Xtreme Gaming Network

S8R2: Zandvoort post-race chat

Author Topic: S8R2: Zandvoort post-race chat  (Read 14885 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« on: August 18, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »
RACE RESULTS AND CHARTS

SEASON STANDINGS

SEASON STATS

Penalties
Penalties are given for careless accidents in turns 1 and 2 of each race.
Race 1: Joe(-2) for running into the rear of Bafs17. It looked like Bafs17 may have been braking a little early to avoid a mishap ahead of him, so Joe only lost 2 points instead of 4. Bafs17 wasn't disadvantaged by the accident, so gets no bonus points.

Race 2: Marty (-8) for running into the rear of Jeremy (+8). It could almost have been a racing incident except Marty was behind Jeremy and the move was too ambitious for the opening corners of the opening lap.

Round Points
Matthew111   73
Jeremy   68
Simone   64
Grat   61
Rolz   61
Marty   53
Gratulin   52
StanDaam   51
Bacchulum   46
Skaife   43
Bafs17   40
Wally   36
Grubbet   34
Phil.8   34
Rob   33
Phil   31
Freezer   27
Chap111   25
Joe   23
Imperious   6

Congratulations to Matthew111on the clean sweep: the round win, as well as both race wins.

Season Podium
1. Matthew111, 73 pts
2. Guybrush Threepwood, 71 pts
3. Jeremy, 68 pts

Struggle Street Racing Crew take the lead from Achilles Heels in the teams' championship by 9 points.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:03:25 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S8R2: Zandvoort post-race chat
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »
Urgh pretty terrible night for me.

Race 1 gave somebody a tap in turn 2, didn't see who, red car, Gratulin or Bafs? Anyway, sorry! That left me with pretty bad aero damage which I didn't bother fixing, then spun of several more times due to that, came last I think. Note to self, just fix it!

Race 2 got tangled up in the turn 2 chaos and got aero damage again which I repaired at lap 9 pitstop only to come out of the pits and spin and damage the front. Was in last for quite a while but found my rhythm and put in a few ok laps which got me closer to Chap who made a few mistakes and I got past.

Really not enjoying the GX, which is why I chose it first and I look forward to getting my ABS in the GTC. By lap 8/9 with flat spots the car just won't turn in at all.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
wish they would fix the fuel calculations
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:42:42 PM »
Race 1 I got lucky as a couple guys ahead got into trouble, Matthew had me for pace and I was just trying to hold off Phil who was on softs in the GX.

Race 2 unfortunately came together with Jeremy at the start, there was only a slight overlap but Jeremy thought he was clear and hit my nose which spun him. I did redress and this put us last and 2nd last early. Was fun battling through the field there but I was in the wrong place behind Phil as he spun in front of me then I hit him for more front damage and then I think freezer spun a few laps later and the 2 cars ahead of me hit him and the track was pretty much blocked. I tried to stop but didn't make it finishing what was left of my front wing.

I stopped at the end of lap 8 for repairs, hards and a full tank. Car was quite good the first 7 laps but then the tyres went away big time over the last 2 laps. Jeremy came from nowhere at the end as he stopped twice and was flying so I ended up 6th I think.

Well done to Matthew, bad luck to Jeremy as he got hit early in both races. Quite a few guys had some pace tonight and I didn't quite have the confidence in the car with the lower grip levels. Felt more comfortable at the end of the 2nd race but needed to back off a little to make sure I kept it on the track. My lower aero setup for higher grip levels had no hope and so I needed to change things up a little in the 30 minutes before the first qualy.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 11:05:50 PM »
Results in the first post. The results now also show contacts (as reported by the server), with more details when you click on a driver name.

I bumped up the aero a little for the slippery conditions, and the car didn't feel too bad, although I may have lost a little top speed.

Race 1 didn't start too well. I got a side-by-side tap with Gratulin as I moved over into him and went off onto the grass. Then in the hairpin, I overcooked it and oversteered off the track, so lost a bunch of early spots. But I regained a few positions, and then had a good chase of Phil for several laps before I finally managed to get inside on the fast right hander coming down the hill from the "wiggly bumpy bit". I guess his tyres were going off.

The car felt a little bit understeery though, so in between races I lowered the front rollbar 1 click. The car turned better, but also felt a bit taily and loose, which Skaife no doubt saw quite a few times on my rear bumper. But I generally held it together.  I went hards, but they were pretty rubbish by about half way through the race, so I pitted for new tyres and guessed at the fuel. I guessed half a lap short, so I had to do a splash-and-dash on the final lap just to put a few litres of fuel in, and lost a couple of spots to Rob and Grubbet in the process.

And PS, race 1 was my 100th Tuesday night AC race here :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:13:14 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 11:38:23 PM »
I had done a bit of practice and felt my setup was decent.  Qualified 10th for both races so that was ok.
Race 1. Kept it pretty clean but did slide back two spots during the race.
Race 2.  My car was crap!  3-4 laps in the front tyres are shot, it wont stop or turn in and was like driving a boat.
I quick re adjustment of strategy saw me pit early for a new set of hards and fuel.  This helped but again with about 3 laps to run the fronts were screaming out as I again slipped into the two minute lap window.  Trundled around in last with no joy!!

Rolz

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 07:40:14 AM »
Didn't have enough practice with low track grip so I pretty well just guessed off my perfect track setup and upped aero to 1 on the nose and 3 on the rear. Hoped this would do. Wasn't way off the pace, but was solid middle ground.

R1 - Started 8th, just not much room around the track so it was try to be softly softly blend in and then work from there. Lack of grip and over keen saw me drop down to 11th and then fight it back. Happy to get 6th, but should have been better if I hadn't lost concentration early on.

R2 - Started 7th, same again first 2 corners are just tough and tight, push but be prepared to consolidate a position if there isn't going to be room... wait for the next corner to press again... dodged the Marty Jeremy bingle and then got some fresh air into 4th. Couldn't catch Simone, better skillz had him constantly pull better lap times than me. Was a pretty lonely race and had to just make sure I didn't drop concentration. Happy to be gifted spot.

Lack of grip was challenging, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it!
(Good night result obviously helped too)

;D

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:04:39 AM »
This was a great day for our new team. I risked to jeopardize everything with a very bad race 1, but finally we got our first podium on race 2, and with Rolz coming in 4th, we made our sponsor smile and our supporters here in Holland quite happy, which is what matters most to us.

We were fast throughout the weekend, and we showed it already in practice.

RACE1: I did not quite have Struggle Street's speed in quali, but managed to secure a third spot on the grid. Start was ok and I set myself behind Jeremy. With Marty's threat quite close behind, the plan was to be clean and try to keep up with Struggle Street and hope that Marty's low-aero setup would have consumed his tyres before he could attack. At the end of lap 1 I see that Marty's setup does not have an advantage on me on the straight, so I get all optimistic that a podium is feasible. I am not sure I can see well the white line that I use as referral for the braking at Tarzan, so I move a little on the right to have a better visual. Then suddenly I realize that Jeremy is already braking. I slammed the brake, but it's all too late. We touch and we both lose a lot of positions. Such a shame. Sorry Jeremy.

I set up for a chase, and now my late braking point at Tarzan becomes useful instead of damaging, as I recover a few places. But the race is tough, and Rolz and I come to contact at the braking for the chicane (not sure what happened there, but sponsors are happy as the replay was showed multiple times in tv). At one point I get tangled in a 4 cars battle at the hairpin (T3?) and come to contact with Freezer. Probably my fault: I was on the outside and I can't see where he is very well, so probably I squeezed him a bit. We both managed to come out of the corner safe, though. But at this point I start to have some serious damages and I spin at the last turn losing a position.

Apologies also to Bacchulum for a little bump coming in the last corner. Thankfully he managed to stay on track and I could redress. Finally in the last lap I actually pull an amzing pass on the outside of the last chicane on Bacchulum. Great (tough but fair) racing between us there. The only consolation of a crappy race.

RACE 2: quali very similar to race 1. I am sure I had .5 of a sec in me (race laps were faster than quali) but I was probably still a little sad about first race. This time the start is great and I gain a position to Jeremy before Tarzan. At this point I just want to take the podium home. After lap 1 I see Jeremy and Marty are not there anymore and there is Simone who seems to lap like me, so I just try to keep a good pace behind Matthew, who I suppose to be faster than I am. Instead, with great surprise, I seem to follow him pretty well, and on lap 3 (?) he makes a mistake at the chicane and I find myself in his draft on the straight. Remembering what happened with Jeremy, I decide to take the inside, more to avoid contact than to actually attack. But again he brakes much earlier, and I am actually inside at the apex, but not very clean. I am really scared of a contact, but he looks like he is even more scared than I am. Conclusion: we both do the corner at like 3km/h and come out on the other side the same way we got in. But now I have the confidence I could attack him, so I try to stay close, until his ping jumps by 30ms and warps at Sheivlak! That's too much for my coronaries, so I just put myself at around 1.5 seconds from him and start thinking about an undercut on lap 8. But since nobody has pitted behind me, I fear I'll get in traffic, and so I just copy Matthew, and we basically run the last 10 laps in tandem.

It was tense, and a bit scary. But a great satisfaction. Thank you, Wally! Again: apologies to Jeremy, Freezer, and Bacchulum for race 1.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
Great racing night with XGN crazy ppl   lololo  :-*
I have to say i was about not to sign for the season(i am busy playing my electric bass in my spare time 8)) but then i jumped in the GTC and yea....WOW!!  I thought it could be fun with it.
Approaching the scheivlak corner flatout in 6th is very very fun(for me) and it was the best corner for the night,while the bocht 10 gave me some crap...heeheee in the end i decided to take it in 3rd gear also to save some tyres.
Race1 was good,i had rolz(i think behind me ) but then the last time i saw him was in my mirror and he was on the pit sand :o
Jeremy was getting hot and i defended well but then braking entering tarzan he spun me around and very kindly re address(thx Jeremy).For sure  he did not give up and finally passed me nicely entering Hans Ernst corner.Now he had stan to pass and in the battle i got closer and i could stay with them easily,so i said to myself maybe something bad will happen and infact it did happend when they crash to each other giving me the chance to take home a well deserved 5th place.....terrific race!!

Race 2 was also tough but less intense not much happening but i did not make too many mistake and try to be consistent was my goal,,,,extemely happy for a podium place,,,,,FUN!!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:12:13 AM by Simone »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:19:53 AM »
I'm pretty pleased with how I went last night. Especially after last season where I barely finished any races. My approach last night was to go conservative and aim for making it to the end in one piece. I picked up two top ten finishes which was a real bonus.

Race 1: I had some good close racing with Bacchulum until he got the wobbles coming into the start/finish straight and I managed to get past. There seemed to be a constant parade of quicker drivers who somehow had ended behind me. My plan was to make sure I let them through without getting hit - they can be a a bit wayward at time ;) - but without losing any time myself. Always a challenge!

Race 2: I don't understand ballast - how come I got more ballast and yet qualified better? I think some switched to Hards and changed setups for extra tyre wear and so needed longer practice? Again, in keeping with my new 'finish at all costs' approach I stuck to default setup with just a minor reduction in aero and medium tyres. I filled the tank and ran two 9-lap stints. Seems to me the pitstop is quicker and easier when you just hit the Fill button and you don't search for which tyres to put on. I also ignored tyre wear (don't run any Python apps except PLP) thus avoiding any tyre degradation issues since I didn't know whether they were worn or not :D Had some great battles throughout the race with various drivers - some really close clean racing which was excellent fun. Only driver who was a bit scary was Freezer. As per his race comments above he was dangerous to be near in the second race :)

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »
Did some productive testing leading up to this race which was a first and worked a treat lol car was awesome around here coming a long from the imola round.

Race1: Got off to a good start and we had the team cars running 1 2 with the new team look which was cool. I was managing the pace with jeremy until he got caught up with grat from there i had a bit of a buffer to marty and just managed that to the end slowly building up for the win :)

Race 2: Got another good start leading into t1 and watched the competition fance each other lol and now had a 2 sec gap to grat which i set on managing to look after the car but on lap 3 i went into a daze and missed my brake marker into the little chicane towards the end and went a little wide allowing grat to be right on my tail and he had good pace to attack too having a go into t1 but i was confident id be able to fend him off in the following turns which i did but he tucked back in anyway, there was a bit of lag issue for a few laps which was a shame because i felt grat could of had more of a go but that allowed me to slowly put a small gap on him which lasted to the end of the race, but wasnt easy as we were both pushing pretty hard to the end, a good fast pressure race!
do you even motorsports?

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Tough night for the Golden Goats...
Started off badly, tweaking with the track, then after Wally found the fix I thought, right I'll just delete all that mess and start fresh... forgetting that the OSRW file was a patch not the actual track... ahhh well, finally get in the server...
Race 1 was ok, just not much pace for me. Had some good battles with Simone n Jeremy  :D
Race 2 was a bit more of a struggle. Ended up in 5th after the Marty n Jeremy coming together, then just tried to hang on till the end. Always enjoy sparing with Gratulin and he was my main opposition for most of the race. He got me... :o
Like Joe said, I too miss my ABS and traction control, we of the golden goat land are used to the finer things in life  8)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
Here are the replays of both races from last nite, Matthew or Jeremy asked for them but for some reason my upload failed then but should be ok now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/anu8g2jxd5b2anp/replay.rar

Regarding my incident with Jeremy, I think -8 points is a bit harsh considering I had also redressed and went to the back of the field. Seeing I wont be doing the full season either as I will be away after next week its not going to make much difference to me anyway so points don't matter much. But I was holding my line plus waited for the entire field to pass me in the redress as Jeremy was at the back so also losing 8 points seems a bit harsh. Considering I thought the main issue was with people changing lanes at the first few corners causing collisions and I even had to go over the kerb to try and avoid the collision of the other car wanting my lane so I don't think there was much more I really could have done as I left lots of room through the entire section.

[youtube]8buO4j06IDw[/youtube]
[youtube]u3agwRz3FbY[/youtube]

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
As I said, if it was after the opening few corners, I would have just called it an ”aggressive move”. The penalty is only because it was in the opening corners of the first lap. Jeremy had got passed you on the left, so you should have backed off and conceded the next corner, in my opinion.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »
Marty: the second youtube video does not work to me (it says it's "private," so I guess it is probably you naked... but maybe it has to do with assetto corsa somehow).

Wally: perhaps we could suggest that contacts in the first 2 corners are not expected to be redressed if this means losing multiple positions. It is a bit too much in some cases.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal