Xtreme Gaming Network

AC News

Author Topic: AC News  (Read 763489 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: AC News
« Reply #450 on: October 18, 2014, 06:03:54 PM »
Hi Wally, what is the extra port required now?

I looked at the sample server cfg. One port was just one more than the other. Can't remember offhand now.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 19, 2014, 09:10:16 AM »
have you guys noticed the heat shimmering effect coming off you exhaust when you are parked? Talk about details. That made me go 'no way'out loud when I saw it. You don't even see it unless you look for it. It looks very real, Not sure if it happens in the pits. I saw it while watching a replay of me crashing into a wall and as my car stopped I noticed this heat haze coming up from the exhaust.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 19, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »
The heat shimmer to me looks a bit nasty and so I turned it off.  ;D

One thing I just found is that using nvidia if I disable in game AF and force 16xaf in driver it actually works much better for me with it set ingame and driver set to app controlled af seems way worse for me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:21:50 AM by marty »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 19, 2014, 09:55:29 AM »
The heat shimmer to me looks a bit nasty and so I turned it off.  ;D

One thing I just found is that using nvidia if I disable in game AF and force 16xaf in driver it actually works much better for me with it set ingame and driver set to app controlled af seems way worse for me.

I wonder if the have over optimized for us low-end users and not high end? I'm super stoked at how my PC is handling AC atm. Good for another 4 years..

Maybe you guys are too fussy. I remember being ahead of the curve and going nuts and start looking for solutions cause I drop 2 or 3 frames once every 3 days in crysis or CoD maxed out.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 19, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
I have had to turn PP off all together, Dont think it plays well with triples, causes micro stutters even at 120+fps and makes game look blurry and cartoony.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 19, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Dick its not a performance issue I just think it looks a bit cheesy, at the back of a grid it kind of looks funny with every single car having the exact same heat haze. Much like the broken window no matter where someone hits me it always crack in the top left corner of my polycarbonate screen.  ;D

Cheesy in both cases, I think its cool to have some effects but use them more subtle and with some variation. If it always happens and in exactly the same way it takes away the immersion level quite a bit. Just looks like they said we have made this effect and so we will spam you with it til it makes you cry.  ;D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
AC News
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »
It is similar to the driving feel. We want realism rather than candy and we are getting that with the driving physics. I think we all wanted consequences of crashing to make the racing more realistic. No one really cares about seeing a windscreen cracking. The balance has to be carefully set in a game however. Having so much damage that you cannot continue to race is real but not very good for a weekly league race where you have at most 3 races to earn points. Destroying a gearbox because you downshift from 5th to 1st is ok but destroying it because you clash gears is too much especially when it is too easy to clash gears in the first place. So it is all about balance.

AC has drawn the line very well up to now and I think they will adapt the damage model to be usable as they listen to feedback.

They learnt a lot from the first NetKar release where no one could work out how to start their cars and where the starter motor battery ran flat if you tried to start the car too many times...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:21:14 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
Ahh cheese factor. Just like my skins!
  I haven't gotten bored with the cheesy effects yet, apart from the narrow depth of field.

The damage thing, I'm liking it. small shitty cars are easier to damage than GT cars. They all have limits which great. It's early days I'm sure they will keep on tweaking it. The windscreen doesn't bother me, i like it. it does take a few hits to break it. sure it's the same animation but so is the rest of the damage. Lets hope that improves too.  I don't use the H shifter so I can't comment on that.

It's not about points. It's about racing. and having a few laughs.
 I like the realism of my race being ruined by my own foolishness or someone else's for that matter. I like the idea of having a 1/2 broken car limping around to the pits, taking 1-2 laps to repair. It's the same for all of us. We all have the same risks at stake.
sure, it's in its infancy but we need to use it to give solid feedback.

Offline Enforcer-J

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 19, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
Dick cheese?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 19, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
I turned the heat haze off too... cheesy.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:42 PM »
I have had to turn PP off all together, Dont think it plays well with triples, causes micro stutters even at 120+fps and makes game look blurry and cartoony.

Cartooney, that's correct.  I'm on triples, no micro stutter, however it comes with a hefty fps hit (about halving it). 

I love that you try everything :)
I'll give this a try, too - in what was was it better for you?  Looks or frame rate?

Have you tried setting the anti-aliasing this way as well?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 19, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »

Cartooney, that's correct.  I'm on triples, no micro stutter, however it comes with a hefty fps hit (about halving it). 

I love that you try everything :)
I'll give this a try, too - in what was was it better for you?  Looks or frame rate?

Have you tried setting the anti-aliasing this way as well?

Ive not had any frame rate issues at all AC is starting to work the titans a bit better. It just improved the look quite a bit, I also made lod bias -1.

AC always seemed to have issues rendering 16x ingame af for me with 8x looking better both performing the same. I did try this a while back but forgot about it completly but if you keep ingame at 16x it seems to overide the nv setting. So it needs to be set to off in launcher and you should notice much better af.

Another thing I found with pp effects is they look more cartoony on ultra and more natural on normal. On ultra i get these silly star shaped glare that can cover the entire screen. On normal its much more subtle and like you may see through a windscreen and as I wear contact lenses at night I can at times see a tiny star glare due to the extra lens maybe same wearing glasses too.

Did some ktm racing with low sun at baskerville earlier and the god rays looked pretty awesomen following other cars up the hill into the sun. I will need to take some screens to show how it looks and post the  later with a few different setting options.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 19, 2014, 04:00:49 PM »
Anyone else try hitting objects in game? They bounce away very realistically. Try the new track signs on Silverstone GP. The ones at the hairpin with the big red arrows.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 19, 2014, 05:27:23 PM »
Don't tell Dick he can take out all the brake markers.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 19, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
Cheers for the tip Marty (Re:AF) I just gained 100fps! ;D
(50ish-150ish)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal