Xtreme Gaming Network

Skin download for next round.

Author Topic: Skin download for next round.  (Read 27884 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Skin download for next round.
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »
Dick's skin pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wnd7ypltpcybw7/Season3%20Skinpack%20001.zip?dl=0

Extract the individual skin folders under the appropriate car's skins folder.

Thank you Dick.

As in the signup thread, these are speed-based colours. Slower cars are green, faster cars are red. I've assigned these skins to everyone on the grid, so download the skin pack if you don't want to see default skins!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:58:35 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Skin download for next round.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
Thank you, your Dickness!  ;)

Actually...where/how to unpack these?  The directory names don't seem to match the ones in ac/content/cars/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:51:54 PM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
Thank you, your Dickness!  ;)

Actually...where/how to unpack these?  The directory names don't seem to match the ones in ac/content/cars/

no worries Bird!! Yeah unfortunately you'll have to unpack them onto your desktop or something. then manually put them in the right folders. I think I have named them all as car.
Or is it unpacking as one big mess?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »
Nope. Works for me. Pretty easy to just drag to correct car skin folder.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
It is a bit of a mess, cause it seems you'll create this sort of folder structure; (example)
/content/cars/bmw_1m/skins/Bmw_1m/  ... skin files here

(i.e. bmw 1m skin in the bmw 1m folder... oops)

If you guys agree, we can re-pack it so that you can unpack the whole thing in your ac folder.
I'd create folder structures like this:
/content/cars/bmw_1m/skins/XGNs3/ ... skin files here

I can do it, but I reckon it changes the skin's "name", correct?  And that puts some extra work on Wally...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:00:12 PM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »
It is a bit of a mess, cause it seems you'll create this sort of folder structure; (example)
/content/cars/bmw_1m/skins/Bmw_1m/  ... skin files here

(i.e. bmw 1m skin in the bmw 1m folder... oops)

If you guys agree, we can re-pack it so that you can unpack the whole thing in your ac folder.
I'd create folder structures like this:
/content/cars/bmw_1m/skins/XGNs3/ ... skin files here

I can do it, but I reckon it changes the skin's "name", correct?  And that puts some extra work on Wally...

Ahh see.
I knew there was some way of doing that. I just didn't know how. But that would be ideal Bird.
I'm not home atm so I can't change the download till later. It's up to Mr Wally anyhow I'd say.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
I think keeping the skins named as they are isnt really a problem, it just makes it easier for wally and quite likely nobody else would use the same naming structure for a skin. At least the way it is you can tell which is which except for the one not named properly. The bmw z4 should be for the z4 s1 otherwise you wont see guybrush in his kitty machine.

I would be easier if packaged in the proper folder structure even though its not so hard to do as is atm. I can imagine a few guys would want a simpler method but there will be some that likely will mess it up either way.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 02:57:31 PM »
It isn't very user friendly atm.
Ideally the game should show whatever skins the server host wants to use and we all see them regardless. Or even better, you log into a server with your skin of choice and everyone else can see it. I think that would be a technological miracle to do that though.

As it is there is a lot of file digging to install skins, tracks, cars etc. Would like to see a flashy UI down the track.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »
It isn't very user friendly atm.
Ideally the game should show whatever skins the server host wants to use and we all see them regardless. Or even better, you log into a server with your skin of choice and everyone else can see it. I think that would be a technological miracle to do that though.

As it is there is a lot of file digging to install skins, tracks, cars etc. Would like to see a flashy UI down the track.

I think skin sharing is something that should be addressed, a simple way is to have each person add their skins to the game. Then these be uploaded to an official server somewhere and when joining a server users get the option to dl all skins automaticaly they dont have that are in the server. Best not to force the server to host these files but a seperate host that all servers will be able to access and get skons from.

This way if you make a skin and race on any server all people will be able to see it, now its only usefull in a league setup. Main reason I havent bothered much with skinning is because in the end onoy you see the skin most of the time and everyone else just sees a white car.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 03:49:42 PM »
How it is right now is how I've set the entry list up. I. E with skin name matching not quite matching the car like in dick's original download.

ninja edit: Bird :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:07:39 PM by Bird »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
sorry about that edit :D 
Ok , let's try to use it as it is.  I'm wondering how many ppl will be able to figure it out correctly.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
sorry about that edit :D 
Ok , let's try to use it as it is.  I'm wondering how many ppl will be able to figure it out correctly.

Hopefully all the intelligent people will be fine. I might have to walkthrough the procedure with those Achilles Heels fellas though.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
Im sure most should be good after all Dick came up with the idea so it must be the most logical way of doing something.  ;D

Just make sure everyone puts the z4 into the z4 s1 as Dick screwed the naming up on that skin even using his own method.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
Im sure most should be good after all Dick came up with the idea so it must be the most logical way of doing something.  ;D

Just make sure everyone puts the z4 into the z4 s1 as Dick screwed the naming up on that skin even using his own method.

I had to mess up something. I probably have it in the wrong folder myself.  :D
and I'll blame Wally for having vague car lists in the 1st place lol.

And Wally, Will we be using the other cars? I've only done the 8 skins.. or is it 9? Whatever, I think there was 13 cars in the original sign up thread list. Are these other cars going to be left out?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »
Any of those cars could get used in the coming weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal