Xtreme Gaming Network

Computer upgrades..

Author Topic: Computer upgrades..  (Read 60879 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Computer upgrades..
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »

Edit:

If I was strapped for cash and upgrading for a single-screen setup, I'd certainly go with a 290 (Ati).
It's far better bang for buck, and single screen + single card setups seldom have issues.
Multi-card, multi-screen...well I've tried that with Ati and I do not recommend it ;)

ATI??? GET OUT!!! :P

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »

Edit:

If I was strapped for cash and upgrading for a single-screen setup, I'd certainly go with a 290 (Ati).
It's far better bang for buck, and single screen + single card setups seldom have issues.
Multi-card, multi-screen...well I've tried that with Ati and I do not recommend it ;)

I'm not the one who needs to sell the kids' shoes to buy a new computer....stop whinging about your finances then, and buy a proper 780.
FFS!  Sort your bloody priorities out.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »

Edit:

I'm not the one who needs to sell the kids' shoes to buy a new computer....stop whinging about your finances then, and buy a proper 780.
FFS!  Sort your bloody priorities out.

Fine! I will get my priorities sorted.
More tattoos > Computer upgrade
EDIT And i'm talking thousands and thousands of dollars for my next sleeve tattoo!!
Sorry kids! No more schooling for you!!!*

*I'm single, have no children and have no interest in making children or ever getting into another relationship EVER!! Way too much trouble and crap!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:15:08 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »
I use PC Case Gear and they have been exceptional.

I built my system with a 7970 overclocked to 1200 Mhz.  It hasn't skipped a beat and is overclocked by about 25 - 30% of the original core speed!  That is fan cooled.

I too was set on Nvidia when I was ordering all the parts, but at the time the overclocking ability of the ATi card was far superior and it had 3GB of video RAM so more likely to be future compatible for my uses.  Especially with all the consoles having much more video memory these days.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »
I use PC Case Gear and they have been exceptional.

I built my system with a 7970 overclocked to 1200 Mhz.  It hasn't skipped a beat and is overclocked by about 25 - 30% of the original core speed!  That is fan cooled.

I too was set on Nvidia when I was ordering all the parts, but at the time the overclocking ability of the ATi card was far superior and it had 3GB of video RAM so more likely to be future compatible for my uses.  Especially with all the consoles having much more video memory these days.

I bet that 7970 doubles as room heater!??
 I have had Radeon cards before. I felt dirty and like I wasn't in the cool gang anymore. They do seem to get a lot hotter than Nvidia.. but yep they make good cards.. There, I said it.
It is totally a choice thing. Ford v Holden etc......

Holden rools btw...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
.... but yep they make good cards.. There, I said it.

Not quite. 

IMO:

ATI is cheaper (better bang for buck)
nV is better in multi-card & multi-screen setup, and have much better drivers, usually

Plus nV has the overall faster cards, usually.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:01:21 PM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »

Not quite. 

IMO:

nV is better in multi-card setup, and have much better drivers, usually

Are you Ford or Holden though???

I'd like to see a few more enter the market. I thought Intel where going to produce some kick ass cards but I'm still waiting.

I'd like to see more heat resistant stuff produced. Instead of trying to cool CPU's etc.. why not make them heat resistant?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »
Nothing you can do about that, electrons just like cold. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »

Not quite. 

IMO:

nV is better in multi-card setup, and have much better drivers, usually

Are you Ford or Holden though???

I'd like to see a few more enter the market. I thought Intel where going to produce some kick ass cards but I'm still waiting.

I'd like to see more heat resistant stuff produced. Instead of trying to cool CPU's etc.. why not make them heat resistant?

I am neither.   I'm was not born here :)

As for more players entering the market; it does not matter much, it'll always boil down to two.  I've read something from a mathematician, that it is the statistical necessity in these cases - just like with parties. 

By heat resistant, do you mean not to generate heat?  Yeah, it'd be nice, but it's not going to happen for a while...it needs to be 100% superconductive and operate without energy loss.  It goes against nature, it'd make perpetuum mobile a possibility.  So it's not likely to happen.

Edit: oh  soz, you mean so they can have higher operating temps...well, it's a never ending circle even if they do.  If you could run it at 200 degrees, you'd clock it so high that it runs near that temp, so it'd need cooling again to get higher... :)  Just get a decent waterblock, there are very good all-in-one units.  But be careful, with gfx cards you can't always attach them if they're not reference design.  Plus, you need to put the radiator somewhere on the case...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:08:17 PM by Bird »

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »

Not quite. 

IMO:

nV is better in multi-card & multi-screen setup, and have much better drivers, usually

I think it goes even further and comes down to each price point you are looking at.  Some price points Ati have a better option and others Nvidia do... and not necessarily Ati being better at the cheaper end.

Best thing to do Dick is to use Tom's Hardware and look at their monthly "Best GOU for the money" ratings. They break it down for different price points as well.  You can also use 3DS Max to see others using your system setup with different cards to see the performance gains.

Are you actually getting a poor frame rate though? It might be better to look at your CPU and RAM?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:51:43 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »
Just FYI,
Yes, I'm Ford or Holden.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
Ok just some note on the strength of my CPU;  it's all good up to 12 AI at Nordy.  At 14 I get the 95% warning, altho it really seems to be just around 95%.   At 16 it seems to run all 4 cores to max.

Remember, this is an Intel i5-3570k running at base clock.  I shall look into a guide on overclocking it :)  The K series can take a bit of o/c as I recall, and the multiplier isn't locked.

Edit: wait, it's already running at 4.2GHz instead of 3.4...but only under load.  Still, it seems I've properly clocked this one already :)
It maybe time to get a new CPU and some beefy gfx card...hm...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:20:18 PM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »
Ok just some note on the strength of my CPU;  it's all good up to 12 AI at Nordy.  At 14 I get the 95% warning, altho it really seems to be just around 95%.   At 16 it seems to run all 4 cores to max.

Remember, this is an Intel i5-3570k running at base clock.  I shall look into a guide on overclocking it :)  The K series can take a bit of o/c as I recall, and the multiplier isn't locked.

Edit: wait, it's already running at 4.2GHz instead of 3.4...but only under load.  Still, it seems I've properly clocked this one already :)
It maybe time to get a new CPU and some beefy gfx card...hm...

AI at nords has a fairly big hit on every cpu I think, you can turn off AI collisions and run many more there. Not sure what the issue is but also the negative side effect of doing this is that the AI away from you that go off the road end up flying through the barriers.  ;D

Try to see how many AI you can run at monza with official cars as this allows up to 26 and doesnt have the same issues as the very large mod tracks.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
Ah, well, no probs at monza.  Mixed field of 26 Pagani & Fezza, all cores were at around 75%.
FPS is shithouse, though.  Maybe 'cause I've upped the world detail, but it was just below 30fps on avg

Time for a gtx980 or two :D

Edit:
Eh, it seems the 780 Ti is still better at high res...or is it?  Anyone of you guys have gone through the reviews lately?
I'm wondering if there's anything else to consider here aside from the pixel count...3 monitors vs 1x4K I mean.  (looking at reviews, they don't usually give us 3-screen results to compare, but 4K tests are run often enough.

Meh...

the question: 780Ti   or   980   or    970SLI

Any input is welcome, but please link your sources.

Edit2:
(don't quote this, I've been there:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/20.html

based on this the 970SLI eats everything...)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:29:08 PM by Bird »

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal