Xtreme Gaming Network

Improved my ping with a VPN

Author Topic: Improved my ping with a VPN  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Improved my ping with a VPN
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:20:33 PM »
My AC ping on ADSL was in the 70's, and when I went to the NBN, it only dropped to the 60's, which I thought was a bit odd and crappy. I'm in Adelaide and the server is in Sydney. I was advised by Internode to try a VPN, which I did (PrivateInternetAccess connected to Sydney), and sure enough, my ping dropped to low 30's. Speedtest shows upload/download speeds aren't really impacted by the VPN either.

It's because I have less hops now between me and the server using the VPN (which doesn't say a lot for Internode's switching infrastructure - unless that's Telstra's problem?).
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Improved my ping with a VPN
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »
That's really weird.  I've used PIA in the past, and the connection got worse every which way :/
I am with Internode, too (although on the way out).
Keep in mind that they're now TPG owned through IINET, and very likely using TPG backhaul. 

I'm actually wondering if this is a mis-measurement, rather than a real improvement...it sounds a bit implausible to me :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »
That's really weird.  I've used PIA in the past, and the connection got worse every which way :/
Keep in mind that they're now TPG owned through IINET, and very likely using TPG backhaul. 

I'm actually wondering if this is a mis-measurement, rather than a real improvement...it sounds a bit implausible to me :)
Well, AC and tracert pings are definitely better with the VPN (roughly halved).
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »

Well, AC and tracert pings are definitely better with the VPN (roughly halved).

Must be true then. Awesome!

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal