Xtreme Gaming Network

My track day vids

Author Topic: My track day vids  (Read 39914 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: My track day vids
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 08:51:58 AM »
Hey guys, new bunch of vids, Eastern Creek run the other day.  Tyres were still stock, but the car has a header + tune.  It's faster!

Best lap

m4 trying to leave me behind

white car is no slouch, but...

traffic!

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
Very cool Bird
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »
Nice work Bird.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »
very nice vids, did you run the car there in it's original format, to compare the upgrade performance?
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »
Thanks guys :)

very nice vids, did you run the car there in it's original format, to compare the upgrade performance?
No, sadly not.  I have wakefield laps and some quarter mile times - will use the latter for a direct comparison.  But we'll have to organise a drag day with the mates for that, first.  And everyone is busy...

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
Love the vids.

Tell me, how long does it take to warm the tyres up on that?

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
Thanks for the vids, Bird... I am a bit too envious too fully enjoy them, but it's cool to watch them ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »
Love the vids.

Tell me, how long does it take to warm the tyres up on that?

These are still the stock street tyres.  They don't warm up so much as overheat...I could feel it acutely in the braking zones, and to some extent in the corners as well after a couple of hard laps.  I've overshot T2 the first time due to this.  It's still a fairly fast approach, at around 140km/h and on the first couple of laps I could comfortably start braking at the 100m mark (just before actually)...not on the 3rd lap though.  I've kept it on the black stuff, but just.   A good 10m extra was required to pull it up.

But for the next run on the 22nd I've got my Nitto NT01 semi slicks lined up, getting it mounted over the weekend.

Grat; as you can see pretty much anyone with any car can participate (Altho I'd very strongly advise a brake fluid & maybe a brake pad upgrade).
So just grab a helmet, buy an ARDC membership ($80 iirc), then you get 2 half priced trackdays at EC @ $170.   Fill it up, and drive! ;)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 08:16:45 PM »
Grat; as you can see pretty much anyone with any car can participate (Altho I'd very strongly advise a brake fluid & maybe a brake pad upgrade).
So just grab a helmet, buy an ARDC membership ($80 iirc), then you get 2 half priced trackdays at EC @ $170.   Fill it up, and drive! ;)
Eheheh, I am too scared to do it with my only car. Maybe one day I should get my hands on a used rwd car and try. Who knows? The only thing I already have is a helmet (I drive an old scooter in the city any now and then).

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 09:35:33 PM »
Good stuff Bird. What's the deal with passing - not allowed?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »

The rule here was:
no passing except on the main straight before the end of the grandstand, unless the guy in front waves you past.  It was the same at Wakefield Park.  This is for the beginner groups, mind you.

So that overtake on the white car might have been a bit "illegal" - but they don't take the rules that seriously, otherwise I'd have been called off for a chat.  I did a couple of such overtakes in the later sessions, where I deemed it 100% safe, even if I wasn't waved past - where I had a decent speed difference, well before the corner.

In that first session I was pretty sure no-one knew if they were a boy or a girl, let alone navigate traffic so I didn't try anything funny.  I remember the first time out at Wakefield, it wasn't that long ago ;)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:05:53 PM by Bird »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
The days I have participated in have a blanket rule: "no overtaking on turns", and just as well the old Holden would be holding a lot of cars back to 160klms!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
I can't get over how much slower it appears in the videos compared to real life. I guess that's the same with AC.

I'd imagine it feels a hell of a lot faster out on track?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
I can't get over how much slower it appears in the videos compared to real life. I guess that's the same with AC.

I'd imagine it feels a hell of a lot faster out on track?

First it does, then funnily I actually fall back into "racing" mode and I don't even notice that I'm approaching the 1st corner at 190.  It still feels faster I guess, but I don't really  notice it.  I guess the sim experience has prepared me quite a bit.   

Except when you're cornering hard, you can feel every bit of it, and the road, too.  When the car lurches or slides a bit, it's a very different experience. 
I tells ya, first time when I went a bit too hot into T1 (just a tiny bit) and the car started sliding a bit at 150...my sphincter has constricted considerably.  But the car just went a bit wider there, with the lost speed I was in no danger of running wide at all. I think I had a lot to play with, still.  But I didn't dare pushing - the grass was still wet, and it's like a skating rink to go out there.  A few of the race cars have tested the grass, all ended up in the wall.  Man, a broken ferrari is a sad sight...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal