Xtreme Gaming Network

Luccaring

Author Topic: Luccaring  (Read 28839 times)

Offline norbs

• View Profile
    • Non Pro Cycling
Re: Luccaring
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »
Such a terrific track.
ARSE, cyclist and midget wrangler.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 03:33:05 PM »
Nice vid again Marty.

First time I've got to try this track properly.  It was good.  The hardest part is just following people.  I think whoever was in front normally stayed in front baring any silliness - which I inflicted on myself time and time again while learning the ropes.  It would be interesting to have some more races and find out where the passing opportunities are - it's difficult because most corners only have one decent entry/line, and the corners preceding the straights are usually difficult to follow someone through.  Part of the fun of a street race.

The GT cars are really good around there.  It was a lot of fun.

Passing is not easy and you really need to make a clear move and get a good run into a commitment point, in the few races we had though there weren't many passes other then when someone made an error. Its one track I wasn't hanging around off the line because being out front is the best position for sure.

Following is very tricky and the pace with both of you guys was pretty nuts so a couple races where I was behind just trying to hang on while having less visibility of entry points and brake points. I did suggest in the official thread to maybe consider moving pitlane further back down the straight and open up the last turn. This would allow you to get closer or maybe even beside the person out of the last chicane and make a pass into t1. This was pretty much where all passes were made but also only on lap one as its hard to be close enough to someone out of the exit of last turn unless they make a mistake there to pass into t1.

Also the other good spot where I had most runs on people but could never make a move was out of the first chicane, here if you get a real good run you can get beside someone but then t4 with the extra exit kerbs makes it a one car only section and so you either need to back off or get far enough ahead on the inside to make the other guy back off. If that exit kerb wasnt there you may be able to run side by side through it and make a pass into the next chicane.

The other part of track with the fast sections turns 8 to 9 if you nail that you can get a run into t11 chicane and I did pass a few guys into t13. So the second half of the track I think has more chance of passing but driving close enough to others through this section makes it very easy to nail a wall.

I think its a real fun track but those 2 very narrow track sections last turn and t4 I think are kind of like the section at Macau where its only possible for one car to get through and so getting good runs in the first third of a lap is going to be very hard to pass anyone.

Just trying to drive as hard as possible to pull a gap and hang on to others was great fun though, I dont know how it would change the track if those 2 sections were slightly opened up. but even the other track sections are quite wide but you need to use all the track so its still not easy to pass someone there.

We did run the tatuus there the other day and that was even more hazardous as Aero damage from brushing a wall meant you were out of the race. In the GT cars its only if you do suspension damage does it really hurt so it would be good to have damage a bit more consistent and aero damage to effect all cars even if just slightly.

I was liking how tyre damage from lockups was getting quite brutal at times and I did manage to do some big lockups of the right front into the last chicane. This just made it worse each lap and was losing grip on that side plus wheel was shaking like crazy.

A large field race here would be interesting but could get rather messy as it did for a couple starts when we were all desperate to get out of the first chicane in front.  ;D If someone spins it here it pretty much block the track so yellow flags and safety cars would be needed. This however is not anything new to street circuits and is pretty common at Macau each race.  ;D

[youtube]t07bPyVVn5k[/youtube]

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 01:18:34 AM »
This track has been updated recently though it was already very good, for me I think the best mod track. So much fun in the current cars too.

Here is me thrashing around a lafferari in the 0.7 release.

[youtube]Qod435FiseA[/youtube]

Racing its tricky like any street circuit but pushing as close to the walls as you dare is why I love street tracks so much. There is no abusing track limits when they are solid walls.  ;D

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 06:56:25 AM »
Yeah I wish there were more decent Street circuits.  Monaco would be awesome...

Lucaring is an awesome mod but it feels like you are driving the same 2 or 3 corners, or variants of,  the whole time. . Still a very enjoyable track though. I don't know how the guy that made it kept his motivation for the year or so it took.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Id love to see a proper street circuit get the full scan treatment from Kunos. Monaco, Adelaide, Macau or any other very good street track. Mostly tp get a proper detailed track surface as most street tracks in older sims are way too flat and smooth.

Hopefully the montreal track gets finished amd raceable, that can be a tricky fun street track too.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
Montreal is fairly forgiving though in most corners.  I want to race on a track that has walls instead of white lines :)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »
Montreal is fairly forgiving though in most corners.  I want to race on a track that has walls instead of white lines :)
Daytona? :P

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »

Thats why I didnt like the Adelaide 88 track as much, only really one wall that you could hit unless you properly stuffed up and everyone was just driving over the exit kerbs like the road on the other side was meant to be the actual track with the kerbs just providing a little jump mid exit.  ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
Ask Mika Hakkinen about hitting walls at Adelaide.
[youtube]HPgkm-wsc6M[/youtube]

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:03 PM »
A little different to driving a GTA around there.  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »

Thats why I didnt like the Adelaide 88 track as much, only really one wall that you could hit unless you properly stuffed up and everyone was just driving over the exit kerbs like the road on the other side was meant to be the actual track with the kerbs just providing a little jump mid exit.  ;)

If you got it right it was quicker not to do the little jump.  The V8's seem to go over the whole kerb, but I think in AC kerbs have a greater impact on speed, it just seems they inherently disturb the car more than they should to the point where most tracks it's quicker to stay off them.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »
Though off topic here this shows the v8 line around adelaide, also note the yellow line shows track limits. Mostly t6 and 7 where planning to run wide meant you could carry way more entry speed. Sure everyone makes mistakes but when that truck didnt detect cuts t1, 6 and 7 could be easily abused and gain more then 1 second per lap quite easily.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »
v1.0 of the track has just been released. Im just downloading the HD version which is 1GB  ;) I think the regular SD version on RD will be much smaller.

Version 1.0 (list of major updates)
A full photogrammetric scan of the monumental walls + some hidden monuments and artifacts (this required something like 6000+ images!..which meant hours of shooting and days waiting for the right light conditions + hours of processing + retopo etc…hope you like it!)
A scan of a modern small crane-machine taking care of them walls (wonder how it would feel to race one of those..)
A complete new set of low poly “background vehicles”, also modeled and textured after photogrammetry
5 new buildings (taking the place of placeholder copies of existing buildings), 3 of which were gently modeled by fellow supporters (will credit them but can’t remember right now)
Refinements/fixes to existing buildings
Added TV antennas, air conditioners and chimneys all around on top of the houses as in real Lucca
Added 2 gigantic cranes: these were there when i started the project. They are still there and i don’t exactly know why. I decided to include them as i suspect they will be there forever and become landmarks. That’s how it goes in Italy sometimes, and that is also why you’ll find them quite rusty (in case you get there as a result from an impossible crash or physics failure).
A nice photo-scanned monument of a man on a horse, named “Statua alla Libertà Lucchese”, which was hidden by previous restoration works and recently finished and set free by the Town council. It took something like 10 years to restore it*, and it required us a 8mt. pole to scan it, and yes, maneuvering that thing around trees was a nightmare (including lots of people looking at us, and 2 tries before we had the right set of images). Look for it in front of Porta San Pietro!
We finished the low poly model of the complete “inner town”. This will be the foundation for our next episode of LuccaRing (and more). The model currently has low quality textures stolen from GE (no need for hi-res anyway since you can’t see much from the current layout)
Removed some of the grandstands to save some polygons..also did not really want to occlude the vista on the walls!
Brand new (better looking and no tiling shown) grass textures all around

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
It was already an impressive looking track, so I'm looking forward to seeing this update.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
v1.0 of the track has just been released. Im just downloading the HD version which is 1GB  ;) I think the regular SD version on RD will be much smaller.
Any links to the HD version?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal