Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R6: Nürburgring Sprint GT Post-race Chat

Author Topic: S14R6: Nürburgring Sprint GT Post-race Chat  (Read 11966 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S14R6: Nürburgring Sprint GT Post-race Chat
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »
RACE RESULTS AND CHARTS
SEASON STANDINGS

SEASON STATS
ALL TIME STATS

Penalties
Race 2, Grat moved across from his side of the track at turn 1, clipping Nith who was on his own side of the track and had overlap. Even though Marty wasn't hit, he was significantly impeded when he slowed to avoid a collision with Grat. Grat gets a 50 kg penalty next race for not following the "stick to your side of the track on the first 2 corners" rule.

Simone ran into the back of Joe, so gets a 50kg penalty next race.

In the Bacchulum/Simone collision, Bacchulum moved across to the apex of the fast right sweeper, with his rear just clipping Simone's nose. It looks like Bacchulum couldn't see Simone, and Simone had no chance to avoid contact, so no penalty.

Round Points
Phil.8   76
Marty   73
Jeremy   57
nith   54
hylas   42
Freezer   42
M8R   36
Grat   27
Keith   27
Seanus   22
Mael   20
Wally   19
Doobs   13
Bafs17   9
stevenngo   7
Bacchulum   5
Simone   5
Dave O   4
AJ   3
Joe   1
Vipergod   1

Congratulations to Phil on pole, race 2 win and the overall round win and to Marty for the race 1 win.

Season Podium
1. Marty, 350
2. Grat, 283
3. Phil, 282 (up from 4th)

Nith was the big mover on the season table, jumping 4 places up to 9th.

Team Standings
Achilles Heels (Guybrush and Marty) hold their lead over DA Racing (Grat and Wally), 584 points to 441.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:17:53 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: S14R6: Nürburgring Sprint GT Post-race Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
Had a look at race 2, lap 1 crash. Since live I said "I felt I got pushed", I just want to clarify that after watching the replay Nith did NOT "push" me: when we touch there is a very small, but significant overlap. Personally, I did not think he was overlapping me at all, so I chose very early to go for the right (inside) lane and Phil accepted that and covered the left (outside) one. For all I knew, then, nobody was going to attack me more to the right. Unfortunately, because of how the track gets narrower there, I think Nith simply thought I was leaving him a space on the right. So when he found grass ahead of him, he steered. Perhaps, if it was me, I would have lifted there, as at that point he had nowhere to go. So yeah, bot him and I did not do enough to avoid a crash. I personally feel innocent, but I do not feel he should have any blame either.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:50:38 PM »
I say blame Marty. What happened on the start of race 2? It was chaos in the midfield, a bunch of us where locking brakes before the start line.

I vote for a penalty of 50kg ballast for the rest of the season for Marty and Grat  ;D

Offline nith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »
Had some fun races tonight.

Race 1
Managed to gain 1 position in the first corner and someone spun infront of me in the final turn. So moved up from 6th to 4th. Rather boring race after that maintaining the gap.

Race 2
I had a great run behind Grat and thought i could pass into turn 1. Not sure what actually happened (would love to watch a replay) but i kept as clean as possible. Managed to get into 1st position out of t1. I was trying not to make an mistakes for the first laps on cold tyres and Marty pitted on lap 3 (i think Marty has Nith phobia) which worked out really well for me once i pitted from the lead on lap 10. Phil managed to get me in the pit stops after a shocking out lap and i was right on his tail when my PC froze sending me into the sticks. When it came back to life i was in p6 with 4 flat spotted tyres and damage. No coming back from that point and settled for a 4th place. Shame as i felt i could of been on the podium for the first time.

Really looking forward to the replays if someone has time. I didn't save mine.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
I say blame Marty. What happened on the start of race 2? It was chaos in the midfield, a bunch of us where locking brakes before the start line.

I vote for a penalty of 50kg ballast for the rest of the season for Marty and Grat  ;D

I guess I banked the field up too much but then I also got away catching Grat napping a little, into t1 I thought this will be easy as I had about 100m gap before the brake point. I started to brake and saw a car coming in way too hot so I couldnt turn in at all or else it would have been a big crash. I pretty much stopped at t1 before even turning right and off the track but still had some contact with Grat. There I then had to let quite a few cars past before rejoining the track.

At least it made the race interesting as I lost quite a few spots there, it wasn't looking like I would be able to get through the people there too easily and so pitted early hoping to gain some more time on the leaders with clean track then behind others. It kind of worked but then I caught traffic much sooner then I expected and in the end pushing as hard as I could I only gained about 1 seconds on Nith up front before he stopped.

Phil stopped the lap after and came out close to him so I thought that would help me if they get into a battle, unfortunately Nith had some computer issues and went left when he should have gone right. This left Phil ahead by about 4 seconds with about 7 or 8 laps to go and about 6 laps fresher tyres. I didn't think I had much hope of making the time up but had some fun going as hard as I could, 1 or 2 close calls but pretty consistent laptimes all quicker then my qualy lap saw me gain some ground. With 3 to go it was about 1 second but my tyres were also struggling  I still managed to get in some reasonable lap times and got up to Phil but he drove solid for the race and possibly round win.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:19:20 PM »
Had a look at race 2, lap 1 crash. Since live I said "I felt I got pushed", I just want to clarify that after watching the replay Nith did NOT "push" me: when we touch there is a very small, but significant overlap. Personally, I did not think he was overlapping me at all, so I chose very early to go for the right (inside) lane and Phil accepted that and covered the left (outside) one. For all I knew, then, nobody was going to attack me more to the right. Unfortunately, because of how the track gets narrower there, I think Nith simply thought I was leaving him a space on the right. So when he found grass ahead of him, he steered. Perhaps, if it was me, I would have lifted there, as at that point he had nowhere to go. So yeah, bot him and I did not do enough to avoid a crash. I personally feel innocent, but I do not feel he should have any blame either.

See my results post, Grat. Because of not staying on your side of the track into turn 1, I've awarded you a penalty for next race.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 11:23:34 PM »
See my results post, Grat. Because of not staying on your side of the track into turn 1, I've awarded you a penalty for next race.
Wally: I accept the penalty, but I do not understand the explanation. Which one would be my "side"? Phil went left, so I went right. So then I expect "right" to be my side... I am very confused.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:31:25 PM by grat »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:30:59 PM »
In the opening lap of race 1, my PC started stuttering and hitching like something had started running in the background, which put me off and made me spin badly at the opening S section. I had to wait for the field to pass and rejoined in 20th position. From there, I had a hell of a time behind Dave O, AJ and Doobs, not able to pass them and feeling held up. I got past Dave O, but not AJ and Doobs, so I decided to pit to get out of the traffic. Unfortunately, so did Doobs, so I came out of pits on his rear bumper again, and it took me another 2or 3 laps to find a way past, with us criss crossing, getting alongside but not quite effecting the pass. It was good defensive driving by Doobs. But finally I passed him, then chased down Bafs then Seanus, and caught up to Bacchulum on the final lap just as Steven spun. Bacchulum lit up the rears exiting the final corner, allowing me to sneak by on the inside and take 13th by 0.26 seconds.

It was hard work coming back from 20th to 13th, but a lot of fun.

Race 2 was much cleaner, following Seanus for the first stint, and pitting on lap 9. I let my teammate Grat past when he caught up, and when it became apparent that he wasn't going to gain any more ground on the leaders, he graciously gave the spot back. But on the final lap, again in the S curves, I just lost the rear, with it sliding out and me on full lock trying to counter it. Grat couldn't avodi running into the back of me, and Seanus took the opportunity to sneak past. That was a thrown away position.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »
Wallyç I accept the penalty, but I do not understand the explanation. Which one would be my "side"? Phil went left, so I went right. So then I expect "right" to be my side... I am very confused.
You were on the left approaching turn 1, behind Phil, with Nith on the right hand side of the track. You should have stayed behind Phil on the left, to avoid moving sideways across the track into Nith. That's why we have that rule for the opening 2 turns, to avoid collisions such as that one while the field is close and bunched up. Later in the race, when the field is not so close, that move is OK, as you are making one line change coming into the corner (although you would still have to be aware of Nith to your right).

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:41:36 PM »
Wallyç I accept the penalty, but I do not understand the explanation. Which one would be my "side"? Phil went left, so I went right. So then I expect "right" to be my side... I am very confused.
You were on the left approaching turn 1, behind Phil, with Nith on the right hand side of the track. You should have stayed behind Phil on the left, to avoid moving sideways across the track into Nith. That's why we have that rule for the opening 2 turns, to avoid collisions such as that one while the field is close and bunched up. Later in the race, when the field is not so close, that move is OK, as you are making one line change coming into the corner (although you would still have to be aware of Nith to your right).
I am not sure I do that. If you follow the track approaching to turn 1, I am the whole time just straight in line with the inside white line there.  The track is larger before and then gets narrow, but I go straight.

More in general, I do not think we can apply this logic to rolling starts, as everyone who does anything will necessarily have to, as some point, go either right or left of the guy ahead of him. In my case, I chose to go right. From the replay, I can see that Nith and another one behind him, try immediately to go even more right than I go. But from my point of view, that "more right" did not exist, as the track gets narrower later on.

I know you say I could move back left when the track gets narrower, but in that moment I thought that was exactly what we should not do: I could have hit Phil, or I could have cut the way of whoever might have been following me on the left.

As said above: I completely accept the penalty. I am just thinking maybe we should rethink the way we judge the "changing line" thing in rolling starts.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
High ping, dashmeter pro lagging out, reset router, turned off NAS, rebooted, turned off work pc, checked wife wasn't uploading and still no better. AC then lost all my controls and I had to reconfigure them all. Not a great start but then qualified 7th which wasn't too bad.

R1 Jeremy overshot T1 and I got by but then he got past a couple of laps later. I had a really slow pace at the start and managed to start picking up the pace and closing up a bit. Got to lap 11 and thought I'd pit, but then I realized I hadn't practiced a stop and wasn't even 100% sure where the pit lane started. Flew through he final chicane, 'Oh look a pit lane', spun the car 180 degrees stopped on the track. Got into the pits and only lost one place to Hylas I think as I had a bit of a gap behind. M8R was then on my tail and got by after me making a mess (still getting used to my new pedals). After that I seemed to have the pace on him but couldn't get by. I think my ping was affecting things as I would get a run out of the last turn, close right up on his rear bumper, pull out, then he'd pull away like he had nitrous. Freezer closed up on me and I knew I couldn't make any more cuts but then on lap 18 I made a slight cut, tried to slow but it still registered and due to that penalty I lost 4 places :(

R2 I didn't know exactly what happened as I saw a car suddenly inside me on helicorsa and I'd already started turning in. Sounds like Simone gave me a tap causing me to do a Vettel facing the wrong way with cars coming at me. Lots of damage and second to last. I made my way up the field a bit, and Simone gave me the place back. Pitted again around lap 11 and was behind Bafs but then baby woke up and I had to retire.

I fixed my ping issue though. Did a speed test on my phone on wifi and all good, low ping to server and 10mbit down. Did the same test on my gaming rig which is using ethernet over power and 300ms ping and 1mbit down... unplugged and replugged the ethernet over power adapter and all sorted.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
Really looking forward to the replays if someone has time. I didn't save mine.

Race 1 replay
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1qmdj6wnz49xmqr/ks_maserati_gt_mc_gt4_ks_nurburgring_layout_sprint_b_osrw_151116-230529.rar

Race 2 replay
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x8q58yy1zw3yz09/ks_maserati_gt_mc_gt4%40ks_nurburgring-layout_sprint_b_osrw_20161115221027.rar

I didnt look too closely at the incident but the way I see the rule Wally uses if you change lanes and have a collision with someone holding their lane into t1 or t2 you get some ballast. Its ok to change lanes if you keep it clean but changing lanes and causing a collision is going to make you get a passenger for the next race.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:05:26 AM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 11:48:03 PM »
Once we're on the first hot lap, the same rule applies in the first couple of corners, as cars will be bunched up and starting to overlap as you and Nith were. Side-by-side vision is the hardest in sim racing, and the odds of side-swiping someone by moving across the track are high on the opening corners. After the congestion of turns 1 and 2 on the first hot lap, of course you can move left or right to pass someone.

The rolling starts have greatly reduced opening corner incidents, and removes 3 car wide corner entries which can easily end in tears.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »
Ok. I do not want to make you lose too much time. I personally do not see when I changed lane, but I guess I should try to figure it out to avoid further issues.

No problems for me about rolling start (bar the fact that I seem to be crap at them ;)). I agree that this season's starts were very clean. In general, I really appreciated the fact that the races as a whole were very clean. I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately, it sounds like my last race will be a bit less enjoyable. ;)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 11:54:28 PM »

Looking at the replay Hylas came up fast behind the front 5 or 6 and had to lift.  M8R and Simone then also had to.  At this point I was flying up the right side only passing the car in front after the start/finish so I should have kept going and grabbed 3 spots but I thought something wasn't right so lifted and held my spot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal