Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 4 thoughts

Author Topic: Season 4 thoughts  (Read 38282 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Season 4 thoughts
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Here's what I'm considering for season 4, up for comment.

Cars

Using all of the GT-type cars in the other car timing thread and allocating them handicap-wise like this Lotus season. I've averaged the RSR world records (in AC 22.9 or later) over 7 tracks, and come up with the following percentage differences (fastest to slowest):

M3 GT20
458 GT20.3
Z4 GT30.5
MP4-12C GT30.5
P4/51.1
SLS GT31.9
Evora GTC2.7
Evora GX3.9

There's not much in the top 4 cars. I'll probably drop the Mclaren as being too close to the BMW Z4 GT3, because it has a bad fuel rate (see below).

Race Format

Race 1: 15 minute sprint

Race 2: 45 minute race, with 4x tyre wear and 3x fuel rate. This means all cars will need to pit once, for fuel and tyres. I've tested fuel rates in all of the cars, as there's a bit of variation. Hard slicks go down to a minimum wear figure of 88. This is approximately lap 17 out of 25 (again, varies from car to car). The P4/5 and the GT2 cars have super-soft and super-hard tyre options, but the super-hards also wear down to 88, the same as the other cars' hards.

FYI, at this fuel rate, this is how many laps each car gets out of a full tank at Imola, which would be a 25 lap race:

M3 GT214.8
458 GT214.5
MP12-4C GT313.6
Z4 GT314.7
P4/514.8
SLS GT319.7
Evora GTC16.3
Evora GX20.3
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Season 4 thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:33:31 PM »
Wow, you've been working hard at this!
Well done!

At a first glance it seems nice, but we may need a much faster - and/or a much slower car - to cater for the extremes?
That 4s diff is over a 100s again isn't it?   I think we have more spread in our field...but I maybe wrong.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
Wow, you've been working hard at this!
Well done!

At a first glance it seems nice, but we may need a much faster - and/or a much slower car - to cater for the extremes?
That 4s diff is over a 100s again isn't it?   I think we have more spread in our field...but I maybe wrong.

Yeah, been fiddling a bit. It's such a chore to drive these cars around ;)
That 4 secs is over 100, so at Spa, for example, that equates to over an 8 second gap. Imola is about a 100 second lap. You're probably right... I expect in these cars, the spread will be even greater than in the Lotus road cars. The Zonda and Ferrari 599 are too fast though... 3 seconds faster than the current fastest, the M3, over 100 secs. That's too big a gap. This is about the spread of similar cars with similar tyre choices.

Actually, the Zonda and Ferrari 599 might work:

Zonda0
Ferrari5991.1
M3 GT22.9
458 GT23.2
Z4 GT33.5
P4/54.1
SLS GT34.8
Evora GTC5.7
Evora GX6.9
I have to check the fuel situation of the Zonda and Ferrari 599 though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:25:02 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »
Aren't the Lotusessess totally different classes? Do they have the same tyre selections?

Good work as usually Mr Wally!

Let the conjecture begin!

Question...
are next seasons races going to be longer?
Edit, right got it. 25 laps at Imola is an example?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:30:19 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »

There's not much in the top 4 cars. I'll probably drop the Mclaren as being too close to the BMW Z4 GT3, because it has a bad fuel rate (see

But I've got such awesome skins going on for the McLaren! lol

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »
Aren't the Lotusessess totally different classes? Do they have the same tyre selections?

Good work as usually Mr Wally!

Let the conjecture begin!

Question...
are next seasons races going to be longer?

The Lotuses are a different class, but they have the same tyre choices. Most importantly, their lap times are kind of "in class".

Yep, I said above, a 15 min sprint and then a 45 min race (with qualifying) and a PIT STOP. Same overall duration as the current season (as we do away with one qualifying session).

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »

There's not much in the top 4 cars. I'll probably drop the Mclaren as being too close to the BMW Z4 GT3, because it has a bad fuel rate (see

Cut 'n' paste them to the Beemer :)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »

Cut 'n' paste them to the Beemer :)

Those swatches running down the back might not match up lol. The McLaren is nicer to handle then the BMW. But the BMW sounds nicer..

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »
Yep, I said above, a 15 min sprint and then a 45 min race (with qualifying) and a PIT STOP. Same overall duration as the current season (as we do away with one qualifying session).

It would be nice to find that sweet spot where 1 pit stop is mandatory and you might need to take another if you are hard on your tyres. or desperately hang on for those last 4-5 laps with -90% tyres.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »

It would be nice to find that sweet spot where 1 pit stop is mandatory and you might need to take another if you are hard on your tyres. or desperately hang on for those last 4-5 laps with -90% tyres.

I did fiddle with the pitstop strategies at different fuel multipliers, but you always end up with some condition where some cars can do it in 2 stops and some need 3, for example. One stop each was the only fair combo I could find.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
I think its best to stick to GT cars and no hypercars, they may be closeish on laptimes but are done very differently to the gt cars. Much higher straight line speeds and lots slower in the corners. Ferrari GT2 WR has a top speed of 260kmh at Spa vs 299kmh in the 599 and 309kmh in the Zonda.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 12:15:26 AM »
That could make it quite entertaining though!

Offline Schmittez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:46 AM »
Having the hyper cars mixed in with the GT cars would give the same effect as having the M3 e92 racing with the Elise SC, yes the lap times are the same but it makes having really close racing harder because its just either some one flying past on the straight or out braking and round the corner a lot faster.

Personally I have had a lot more fun racing the other guys (Marty, Ed, Guy, etc) in the GT cars even tho I am a bit slower it is more enjoyable than having cars that can do the same lap times but achieve that in different ways which is what currently happens in the Lotus BMW series.

just my 2c on the matter.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »
I think having the hyper cars and GT cars would be different to current series.   At the moment the cars with the lower top speed are faster,  so the quicker guys get these cars but get stuck behind slower guys in a race because it's difficult to pass in a corner.   Where as with the hyper and GT cars the quicker guys would be in the cars with the higher top speed so it would be more of a challenge to take a corner perfectly to line up a pass on the straight.

Having said that I think if you threw the La Fez in there it would be a road block and cause incidents as you have to brake in that twice as early as the GT cars and slow down into corners a lot more.   I'd look at the Zonda and 599.

Or perhaps just have a separate Hyper car series?  It won't be long and we'll be having to come back to the same cars we've used before,  so maybe it's best to stretch it out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:18:08 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »
You can always put them up on a server for a test but I cant see the racing being too good with hypercars mixed in. Its a much bigger difference then an elise and m3e92. Also the faster guys will be in an Evora gt with the slower guys in the hypercars which are quicker around all tracks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal