Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 1: Imola Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 1: Imola Race Chat  (Read 44525 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Season 1 Race 1 chat
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
Ok guys, being a newb I have a newb question about damage.
  I know it's not implemented yet and I'm looking forward to it. I really hope there is a awesome damage model with heaps of soft damage. Just adds to the realism.

I want to know if the damage model will be 'real'? Like you tap a wall even slightly your race is over. Just like the real thing.
Like a lot of the 1st corner crashes would really take half the field out.
I expect the damage model to show no mercy.

How does it work in other SIMs?

You can usually specify a damage percentage, so 0% is all damage off, 100% damage is race wrecking, 50% reduces the effects of damage etc. I have no idea how AC will do it though. I'm looking forward to damage too, especially mechanical damage if you abuse the gearbox or engine, for example, to force you to drive more realistically. The downside of damage though is that you can get punted into a wall by someone else and lose a wheel, for example, race over, just like the real thing. But who wants to import the painful parts of real life into a game? It adds to realism, sure, but you have to balance it with the fun factor.

Good point Wally. The fun factor would die very quickly if I wrecked every time I left the pits. Hell, even IN the pits sometimes.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
Round Results
Season Standings

Congratulations to Guybrush and Darren on the race wins, and Darren on the round win.

Race 1 Podium

1) Guybrush Threepwood
2) Ysu
3) Darren Marsh

Race 2 Podium

1) Darren Marsh
2) Glen73
3) Wally

Round Points

Darren Marsh48
Ysu44
Glen7343
Guybrush Threepwood43
BJSRacer41
Wally41
Simone33
Bacchulum31
Rob31
Butters28
cramjet28
Dave O26
Vipergod24
Marty20
Flattop17
GWyar16
Jestronix16
Mopz14
Phil14
Freezer12
Rolz9
rooshooter9
SpeedFreak9
Dick Forrest4

Team Championship
1   TKO Racing   85
2   Projekt Rennesport   84
3   Achilles Heels   63
4   Team MRT   55
5   Aleph Null Ltd   48
6   Freezer   21

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
Well, seems like fuel was our major Achilles Heel tonight.  Maybe next season we can race solar cars Wally???

Was a good round.  Well done to everyone, but especially Darren, YSU, Glen and TKO Racing.  YSU was very kind in pushing me over the line when I ran out of fuel and sacrificed a few positions to help the walking wounded!  :D

Look forward to the next round.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
Looks like there was a full grid tonite. How will the reserving work if there is not a full field on the night?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 11:14:54 PM »
Looks like there was a full grid tonite. How will the reserving work if there is not a full field on the night?
If someone posts in the forums that they can't make the next round for whatever reason, then I will add the reserves in their place.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »
My race report:

I had some good racing with Projekt Rennesport (Glen and BJS) tonight. In race 1 I was chasing Glen, being faster than him on entry into some corners but then slower on exit in others. I got alongside him on a few occasions, but didn't have the speed to pass. I tried to push the nose in on the inside at Tosa where I was quicker on entry, but it didn't work out so well with both of us coming off the track as a result. I finished race 1 in 6th behind Glen without any major dramas.

In race 2, team TKO Racing got the jump on Projekt Rennesport who went nowhere off the starting line - their team engineer gave them the gear set 2 I suppose, in a strategic ploy. Ysu and I took off in chase of Darren and Guybrush, and eventually Projekt Rennesport caught me, with BJS putting me under pressure. He eventually got a run on me into the top chicane, with me on the inside trying to outbrake him, but I locked my brakes and ended up spinning off the track at the chicane, letting the Projekt Rennesport train past. BJS had an incident late in the race to give me one spot back. Came home in 3rd only because Ysu stopped to push Guybrush across the line after he ran out of fuel.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
Well, seems like fuel was our major Achilles Heel tonight.  Maybe next season we can race solar cars Wally???

Was a good round.  Well done to everyone, but especially Darren, YSU, Glen and TKO Racing.  YSU was very kind in pushing me over the line when I ran out of fuel and sacrificed a few positions to help the walking wounded!  :D

Look forward to the next round.

Will send out emails to fuel companies to see if they want to sponsor us, may make us less stingy on virtual fuel though it cost you more then me in the 2nd race. Nice of Bird to give you a push at the end as your team mate was MIA lol.

Was good to see the driving standards at the back of the pack as I only spent 1 lap in the front group and the rest down the back both races. Managed to make some passes in race 1 and onky a minor contact my fault into the hairpin giving someone a small rub sorry. Everyone drove clean and no blocking which was good to see.

Thanks to my poor showing a get the dtm but ran a couple laps last night and its not as large a gap at the next track between them as at imola. There the gap was about 4 seconds but I was only a second and a bit quicker in my few laps at Silverstone.

Probably my best chance to beat Darren but still wont be as easy as I thought.  ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
Marty if you don't bag next week it can only be due to technical issues...;)

Great racing chaps, I'm really enjoying it - and the company too!

When I saw Guybrush sitting there like a dead duck I was really torn between an evil laugh while driving by, and helping, but helping won out in the end somehow... could be the stupid mistake that'll cost me later :)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 09:32:12 AM »

Race 1... gone from memory.
Race 2. some great laps down the back with GW, Phil and roo and probably others. Hey Teamo... Dave, I didn't see you at all, only on the results list!  Lets hope the DTM drivers have a 'factor' added to their score to pull up our team average!
Had quite a few 'door to door' runs, a few 'hits' but all through incidents, the race section i saw was all very well behaved, made for an enjoyable night's racing. Thanks to all.
Not sure whether a reduced frame rate with the large client load made a difference, but but no matter how much i tried or how little, never got to my PB.
May just be 'choking' :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
*shifted my post to here*

Thanks for the race guys! You bastards are so fast!
  I hope I wasn't in the way too often :)

The second race I was keeping it on track a lot better than the 1st race. I had a couple of small slides but no 180's. I think it was Darren who lapped me on about lap 7. Bastard! lol I retired to the pits then to stay out of the way and sulk in my helmet..
 would be nice to have a spectator mode in those cases.

I have a long, long way to go before I'm competitive! But I'm having great fun. So much more real and dynamic to be in a grid of RL people instead of AI. Every time out I learn something new. Really putting it into practice is what I have to work at. Practice practice practice.

I think my lack of mad-skillz is testament to Assetto Corsa as well as you guys. It goes to show that even with half descent gear (Logitech G27) A moron like myself just cant pick up this game and expect to be fast... Well that's the impression I'm getting.
And that's great, I can only improve surly and adds great immersion... and frustration. lol

Thanks Bird for the couple of follow laps at Silverstone Int. I wanted to keep practicing but my hunger for food was starting to overwhelm me lol. I think you where telling me both my feet are a too heavy. I need to be smooth.

I notice with the replay I can get up peoples pedals and gear selections etc. I didn't watch it for too long but noticed it was a bit jerky (no not you guys in the cars) so not sure if I will be able to get any genuine learning from it or just annoyed at the frame rates in the replay.

And all the computer dramas people where having. I was pretty smooth all night and I'm on an old quad core Q6600 2.4. Graphics is a bit newer GTX660Ti. I had all the pretty stuff turned off and capped at 60fps. It still looked half descent. I only dropped frames on the starting line with the grid full. Or if i alt-tabbed / clicked on my second screen. That didn't happen before last patch.

Thanks again guys!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:50 AM »
When I saw Guybrush sitting there like a dead duck I was really torn between an evil laugh while driving by, and helping, but helping won out in the end somehow... could be the stupid mistake that'll cost me later :)

You could be banking karma points. Someone might do the same for you now.

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
Yeah I had a lot of fun in the pack. Race 1 I had a good biff with Marty and a few others - decided to let him through...such pace. I found my tyres degraded pretty badly but I managed to hold on for 9th after a few people in front ran off.

Race 2 I lost all sound as soon as I entered the car (with 10 seconds before race start - no time to fix it). Made for some interesting moments but it taught me to feel the car through the wheel a bit better. I had a spin on the final corner towards the end of the race - had a strange sensation like I was being pushed but nobody was around. The back just stepped out and kept on going - having no sound definitely didn't help.

Overall I'm quite happy with my position, if I could qualify as well as I practice I would have started a bit further up but that's just part of the game!

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
A fun hour racing you guys,we are still at the first few skirmishes but I promise the more we get to know each other the harder the racing.

2 disaster starts denied me the chance of a podium,gottta fix that first gear...(AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA)but overl all I have to say I had great fun apart for the carnage in the second race >:..(.guys!...just this,,,from my experience.The first 2 laps are crucial for a fun race,its important not to risk too much,thx guys 8))
...infact many races are lost at the first corner.

My pc does not like the online races with 20 ppl,and  last night proved that,,,stuttering ,poor frame rates and the occasional artefact did not help a nice visual experience,,But I fought hard and tried to catch up wally and glen73 but they were very consistent  and thee was nothing I could do.

Second race,,,forget it!

Good fun guys ,,and I am looking forward next week ;D     off course ..congratulations to the podiums :o
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:12:40 AM by Simone »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
First off apologies for my headlights, I didn't realise I had them double mapped.

Race one fantastic fun with Wally, for some reason I decided for most of the race to take a very cautious approach into turn one, I only planned to do that on lap one but lap after lap I braked way to early forgetting how deep you can go losing confidence each time, not wanting to brake to late and losing positions, but none the less it provided some great racing with Wally. He owned the first couple of combinations of turns and I could gather that back later through some different parts of the track. Overall it was a very good race.

Race two was again a blast with our team riding the back of Team TKO for a good portion of the race

All aboard the Bird Express

I found it a hard track to over take, you really needed to set something up over a lap or two so BJS did the best he could by maintaining maximum pressure on Wally to try and force an error, Wally did an outstanding job but eventually succumbed to a braking error, which proved fruitful for myself as well. Late in the race with his rears pretty much shot, BJS handed back his position to Wally with a braking error.

The sympathy of pit men waving there boards

Well done to the Winners of Round one Race one of Assetto Corsa @ XGN, 24 drivers plus reserves wanting a run, is a great sign.

Whisper button worked a treat as there was some swapping of info on where some particular drivers were braking late and early, also made it far easier to go past each other. Overall a good haul of points for our team!

Projekt Rennesport
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:22:50 AM by Glen73 »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
Nice screenies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal