than I anticipated and your tap saved him  ;D

Not driven these cars before so tried the Supra, RX-7 and Skyline. Think I preferred the RX-7 over the Supra despite cracking the windscreen and destroying the front bumper all on my own lap 1.

Despite the field being spread out had some good close racing without different people so the season should be fun.

As always with Gentrack the worst corner for me is the tight right hander at the bottom of the hill. Everyone else on the track always seem to carry more speed and get a better exit.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »
It would be good to revisit the policy re damage. After the crash on lap 1 my steering was broken so night over for me.
Yes, I think I might reduce the damage percentage again. On the one hand, damage is a good incentive to be careful, but if it ruins a sprint race, it's no fun.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2016, 12:52:51 PM »
I was a bit surprised by how spread out the field got. I thought cars would remain closer, although I did have close racing with Hornbag, Joe and Mael. The reverse grid format will make it close.

I think that's more to do with the track. All the races I've done at Gentrack ended up with a spread-out field and massive accidents. Suspect it is because a lot of the high speed corners have a very fine line between a fast or disastrous line. It also appears if you do spin off you invariably end up in the middle of the track in someones way  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 01:10:55 PM »
I also think the track as I predicted wpuld cause lots more carnage then general tracks. I had the pub server full with 24 cars at a few tracks and racing was fairly close and damage not really an issue.

Here race 1 I came across Bruce at my exit point on a fast corner, there was no way I could go inside at that pace and outside was definate hard wall. I tried to make it inside him hoping he may have still been moving toward the outside but his car was stopped and so I nailed it rather hard. Bent my wheel so much it wouldnt even move.  :)

Race 2 from the back I got a little squeezed for room had to move left to avoid a car then ended up spinning off the edge of the curb. This sent me across the track where I tagged Guybrush sent him spinning and then he got hit by another as he stopped mid track. Was pretty much the end of his race and my car was fairly bad especially with red gearbox. Maybe I missed a shift mid spin and killed it there, I tried to nurse it to the line along with bad front end damage but I got a bix of neutrals with a couple to go.

Race 3 lap 1 avoiding a spinner mid track I had to brake but got rear ended fairly bad. Car wasnt terrible and still managed to get to second but forgot the 2nd left of the triple apex lefts was a brake and downshift. I went in flat nailed the wall and drove it back all bent up the last lap and a bit.

The closeness of racing seeing the track was very tricky in these also grid wasnt full reverse so some quicker guys started ahead. Quite a bit of carnage with lots of daged cars and a track not real easy to pass in. Its a great track to drive but getting large fields with close racing there wpuld be quite a miracle.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2016, 07:33:48 PM »
Here are the belated RACE RESULTS.

Winners were Guybrush in an RX-7, Bacchulum in a Skyline, and Phil also in a Skyline.

My fastest car personally here was the Skyline.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
Looks like I saw fastest in the Skyline too. I was marginally faster in the Supra than the RX-7, but I felt faster in the RX-7.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal