Xtreme Gaming Network

Practice Ferrari 599xx Race at Red Bull Ring - Post Race

Author Topic: Practice Ferrari 599xx Race at Red Bull Ring - Post Race  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Practice Ferrari 599xx Race at Red Bull Ring - Post Race
« on: February 20, 2018, 06:16:30 PM »
RACE 1 RESULTS
RACE 2 RESULTS

Points by the finish gap to position 2/3 (i.e. pos 10 tonight in a field of 15).
Grat and Phil.8 were very close in both finishes, so get nearly the same points etc.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:34:48 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Practice Ferrari 599xx Race at Red Bull Ring - Post Race
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:17:04 PM »
Meant to be fixed setup? ???

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:36:10 PM »
>:( VR side swipes have to stop. I saw a driver who I know is in VR take out another driver and even though I was prepared for it I couldn't avoid the ensuring carnage. >:(
Granting a bias on my part, I have $1500 of Vive just tossed on the floor gathering dust, it still seems to me that 80% of the mishaps I get involved in occur with a driver in VR. >:(
I know what you mean. VR seems to make you lose awareness of who's around you. I don't know if that's because radar type apps like Helicorsa don't work in VR, or it's too hard to look out the side window, with your view more fixed straight ahead. FOV issues maybe?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
>:( VR side swipes have to stop. I saw a driver who I know is in VR take out another driver and even though I was prepared for it I couldn't avoid the ensuring carnage. >:(
Granting a bias on my part, I have $1500 of Vive just tossed on the floor gathering dust, it still seems to me that 80% of the mishaps I get involved in occur with a driver in VR. >:(
I know what you mean. VR seems to make you lose awareness of who's around you. I don't know if that's because radar type apps like Helicorsa don't work in VR, or it's too hard to look out the side window, with your view more fixed straight ahead. FOV issues maybe?
They're too busy looking around their nice VR cabins!!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:42:50 PM »
Results are up in the first post.

Well done to Grat for winning the practice round, with Phil.8 in very close proximity. Mael came 3rd.

My first race was a really good cat and mouse game with Bacchulum. I followed him closely for 12 laps, at about the same pace, moving around in his mirrors, trying to keep him guessing where and when I might make a move. As both of our tyres wore, it made a mistake look more and more likely. Finally I managed to sneak a pass and open a bit of a gap. That was a good, long battle.

Race 2 didn't go so well, getting turned around on the first corner of lap 2 and having to wait for nearly all of the field to pass. The bit of ballast I was carrying meant I could see a group of cars tantalisingly close in front, but I just couldn't catch up to them. My prize for race 2 was "Loneliest" :(

The ballast worked really well - in race 1, 10th place was 55 seconds from the lead. In race 2, 10th place was 24 seconds from the lead. People still finished in roughly the "right" order, but the field was compressed.

Offline kcender87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:30:09 AM »
Well my interwebs done asploded - not sure why but seems to keep happening in fun runs - luck i guess ? :P sorry to anyone i warped through - thought I had this issue nailed

I run VR all the time and think it gives greater situational awareness (though I stand to be corrected by anyone i have run into :P). I find it easier to keep track of the space around the car and manage that space more efficiently - it does require some sideways glancing but its more of an overall ... jedi / matrix like feeling of just knowing whats going on around you - I can also dodge bullets

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:54:40 AM »
I like this track and managed a little practice time to work out the best way to drive it and was happy with the balance going into race 1.

Got a good start but had nowhere to go so I just pulled in behind and followed the cue around for the first lap. Lap2 was interesing, I got past a couple of cars that had a slow exit off turn 1 and was driving down the left side of the track when I got turned around rather violently and made a mess of the car. Limped back for repairs and soft tyres to experiment how long I could last, came out a lap down behind the rear of the field. The car was good for about 12 laps before the left rear gave up.

Race 2 started from the back but was on the phone at the same time. Drove the first 6 laps one handed which made gear shifting interesting. Got off the phone and tried to push as hard as I could. Managed to pull in a 35 second gap to finish 2nd last on after the last corner. Managed to dip into the 29's so pretty happy with that.

Not a huge fan of the limited setup options but it should provide close racing and the cars have enough in them to make mistakes like wheel spin off the corners. Should be a good season.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:41 AM »

Wally, Helicorsa works perfectly in VR. The problem is that some people do not use it because they think it breaks immersion. I use the app and have it to the right of my steering wheel.

When the app goes yellow you know because you look, where the person is. When the app goes red, you know cause you look where the other car is and you can drive side by side without any damage and full pace.

Just look at the tussles I get into, apart from that one accident with you Wally, I went quite a few rounds with zero damage to my car.

People should be using the app I think with or without VR. If you don't you WILL ruin peoples races.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
Had some good racing. Even managed to stay close to Phil and Grat in the first race but they handled the ballast better than me in race 2. The rear tires kept overheated early in race 2 which made the first and last corner particular difficult. It felt as the additional weight messed with my chosen brake bias.  But at least it gave me a fun battle with Russ  ;D

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »

Wally, Helicorsa works perfectly in VR. The problem is that some people do not use it because they think it breaks immersion. I use the app and have it to the right of my steering wheel.

When the app goes yellow you know because you look, where the person is. When the app goes red, you know cause you look where the other car is and you can drive side by side without any damage and full pace.

Just look at the tussles I get into, apart from that one accident with you Wally, I went quite a few rounds with zero damage to my car.

People should be using the app I think with or without VR. If you don't you WILL ruin peoples races.
Helicorsa should be mandatory.  I totally rely on it.  I use it to judge overlap all the time, determining whether I leave room or have cleared a car in a pass . . . its a must!
As for the night, I had decent speed which was good.  I find the car most difficult under brakes, with my brake modulation being more from practice/memory rather than feel.  I don't seemed to have any audio of the tyres locking or obvious feel in the wheel.  So when I feel the car not stopping I know I am locked up and lift off, and then the car starts stopping . . . its a weird approach!

Ballast gave me a slight edge on the heavier guys in front but there was a long gap to the rest of the field, not sure if there was an incident back there but I had a pretty quite 2nd race.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »
I guess there's no tyre squeak because the ABS kicks in first. But yeah, brakes are hard to judge in this one (and in part also in the bmw). My guess is that the ABS is not very sophisticated...?

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »
But at least it gave me a fun battle with Russ  ;D

Fantastic battle mate. It was great stuff.
I was just dirty on myself when the battle ended with me stuck in 2nd gear and wondering why you, ab156 and Keith were all driving past  :o. By the time I realised, it was too late  :(

Keith and I had a touch a bit later (and he had a little off) that I may have to apologise for but I'm not quite sure.

I won't leave it stuck in 2nd next time  ;D ;D
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal