Xtreme Gaming Network

Need a laptop for my daughter...

Author Topic: Need a laptop for my daughter...  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Need a laptop for my daughter...
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »
Well my daughter's laptop, my old gaming laptop... has finally given up the ghost!

I need to purchase a replacement, although I would like to purchase her a Macbook Pro, I don't think my budget will stretch to that generous a purchase...

It is for home use, no gaming, just general use for a young family, and info appreciated.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Need a laptop for my daughter...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:17:29 PM »
There are no good "office" laptops nowadays.  I'm still on my old Samsung 900x, beats all the new ones.  I dread the day I have to replace it.

Unless you want touch screen and detachable keyboards - and all the happiness of a windows 10 enviro.  My business partner is dealing with all that "joy" daily.   It's ugly.  The other day his lappy did not want to work.  After about 5 restarts it has started working, but it was still coughing today.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
thanks Istvan, I have found a laptop with respectable specs and Windows 8 and viewing Dell have some  at about the same price due t 15% off...

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
I have a Dell XPS 15 for work and it's pretty good. I still think my best laptop was my MSI gaming one. Win10 is fine, better than Win8, people just like to have a moan.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
thanks Istvan, I have found a laptop with respectable specs and Windows 8 and viewing Dell have some  at about the same price due t 15% off...

Get Win10.  Win 8 is like a 16 year old virgin at a brothel - it's the practice run to get everything right.

I personally find Win10 fine now.  I recently got a laptop for my computer iliterate mum who moved from WinXP (!!!) to Win10 and she is fine with it.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »
I'm with them, if it's a choice between win8 & 10, go for 10.  Sorry for the miscommunication on that one!

If you can get win7 (won't get that on a new one) - well, that's more stable and you can simply disable the auto-updates, they aren't pushed on you. 

I've had a dell laptop before and I was disappointed.  I gave it away after a couple of years.   The samsung was (is) superior in every way; looks, size, weight, battery, performance - you name it.  But it could be that I've bought the wrong dell :)  Sadly not available anymore.

But what's worse - as I said - last we've had to look for a laptop for colleagues, we could not find anything that could stand up to this samsung one (for prolonged office use).

Edit: wrt win10 many people will loudly declare that it's perfectly good.  But if you read around on the net, there are just too many people who have less than optimal experiences with it - essentially an auto-update breaks their laptop.  This is what happened to us.   Many lost work hours - luckily it somehow has righted itself by the next day.   So keep a backup of your work off the lappy in any case.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:19:45 PM by Bird »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »

Get Win10.  Win 8 is like a 16 year old virgin at a brothel - it's the practice run to get everything right.

I personally find Win10 fine now.  I recently got a laptop for my computer iliterate mum who moved from WinXP (!!!) to Win10 and she is fine with it.
thanks GB, I have found a Dell on 20% discount with free shipping, so just purchased it for my daughter a few minutes ago, it has Windows 10,  she is a geek/mathematician who hates computers, I let her sort it out! :) 

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
I asked my daughter what she "needed", the Dell will fit fine for her limited use.
She has been persevering with my old Dell with a missing "D" pad, she will be happy with a full, working keyboard! :)
Thanks for all the info.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal