Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R5: Paul Ricard Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S14R5: Paul Ricard Post-Race Chat  (Read 16266 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
S14R5: Paul Ricard Post-Race Chat
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
Sorry guys: horrible night. It started ok. It was fun to battle with Phil and Marty, although after the 3rd or 4th contact I decided to give up defending my position and see if I could win it on pace. Unfortunately it got very hot in my room and my brain was not working right anymore, so I had a small spin which costed me some 6 seconds. But 2nd place was still more than feasible, and perhaps even 1st, if Marty had not too much fuel with him...

Unfortunately when I went to pit the first time I could not get into pit as it was so soon after the entrance that my car was not straight enough to be recognized as in place. It took me a while to realize and so I lost another 10 seconds with that. I then lost control completely, forgot to push F10 and when I stop the second time, I both lost seconds trying to reverse into my pit box AND I refuelled again, which in any case would have been forbidden. So I thought I could remedy by reversing my fuel and change tyres by hitting "ESC", but I forgot the stupid pit box penalty Kunos added (I find that thing the worst thing ever happened to this game) and at that point the total sum of my misfortunes was more than 2 minutes and, frankly, I was just too sad.

Really sad: it was a great chance for me to win a race or at least score important points. As I will have to miss the last race for sure, I guess at this point also my chances for a season podium are gone... :(

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: S14R5: Paul Ricard Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 10:08:02 PM »
Dont worry Grat I messed up also and accidentally took fuel again on my second stop and then had a full tank and had to stop a third time for fresh tyers
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:23:31 PM »
Bad luck Grat was a fun battle early, I think you had more fuel then me so would have gained a few seconds on the fuel stop I still needed 60 litres on the stop. I saw you drive into my box so noticed you were long, also Phil had some trouble in the pits and at that point I thought I could cruise along for a relatively easy win.

After my second stopped I had freezer side by side into t1 I think or I popped out just behind along with one more car up there which I cant remember who it was. This was about lap 16 and the other car stopped and I thought I would just hang on to Freezer and wait for him to stop as he had some good pace and I was having enough trouble hanging on let alone trying to make an easy pass.

It looked like he was set for a battle as he passed me back after I got him and that point I figured hes done me on pit strategy as I remember he pitted in pretty early while only a few seconds off the lead pack. The last 8 or so laps were good fun with some real close racing and lots of passes with I think no contact between us, even the first stint with Phil and Grat I dont recall any contact with only one small rub with Russ mid race door to door on the 3rd last corner.

Overall the most racing Ive had all season with probably 10 or more passes to gain position while also being passed many times by Grat, Freezer and Phil. I really struggled for ultimate lap pace here and quite a few others stepped up a bit so it was quite a good win in the end and congrats to Freezer for putting up a real good fight all the way to the end. I think Hylas came in for 3rd so a good effort there too.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »
RACE RESULTS AND CHARTS
SEASON STANDINGS

SEASON STATS
ALL TIME STATS

Penalties
None.

Joe and Hornbag got a 10 second penalty for cutting on their qualifying laps. To explain how that works: Joe's cut lap was 2:09.123, which saw him qualify 11th. His best qual lap without a cut was 2:09.699, wich would have put him in 12th. Because he gained a qual position advantage, he got a 10 second post-race penalty.

Round Points
Marty   78
Freezer   70
hylas   62
Mael   54
RussG   48
Phil.8   42
Wally   36
Joe   30
Simone   26
Bacchulum   22
Keith   18
Bafs17   14
Rob   11
nith   9
AJ   7
Doobs   5
stevenngo   4
Vipergod   3
Dave O   2
Grat   1
Hornbag   1

Congratulations to Grat on pole and to Marty on the race and round wins.

Honourable mentions go to Simone, who had the most consistent lap times and also saw most action being the hunter and also the busiest.

Season Podium
1. Marty, 277 points (up from 3rd)
2. Grat, 256
3. Guybrush, 234 (down from 1st)

Freezer was the big mover on the season table, jumping 5 places up to 9th.

Team Standings
Achilles Heels (Guybrush and Marty) stretch their lead over DA Racing (Grat and Wally), 511 points to 395.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:40:21 PM »
I had a reasonable start, chugging along around Simone and Joe in about 7th and 8th. I had a full load of fuel at the start, so I got passed a bit on the straight. On lap 10, I saw Simone pit just in front of me, so I made a last second decision to pit with him to avoid the undercut. Only problem was Russ was right behind me, and I didn't react fast enough to say I was pitting, so he accidentally bumped me as I braked to turn into the pit entrance, which saw me skid nose first into the barrier beside the pit entrance, damaging my front splitter a bit and having to reverse. I think that cost me some top end speed, because I never saw the 2:08's again that I knew I was capable of in the practice session. My own fault for the last second dive into pits. Without that, I would have finished 2nd for sure.

I pitted on lap 19 for minimal fuel, but I still remained in around 7th or 8th position till the end of race. I knew Joe had a 10 second penalty for track cutting, so I was trying to keep within 10 seconds of him, but he pulled away on newer tyres. Phil also caught me on the last lap with fresher tyres.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 10:44:18 PM »
Bad luck Grat was a fun battle early, I think you had more fuel then me so would have gained a few seconds on the fuel stop I still needed 60 litres on the stop. I saw you drive into my box so noticed you were long, also Phil had some trouble in the pits and at that point I thought I could cruise along for a relatively easy win.

After my second stopped I had freezer side by side into t1 I think or I popped out just behind along with one more car up there which I cant remember who it was. This was about lap 16 and the other car stopped and I thought I would just hang on to Freezer and wait for him to stop as he had some good pace and I was having enough trouble hanging on let alone trying to make an easy pass.

It looked like he was set for a battle as he passed me back after I got him and that point I figured hes done me on pit strategy as I remember he pitted in pretty early while only a few seconds off the lead pack. The last 8 or so laps were good fun with some real close racing and lots of passes with I think no contact between us, even the first stint with Phil and Grat I dont recall any contact with only one small rub with Russ mid race door to door on the 3rd last corner.

Overall the most racing Ive had all season with probably 10 or more passes to gain position while also being passed many times by Grat, Freezer and Phil. I really struggled for ultimate lap pace here and quite a few others stepped up a bit so it was quite a good win in the end and congrats to Freezer for putting up a real good fight all the way to the end. I think Hylas came in for 3rd so a good effort there too.
I started with 110l and pitted for 30. If you needed 60, I would have only gained 5 or 6 seconds, so you would have been still 2 seconds ahead of me, thanks to my spin (I was just 2 seconds behind before it, but 8.somthing after it). It would have been perhaps a tight battle... but it did not go that way :(

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:47:46 PM »
Joe and Hornbag got a 10 second penalty for cutting on their qualifying laps.

Ah man! That puts a massive downer on what was a great race. I bailed out 3 low 08s which would have put me top 5ish as I noticed the cut, and didn't notice it on that one; I definitely would have slowed if I did. Would have been better off keeping the faster ones  :(

Was a fun race though, got Wally at the end of the straight on the opening lap due to his heavier fuel load. A few laps later I went around the outside of someone who went sideways on the hairpin before the straight, which was a mistake as I couldn't take the fastest line and Wally came up in the inside to the take the spot back. I then couldn't get past for quite a while and with my low fuel load it was really hurting my times. I was so close at time I'm not sure how we didn't touch, and eventually I got a draft right at the start of the straight and went past.

I pitted after lap 11 for fuel, which undercut a few people including Simone! I came out into relatively clean air and can't even remember that stint. I think I just kept it clean enough and then came in for tyres at the end of lap 16 as I could feel they were going off.

A few laps later Wally came out of the pits just behind me, and I had already got a 10 second cut penalty so I made it my mission to get 10 seconds ahead of him (not that it mattered now...) I was making good pace slowly closing the gap on Mael, but then every time I got to a back marker the gap would increase a little. I think I got it from 8.5 to 5 seconds, and I was well clear of Wally and Russ running > 10 seconds behind.

Was really happy with 11th to 5th, but looks like that's bumped down to 8th due to two 10 second penalties. Still a lot of fun.

EDIT: Out of interest does PLP use the same rules as the AC cuts? In practice I found PLP would register a cut quite often when the game did not, but I thought they always used to be inline.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:55:28 PM by Joe »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 11:19:22 PM »
EDIT: Out of interest does PLP use the same rules as the AC cuts? In practice I found PLP would register a cut quite often when the game did not, but I thought they always used to be inline.
No, they are not exactly the same. PLP is quite more restrictive when we have asphalt runoffs, but it forgives you a bit more if you actually slow down while outside the line.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:21:54 PM »
No, they are not exactly the same. PLP is quite more restrictive when we have asphalt runoffs, but it forgives you a bit more if you actually slow down while outside the line.

I knew it was based on speed you go off and back on but thought track limits were the same

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
The track limits are the same as the RSR rank app - the best that it's possible for an app to detect, which is not 100% the same as what AC penalises. Both PLP and RSR have access to the "number of wheels not on a valid track surface", as well as the dirt level of the tyres (when a tyre is dirty, it is deemed to be off track). Where it gets funky is each individual track can arbitrarily assign different surfaces (e.g. kerbs, concrete, astroturf) to be either valid track or not. Whatever detection AC uses internally, it doesn't make it available to an app.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »
Well one of my best results for quite a while.  My season started off crap but has dramatically changed.
Qualified 4th and got away cleanly following Marty and Co about a second in front.  My strategy was full tank start with a 22 litre stop any time after lap 4 to get me home.  As it turned out I was catching the front guys a bit so bailed out of lap 5 for fuel.
Thought I would come out in clean air given the early stop and the field going by but came out of the pits in 15th.
From there I just focused on doing clean quick laps and not getting held up.  I was able to hold 2.08s through this part of the race so all was good.
At the end of lap 14 I jumped in for tyres and then after a few laps found myself in P1 :) :)  Haven't been there for a long time!
Marty was behind and with 9 laps to go I was going to put up a fight.  Our pace seemed pretty close with just the back straight draft to be concerned with.  And draft Marty did.  Eventually getting by but I fought back past and held on for a few more laps until the second last lap he was by and I couldn't chase him down on the last lap.
So, great second place for me.  Excellent clean racing with Marty.  Good night all round.

Big wrap for Maki Engineering . . making its way back toward the teams podium.....

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »
With track limits its best to use PLP in practice to get your lines as in the practice server even when set to 2 tyres while plp is 3 tyres allowed out its a bit stricter as it normally marks astro turf as non valid track. I have no idea why AC has curbs and astro as valid track on most tracks which makes it a bit harder to get the lines.

Overall if you try to keep 1 tyre inside the white line at all times you should never have issues but clearly this is a disadvantage at times as many sections you can go well off track and stay PLP valid. However if the track limits were set properly with only the race track being valid track I think many would struggle more but overall people would adjust or keep getting penalties.

The tricky thing is for ultimate pace you could gain a fair bit of time pushing the limits but with PLP it was a bit less forgiving which is why I think most were considerably slower race pace then qualy server pace as they were trying to avoid the 3 cuts.  ;)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »
I was using plp but was just curious. Will be moving it to my central monitor after tonight so i dont miss the cuts  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »
I was using plp but was just curious. Will be moving it to my central monitor after tonight so i dont miss the cuts  ;D

The app stays not visible until you actually cut so I just keep it mid center screen so I can always see track limits fairly easily. It also has the little red Icon that pops up when you go off track and at that point you can see if you will get a cut for re entering track before backing off to make it green. This means in race if your on your last cut you can avoid the 10 second penalty after a big error but at a chicane for example over doing the limit its always a risk on the line you choose.

Paul Ricard same as Misano in the real Blancpain series track limits are massively abused, I know this year they have tried to crack down on it but especially at the end of the back straight that first right hand exit the lines allowed are way beyond anything we were doing there.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:06:24 AM by marty »

Offline Hornbag

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
so I run 27 laps and get the same amount of points as someone who left the race?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal