Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 1: Imola Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 1: Imola Race Chat  (Read 44529 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Round 1: Imola Race Chat
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »
As usual, here's a pre- and post-race chat thread.

Let me start off with a warning; check your pedals. :)
Why? 
How  much time do you think a spiking pedal is worth?   How about a spiking clutch?

I've been running slower and slower lately - including the other night together, I could not get near my pb let alone under it.  Today I've loaded it up and noticed I can't hit 204 on at the s/f line, which was usual before, only about 200...weird.  No matter how well I've tried.  Frustrated as hell, I've run a few laps, but could not get below 2.02.    Fark me that's nearly 3s off my pb (59.2 it was).

At this point I've gotten suspicious.  I've put the "pedals" app up, and noticed that there's a tiny bit of movement on the clutch input, Really small, but as it seems quite significant.   I've put a hefty deadzone on the pedal, went back...and within 5 laps produced a 58.6.

So all in all that little spiking has cost me a good 3 seconds indeed.  I've now hit 207km/h at the s/f line.  Amazing.

Other lesson; the basic Fanatec pedal isn't that much better than the old A1 set after all - it was spiking too, but it was doing it after long years of service.

Anyways, happy with the time.  Btw, Marty, you don't seem to be up there - or is it just me?  Look me up on steam (ysu) and add me as a friend, will you? 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:09:25 PM by Glen73 »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Season 1 Race 1 chat
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
Did my accelerator pot yesterday, first drive today, 59.4 so yes, check pedal graph everyone.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
One strange thing I've noticed is that when I race against the AI, with my same setup, I'm about 1.5 to 2 seconds off my PB pace, even when I'm on clear track all by myself. It's as if I just can't go as fast in race mode as I can in hotlap mode, with the same setup. I wonder of there's something slightly different in hotlap mode?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
One strange thing I've noticed is that when I race against the AI, with my same setup, I'm about 1.5 to 2 seconds off my PB pace, even when I'm on clear track all by myself. It's as if I just can't go as fast in race mode as I can in hotlap mode, with the same setup. I wonder of there's something slightly different in hotlap mode?

This is something I have noticed as well, on the server with the boys the other night I was 2 seconds off PB, I think it is not having the ghost car around....

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »
I don't think there's tyre wear in hotlap mode, maybe this makes a difference.

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »
That would explain it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:59:54 PM »
Thanks Bird will check mine as for some reason I can barely get within 2 sec of my PB atm too, just ran quite a long session in the practice server and needed a great lap to get under 2 min where I used to do average ones in the low 59's. I hope thats the fault either that or the more practice I do the slower I get lol.

Edit: Bird thanks so much I just noticed my clutch was dragging a little and throttle wasnt quite going 100% either, got back a second easily setting some dead zones. I think AC is killing my gear, and time to upgrade pedals then wheel later.

What do you guys think is a good set price not real issue I just want something good but not needing full pro setup so dont want to spend silly money that may be later on a wheel lol. Bird said the fanetech pedals are real good would these be the best bet or is there something else I should also consider thanks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:17:07 PM by marty »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
err...I need to emphasise that what I as said is that they seem to be better than my old A1 set.  They have just proven to become a tad spikey after less than half a year.  That's not a good sign.   
Altho these are the absolute basic pedals.  Maybe the one up ($200 I think) are better.

p.s. happy to hear that I've helped others, too, with that warning! :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:58:53 PM by Bird »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »

There is but I think you can turn it off.

I did a bunch of laps on the softs in hotlap mode and was not getting anywhere near the grip of when i started the stint.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »

There is but I think you can turn it off.

I did a bunch of laps on the softs in hotlap mode and was not getting anywhere near the grip of when i started the stint.

Tyre wear is on in any mode as long as you dont disable it, sadly there is also a bug that in mp whatever settings someone sets in SP mode is also what they get in MP. So if someone were to turn off wear and fuel this would also be the case in an mp session, I have no idea if the server sets temps either atm.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
At the moment, the server config is very basic and you can't really set much at all.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »
I think everyone is honest enough to keep tyre wear on aren't they?

On another note, I'm having an issue when I enter a server I seem to be dropping frames compared to SP.  I've reduced a few settings but there is still an issue.

The strange thing is that I have a 60Hz monitor so 60 FPS should be the max I see, but when my AC frame rate app drops from 100 to 70 the game seems to chug a lot and this only happens online.  Just wondering whether it could be some v-sync setting, or frame-rate limiter or something?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »
I doubt it's any kind of visual setting. The game might be delayed a little by getting updates from the server online. The pracrtice server I set up is just a free, low spec server, but since we've raced on such low spec servers with up to 16 people, I doubt it's an issue when there's only a couple of guys on the server at once.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
Ok guys, being a newb I have a newb question about damage.
  I know it's not implemented yet and I'm looking forward to it. I really hope there is a awesome damage model with heaps of soft damage. Just adds to the realism.

I want to know if the damage model will be 'real'? Like you tap a wall even slightly your race is over. Just like the real thing.
Like a lot of the 1st corner crashes would really take half the field out.
I expect the damage model to show no mercy.

How does it work in other SIMs?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 09:34:07 AM »
Ok guys, being a newb I have a newb question about damage.
  I know it's not implemented yet and I'm looking forward to it. I really hope there is a awesome damage model with heaps of soft damage. Just adds to the realism.

I want to know if the damage model will be 'real'? Like you tap a wall even slightly your race is over. Just like the real thing.
Like a lot of the 1st corner crashes would really take half the field out.
I expect the damage model to show no mercy.

How does it work in other SIMs?

You can usually specify a damage percentage, so 0% is all damage off, 100% damage is race wrecking, 50% reduces the effects of damage etc. I have no idea how AC will do it though. I'm looking forward to damage too, especially mechanical damage if you abuse the gearbox or engine, for example, to force you to drive more realistically. The downside of damage though is that you can get punted into a wall by someone else and lose a wheel, for example, race over, just like the real thing. But who wants to import the painful parts of real life into a game? It adds to realism, sure, but you have to balance it with the fun factor.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal