Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 2: Silverstone International Chat

Author Topic: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat  (Read 76014 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
You need to use it for quick upshifts and it can take a bit of practice to get the timing right, but you don't need to use it when downshifting. You can just blip or shift at lower revs.

I tried the G27 shifter but it kept jamming on the gate. I now have a clubsport SQ shifter which is a lot better, but most of the time I just use the paddles.

Still use the clutch with the paddles?
Most of you guys are using Fanatec stuff yeah?
Fanatec seems to be the way to go for next upgrade. but I gotta get a lot faster before I can justify it.

Greger Huttu was driving a Logitech DFP (driving force pro, really old ancestor of the DFGT) up to a couple of years ago.
And if you don't know who Greger is, just look at the world records of any sim - or simply research "alien sim racer" :D

I'm not saying it's wrong to update; it's great.  But if you're good, you'll be good with nearly anything, as long as the equipment does what it needs to do, nothing fancy is required.   But a lot of practice is necessary ;)

I would only update for more immersion. And I'm a total sucker for gadgets!!

Yes practice is what I need. I'm trying to do at the very least 20 laps a night. Usually a lot more than that... except last night, I did nothing and watched TV. (at least I was watching motorsport)

Offline BJSRacer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
I think having a "cockpit" is the most important thing after your controller of choice, and when I say "cockpit" i don't just mean the purpose built type pits either, but any setup where your ideal wheel/pedal/seating position is fixed and the same everytime you "strap in".

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
I think having a "cockpit" is the most important thing after your controller of choice, and when I say "cockpit" i don't just mean the purpose built type pits either, but any setup where your ideal wheel/pedal/seating position is fixed and the same everytime you "strap in".

Yes! I have got a playseat. Pretty lame name for something that is quite strong and stable. Very comfortable. But unfortunately I have nowhere to put it permanently yet. My wheel is bolted to my desk which makes doing normal computer stuff a bit annoying. Peddles are bolted to a box as well. I can lean back nicely in my office chair. but not ideal.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 11:53:39 AM »
Wish I had that, hehe.

Offline BJSRacer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
Wish I had that, hehe.

I know what made me "feel" quicker, I miss mine. Speaking of quick, what's the lap time difference between GrpA and DTM?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:03:03 PM by BJSRacer »

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 01:02:07 PM »
1.8 seconds between the WR's on RSR.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
Yeah man! I'm not sure what that equates to me; but I'm lovin' it :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
You need to use it for quick upshifts and it can take a bit of practice to get the timing right, but you don't need to use it when downshifting. You can just blip or shift at lower revs.
That's how I've been shifting, H-pattern no aids, clutch up and blip down.
I didn't have much trouble with the 312T but I have driven that car a fair bit. ;D

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
I haven't been using the clutch at all on up-shifts.  Is it quicker using the clutch going up?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:10 PM »
I haven't been using the clutch at all on up-shifts.  Is it quicker using the clutch going up?

Not really quicker just you can do quick shifts with less chance of a miss shift that way. You can shift just as quick without clutch but need to be more precise so it just gives a little margin for error and using th clutch doesnt make you much slower so its not a bad thing to do.

How does it work when using paddles for a manual car is there also auto blip and lift as with other semi auto boxes in game.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »
Paddle/manual (I've auto-clutch off) : blip on downshifts, nothing on upshifts.

Btw when I was testing the H-shifter, I was doing lifts for upshifting.  Should I rather flat-shift up with clutch maybe?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »
Paddle/manual (I've auto-clutch off) : blip on downshifts, nothing on upshifts.

Btw when I was testing the H-shifter, I was doing lifts for upshifting.  Should I rather flat-shift up with clutch maybe?
I'm flat upshifting with a dab of clutch.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
I'm not using clutch at all. Just paddle shifting.

Question...

Does the fancy shifting you guys are using cut seconds? or 100's of seconds off your lap times?

Is it something I should be learning to do this early in my SIM career?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »

Question...

Does the fancy shifting you guys are using cut seconds? or 100's of seconds off your lap times?

No, it makes it harder and easier to make mistakes, if anything. I would stick to paddles and focus on braking and throttle - especially slow in and fast out lines.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »

Question...

No, it makes it harder and easier to make mistakes, if anything. I would stick to paddles and focus on braking and throttle - especially slow in and fast out lines.

So you're saying stupidly fast and hard on the breaks won't get me anywhere?? I do need to re-think my strategy. ;)

Let go back to the 1st chicane at Imola. Just cause it's still fresk in my brain.. How for out would you say you stop acceleration? Do you coast before applying breaks?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal