Xtreme Gaming Network

Try something for me - set grid on practice server

Author Topic: Try something for me - set grid on practice server  (Read 10908 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Try something for me - set grid on practice server
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »
If you could create an app for this Wally I think it would be very well received by the other leagues.  Especially if you could make it so certain cars start from certain grid places?  -  that might be too much to ask though.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »
I think Wally has hacked the server.exe so any app would need to be run with this, I think he is also using the log parse to get race results then somehow has the entry list which he then has another little app that writes a new entry list according to these results in a reverse grid method as used here.

It would be pretty cool to just run open servers with fixed grids for all cars so fastest cars last slowest cars first and qualy doesnt matter.  ;) Then people would choose a car that may be quicker but be handicapped by starting at the back of the pack. Would need some good drivers in for this to work otherwise it would be chaos but it would be fun to try on a fun night at some point.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »
From past experience in the netKar days, reverse grids do lead to trouble. The fast guys barge through from the back, elbows out, and after a lap or two everyone's in their ”natural” order. I've seen it time and time again. What did work better is reversing only the top half of the field. What could also work is reversing both halves e.g. reverse 1 to 12 and 13 to 24. One thing that sucked though, was if you DNF'd the race, you'd start from the back and effectively blow 2 races. What I would do is reverse the grid based on qualifying order, not race finish position, say even qually of race 1, and probably just for race 3 too, just to add some spice to the final race.

I can't make an app of this, because I've altered the server - this has to remain private.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 11:10:46 AM »
I think Wally has hacked the server.exe so any app would need to be run with this, I think he is also using the log parse to get race results then somehow has the entry list which he then has another little app that writes a new entry list according to these results in a reverse grid method as used here.

It would be pretty cool to just run open servers with fixed grids for all cars so fastest cars last slowest cars first and qualy doesnt matter.  ;) Then people would choose a car that may be quicker but be handicapped by starting at the back of the pack. Would need some good drivers in for this to work otherwise it would be chaos but it would be fun to try on a fun night at some point.

That would be a fun idea, the open server. I can PM you a download to the server.exe for you to put on one of your servers. Then you just need to set an entry list with the cars in whatever order you want.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal