Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 3: Mugello Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat  (Read 72857 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
Just out of interest, have you tried raising the set by a few millimeters to see if it makes any real difference in handling?  I found that raising both ends by about 20 ticks (millimeters I think) Will alleviate the issue greatly.   But I'm not good enough to tell if the handling is really changed or not.

I may try that tonight but I havent had issues bottoming out once I figured out what line I can take with it. Even full of fuel hasnt been an issue but as in the imola race I didnt bottom out that setup until race 2 after many laps before without issue. But 20mm I think would have to have some effect on handling and I am quite happy with hiw it handles now that Ive learnt the line and can also take 6 flat with full fuel and hard tyres.

With lower grip levels tyre temps and pressures may be a bit lower and cause more bottoming out issues. But still holding the inside line through 8 and 9 is smooth and it has so much grip there is no need to go wide. I did try pass Guybrush inside of 9 a couple times both very unsuccesfully. The final turn I havent hit that bump yet but I am running a bit more aero so can run a lower line there with more speed.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »
I did get a big bottoming out kick between 9 and 10 one time. I raised the height just to be safe.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
If you run the line as in the video I posted there wont be a kick there. Its only if running a bit of a high line I got a few kicks. Guybrush was mentioning hitting a bump on the last turn a few times but on my line there I have not hit it yet so not sure exactly where that bump is.

Did you lose any mid corner grip raising the ride height Wally?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
If you run the line as in the video I posted there wont be a kick there. Its only if running a bit of a high line I got a few kicks. Guybrush was mentioning hitting a bump on the last turn a few times but on my line there I have not hit it yet so not sure exactly where that bump is.

Did you lose any mid corner grip raising the ride height Wally?
Not really. I think I might have set my PB with the higher ride height. I haven't really noticed much handling difference with a higher ride height - other than not getting a kick in the pants from the track when you bottom out!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
I definitely noticed a difference when raising the ride height - not as pointy and a bit sloppy in that the car will maintain grip but the tyres will growl some more and wash off more speed.  I found I couldn't take corners such as T3 flat out as easily with the heigh raised.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
I will install AIM software and run some laps this afternoon, for me what it drove like the other day I dont think I need higher suspension as I can just avoid the couple of bumps but will be interesting to see how much of a difference it will make.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »
So what is a realistic time on this track.  I'm seeing 1.44 -45s on RSR and thinking my handbrake must be stuck on.....  :(

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
I'm just thinking of safety. The bump I felt here wasn't as drastic as the Imola ones. There, your car could be sent into a spin. That didn't happen here. But still... If the bottoming out doesn't get you, a kerb will. It should be a pretty intense race.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
So what is a realistic time on this track.  I'm seeing 1.44 -45s on RSR and thinking my handbrake must be stuck on.....  :(
My race trim PB is 46.1, for reference.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
Thanks Wally, thats sounds better.  I was doing 49s on my own pc, then stangely dropped 1.5s on the server to get into the mid 1.47s.  More setup work needed I think...!

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 04:27:04 PM »
I've been running 22mm @ front and 32mm @ rear.
I've been experimenting with the travel, giving it 20mm @ front and 30mm @ rear (theoretically 2mm clearance).
No bottoming out yet ;D, but it digs in in the sandtraps :(.

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
Thanks Wally, thats sounds better.  I was doing 49s on my own pc, then stangely dropped 1.5s on the server to get into the mid 1.47s.  More setup work needed I think...!
I think I'm using 14/11 downforce on hard tyres.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 12:17:58 AM »
I'll sit this one out Wally, did about 4 laps total and that's just not enough for this track. Think I'll do the right thing by all and let a reserve in.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
I'll sit this one out Wally, did about 4 laps total and that's just not enough for this track. Think I'll do the right thing by all and let a reserve in.
Are you sure? It'll still be fun.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 08:41:18 AM »

That's 4 laps too many I say Davo!
Get out there. You will at least have me to race with if you are feeling that slow!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal