Xtreme Gaming Network

THE Oculus Rift Thread

Author Topic: THE Oculus Rift Thread  (Read 85039 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:16 AM »
I read somewhere that the focusing of your eyes is different in the Rift as opposed to a monitor.  This could be wrong, but the way I understood it was that your eyes focus on the monitor's glass panel - so basically a foot or so away from your face, where as with the rift they are actually focusing on something that could be in the distance or up close due to the 3D/screen wizadry... or something.

Not sure how true this is, but I read it on the internet and normally it's right about most things.

No that has to be impossible, sorcery. You can trick your eyes (brain) but your eye muscles that move your retina or whatever it is stay still.

This diagram might help. I like the fact it says 'light rays' think of the man running as the screens. even though it is changing shade and colour. the focal distance is the same. The muscles controlling the shape of the lens don't actually move.
Remember, the depth of field (out of focus stuff) you see in game is artificial. Your eye is actually in sharp focus on the artificial out-of-focus  flat image (screen)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:04:26 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
It would be like looking at a mirror in terms of focus, wouldn't it? E.g. - are you focussing on the mirror surface, or the reflection of whatever's some distance behind you?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »
It would be like looking at a mirror in terms of focus, wouldn't it? E.g. - are you focussing on the mirror surface, or the reflection of whatever's some distance behind you?

correct. The eye focuses on the light sources bouncing off the mirror which is a flat. You can do a simple trick by looking at reflections in a mirror, then look at the surface of the mirror. you will feel your eyes shift. where as looking at different reflections on the mirror only slightly shift the eyes focus, which more of a fine tune.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »

For the brain, yes.  But for the eyes...not quite IMO.  I maybe wrong.

My reasoning (uneducated in eye surgery!);

The screen is close to your eyes.  While your eyes "look" at separate screens and thus the brain perceives the image to be farther off, your eyes still need to focus at the object very close up.   

Eg; you remember those stereograms, that you can see on a paper and the objects seem to be farther/closer than the paper itself?  Well it's the same thing.   

Your eyes are sitting in front of a non-transparent thing, and focusing at a static - and very short - distance.  The picture is on the surface of the monitor, you're merely fooling your brain into believing it to be farther off.
Mirror: the actual image you focus on is in fact as far as your distance to the mirror times 2.   The picture is NOT on the surface of the mirror.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »

I read somewhere that the focusing of your eyes is different in the Rift as opposed to a monitor.  This could be wrong, but the way I understood it was that your eyes focus on the monitor's glass panel - so basically a foot or so away from your face, where as with the rift they are actually focusing on something that could be in the distance or up close due to the 3D/screen wizadry... or something.

Not sure how true this is, but I read it on the internet and normally it's right about most things.
Correct I think. I wear my distance glasses and it helps to focus on, you guessed it, distant object. Go figure!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
The easy test would be to look at something far away partially covered by a close object.  If the close object looks blury then your eyes are re-focusing and eye muscles and lense changing shape.  If the near/far object is still in focus when you look at the other one then your eyes aren't changing at all which is bad for them... like staring at a monitor.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
Guys, you eyes are focusing on the monitor screen. not things floating around in it! come on guys, think now.. The monitor is projecting a image.... the monitor is flat your eyes are focused on the monitor. not some magical thing floating off in the real distance!

You can't look at a out of focused image on a screen and make it go into focus with your eyes!
If something is fuzzy on a screen. that's it. it cant get any sharper just by looking at it.
Your eyes are focusing on the screen. which does not move away from your eyes. (much)

Gratulin, do you wear your distance glasses to see things in the distance on your monitor?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
You've heard of the Lytro?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »

https://pictures.lytro.com/

WTF? Jawdrop....

sweet as!

I reckon i know how to do that. it's a sequence of shots like when you take rapid fire shots, 8 up 20 frames a second. But all taken at different focal lengths then put together in some softwear.... Hmmmm might even put it on the to-have-a-go list. 

I guess we've all seen the 3D sidwalk art?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/brain-melting-works-of-3-d-sidewalk-chalk-art
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:34:14 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »
The lenses in the rift mean your eyes are focused at "infinity", which puts them in their relaxed state. You don't feel like you're trying to view a close screen.

I think what Guybrush was thinking of is convergence which gives the 3D effect. For you to see an object clearly both your eyes need to be looking at the same part of the image, so they angle inwards more for near objects. That tricks the brain into seeing 3D even though the whole scene is in focus and your eye focus doesn't change.

I've used it for hours at a time without issue, but you can get eye strain if it's not set up right. If the IPD is set too wide or too narrow your eyes will be trying to hold a position further apart or closer together than normal which strains the muscles.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
Good News!

A new project that allows you to install an add-on to the rift that enables virtual hands.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nimblevr/nimble-sense-bring-your-hands-into-virtual-reality

Yes, we all know where this is leading   ;D

Edit: who wants to create some FFB gloves!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:13:59 PM by Phil »

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »

https://pictures.lytro.com/

WTF? Jawdrop....

sweet as!

I reckon i know how to do that. it's a sequence of shots like when you take rapid fire shots, 8 up 20 frames a second. But all taken at different focal lengths then put together in some softwear.... Hmmmm might even put it on the to-have-a-go list. 

I guess we've all seen the 3D sidwalk art?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/brain-melting-works-of-3-d-sidewalk-chalk-art

Spot on, it's only software doing this.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
Check this out if you like your photography tricks.

http://360gigapixels.com/london-80-gigapixel/london-photo-en.html

There's heaps more if anyone wants links to other sites.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal