Xtreme Gaming Network

Krahl's Dedi Server is up

Author Topic: Krahl's Dedi Server is up  (Read 36911 times)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: Krahl's Dedi Server is up
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
We had about 8 guys on the server, but everyone was warping a little - worse than the Amazon servers. Several people reported network quality fluctuating down to 90 and up again. Then we jumped onto one of Marty's Amazon servers, and it was much more solid.

As Bird said, this is just another virtual server and not truly a dedicated server. At this rate, it looks like netcode not handling fluctuations in client connection quality well, and we're just as well to stick with the server we've got.

Oh well least you got to test, sorry was no better,  strange though  I have had 15 people a few times with mopz and a couple of high pingers and nerver really had any warping,  people have even commented in the past how smooth it was .

If all testing done now and not gonna use I might put back on some open wheelers.  If want to ever try again just give me a yell :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »
It was certainly worth a test to compare different servers. Thanks for letting us use it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:08 PM »
Seems more down to individual connections but overall there was more warp and jitter on that server then when we were back on the Amazon. Ed Wood jumped on my server later and it did warp a little but overall I think the Amazons have been doing quite well its just a few people with for whatever reason getting some poor connections that warp at times. Its not everyone on the server so it does seem to be client side issues. Thanks for the test Krahl was good to get a comparison done to see if it was the server but seems its another issue.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »
anytime

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 10:32:24 PM »
I think assetto corsa has major problems with packet loss and any internet usage on the client side, no matter how small can cause major flucuations in quality and ping,  hope it gets better and this isnt another netKar Pro

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ASUC_enAU545AU545&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=netKar+Pro+warping

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »
We used to race netKar, and in the last version of the game, the netcode was quite good and stable. Not perfect, but certainly good enough for bumper to bumper racing - better than the warping we're seeing occasionally now.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
cool, I have it , but only played a few times and I thought felt just as warpy,  probably just the server I was on
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:57:06 PM by Krahl »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
I also asked who hosts my server out of interest is it cloud or not. Here is the response.   

Hi Philip,
To clear things up for you all of our servers, Including game, are run on dedicated servers.
As good as cloud is when it comes to game servers the performance is not as good as it is on dedicated servers due to core speeds usually being lower on the nodes powering cloud as they go for more cores over the clock speed of the cpu.

He also said they have just upgraded and moved servers to a new data location and that probably is giving lower than optimal performance until they have finished the total migration.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »
Just sent me this if anyone is interested

Hi Philip,
I can give you a run down of the basics of what your server runs on.
We run Assetto Corsa on a Multi-Core processor clocked at 3.8GHz with hyper-threading enabled, 16Gb of ram for the system, Windows Server and Solid State Drives for storage and a 1 Gbps network connection configured for running game servers.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
Oh well least you got to test, sorry was no better,  strange though  I have had 15 people a few times with mopz and a couple of high pingers and nerver really had any warping,  people have even commented in the past how smooth it was .

It could be that tomorrow it'll be great, or simply another time it'd be great, then bad again.  It's the nature of shared environments.   I had clients on servers that run absolutely perfect for 90% of the time, but nearly every day at certain times someone started up something and the whole server was going like a bloody snail for half an hour.

As I wrote; it may be a dedicated server, but to make a buck they will have to sell services to a lot of people.  So in essence they're doing the same that any cloud service does; selling a share of the resources to each user.  The big difference is that in cloud environments the separation is better, and the resources can often be moved from server to server very simply.

Btw they gave out precious little information about it, after all.  We don't know anything important about where and what they're selling.
And that blurb about the CPU is of no concern;  just check the cpu usage on any amazon instance, you'll see they can take a lot.   
Besides...if they sell a lot of instances on that server, they either need to run some virtualisation software (which itself takes up a bit of cpu - and frankly, they'll be no better than any cloud service) or they can't guarantee a good cpu availability - even one client can overload the server with a faulty software.

In any case; many thanks for letting us try it!
As long as a server (and its connection) is running well under capacity, it can be a very good place to be.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »
Well the guys I was following were smooth as butter.  I think it just comes down to how AC handles p packet loss.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 07:19:17 AM »
Well the guys I was following were smooth as butter.  I think it just comes down to how AC handles p packet loss.

I didn't notice any warping last night. Noticed a few idiot wreckers though. Think they had a few p p pa pakets lost. if you know what i mean.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 07:57:21 AM »
On Krahl's server, I drove behind heaps of guys for a whole lap watching their cars, and virtually everyone warped at some stage. On Marty's server, it was smooth (I think I saw EdWood warp once).

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 08:11:57 AM »
On Krahl's server, I drove behind heaps of guys for a whole lap watching their cars, and virtually everyone warped at some stage. On Marty's server, it was smooth (I think I saw EdWood warp once).

I guess it was just the one test as well.
. I wonder if yourself, Marty and Krahl could handle doing a Tuesday night on the three different server choices? Maybe even for a few weeks to see if there is any definitive pattern?
  I'm sure it is a lot of hassle and work and the result will be more questions than answers...

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »
Just glad I helped, Sorry it wasnt better,  and any server is the same , be it cloud or dedi, they are all sharing resources of one rack to make instances ,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal