Xtreme Gaming Network

Overclocking

Author Topic: Overclocking  (Read 20894 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Overclocking
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 02:41:20 PM »
Do I just change the vcore and the multiplier, is that it ?  also can bsod cause much damage ?
None at all.  Overheating can.  But Intel chips are very sturdy, not just tolerating high temps, but also safeguarding against overheating.  There was a guy who tried to fry chips, and he simply could not kill the intel chip.  He succeeded with others, though :)

If you buy a 7700k, you'll be able to run it at 5GHz!  ;)  (but you won't be able to run win7 without much hassles!)

If you buy a decent asus board, you'll prolly be able to do that with one click, too :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:44:03 PM by Bird »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »
I usually get asus boards,  this build I went gigabyte though for a change
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »
Do you man disable llc or what do I do with it ? I have not tried h264,  but Battlefield 1 would not load for 3 times and on the 4th time I tried to launch it I got into the game but bsod within a minute
Adjust llc, should have a few steps, some boards are backwards compared to others. My asus board has 8 steps and I need llc 6, on asus higher means less vdroop under heavy loads

Ok I have read all about vdroop and understand now.   My board only have auto, standard and high for my llc settings,  I am searching the net but cant find much on it for my board, gigabyte z170x gaming 6

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
Do you man disable llc or what do I do with it ? I have not tried h264,  but Battlefield 1 would not load for 3 times and on the 4th time I tried to launch it I got into the game but bsod within a minute
Adjust llc, should have a few steps, some boards are backwards compared to others. My asus board has 8 steps and I need llc 6, on asus higher means less vdroop under heavy loads

Ok I have read all about vdroop and understand now.   My board only have auto, standard and high for my llc settings,  I am searching the net but cant find much on it for my board, gigabyte z170x gaming 6
From memory, I think auto is off (Intel's design), standard is a little bit and high is high llc

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »
so would a good start be 4.5@1.300 with standard llc do you think ?

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 06:14:03 PM »
Sounds good, just keep an eye on cpu temp and vcore (not vid with skylake) with some good software like hwinfo64 - sensors only

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
I am tossing up between these 2 which my local shop has at an ok price,, with Christmas I didn't have time to decide
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-G27C2
https://www.asus.com/au/Monitors/VX24AH/
My brother is on the lookout for a new monitor too and I recommended the MSI as well as others, looks good. The asus though, I don't think has vesa mount, I have a 1080p version for my daughter

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »
I tried this with standard and high llc and went up to 1.35v   , still blue screens and games wont launch or if they do they blue screen after 1 min max. the blue screen is always clock watchdog timeout.
I came across this thread, which decides this is not a good board for overclocks and requires a slightly different approach. Post 5 is the interesting one.  I have not tried it yet as I am not sure its worth the bother. I can get to 4.3 ghz easy but any higher it blue screens, and .3 does not make much difference , I really just think I lost the cpu lottery
http://www.overclock.net/t/1610175/anyone-oc-6600k-or-6700k-on-a-gigabyte-z170-board

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:56 PM »
I tried this with standard and high llc and went up to 1.35v   , still blue screens and games wont launch or if they do they blue screen after 1 min max. the blue screen is always clock watchdog timeout.
I came across this thread, which decides this is not a good board for overclocks and requires a slightly different approach. Post 5 is the interesting one.  I have not tried it yet as I am not sure its worth the bother. I can get to 4.3 ghz easy but any higher it blue screens, and .3 does not make much difference , I really just think I lost the cpu lottery
http://www.overclock.net/t/1610175/anyone-oc-6600k-or-6700k-on-a-gigabyte-z170-board
That post you mentioned sounds like it'd help you a bit for that motherboard. You can try manual/fixed voltage first to see where your cpu stands then dial in the dynamic voltage. Low voltage will most likely be the cause of the bsod. Try to keep around 1.4v maximum so long as the cooling can cope, around 80c max is ok. The asus board is pretty good, heaps of settings, but still a pain to work out at first. Not without problems though, different bios versions had different bugs or broken things. This guy uses a gigabyte board
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:59:48 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:10 AM »
I watched the video and tried what he did by doing just the multiplier at 44 and nothing else which according to cpuz was running at1.28V and got to 64 degrees. I got about 15 mins of prime95 before it blue screened

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:40 AM »
I watched the video and tried what he did by doing just the multiplier at 44 and nothing else which according to cpuz was running at1.28V and got to 64 degrees. I got about 15 mins of prime95 before it blue screened
64c is good and gives you extra headroom for more voltage. My chip is below average, it needs quite a bit of voltage, hopefully yours is better. Start with a manual voltage of 1.375 and multiplier of 43 and increase one step at a time until it crashes then back off one, keep ram at default 2133 at first only and only apply xmp after you've found what your cpu can do. Like me you might need extra voltage on vccio (cpu memory controller) and vccsa (system agent) keep those at a max of 1.2v. See how that goes, if you find a multiplier stable with manual voltage first, then you can try the dynamic voltage with the same multiplier. Have you got the latest bios version from gigabyte a lot of early Z170 bios' were buggy. My vcore is 1.4v but is actually about 1.44v because of the higher llc I'm using, my vccio and vccsa voltage are 1.25v. I've bumped up ram voltage to 1.39v so I can clock it higher than xmp.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »
Don't fuss too much, Phil, you haven't lost any lottery.  You have a chip that overclocks from 4GHz to 4.3 - that's  7.5% free powah :)
Some chips are indeed a bit better, some boards are better (at o/c), but all in all, you still got a bit extra.   It wouldn't make too much of a difference to get another 200MHz imo.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
Thanks, yeah 7.3% free powah is better than nothing,   I do have latest bios,

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »
I did prime95 for an hour at 4.4 with 1,350v and llc on high but got a little warm at 88 degrees 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:21:28 PM by Phil.8 »

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »
I did prime95 for an hour at 4.4 with 1,350v and llc on high but got a little warm at 88 degrees
Prime will run hot and the load fluctuates a bit, so you might get a high maximum but the average will be lower, games won't be that hard on it temp wise.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal