Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R7: Spa Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R7: Spa Post-Race Chat  (Read 19301 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S10R7: Spa Post-Race Chat
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:13:07 PM »
RACE RESULTS (also includes contact report)

No penalties.

An observation about the race 2 start: Simone hit the side of Christopheraser because Simone didn't stay on his side of the track at T1, moving across to the left of the track.

Round Points

Guybrush Threepwood1275
Matthew1111563
Phil.81053
Bird445
Paul838
Freezer324
Marty230
StanDaam018
Grat627
Wally121
Jeremy515
Bacchulum014
Mael012
Bafs17011
Rob08
Simone09
christopheraser05
Ben06
Gratulin03
Flattop01
AJ00
Chap11100
Dave O00
Doobs00
Fozzy00
Grubbet00
Jake00
Joe00
Rolz00
Will00

Congratulations to Guybrush on the race wins and the overall round win.

Season Podium
1. Guybrush, 909
2. Marty, 716
3. Matthew, 655
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:06:57 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: S10R7: Spa Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:34:08 PM »
There didn't seem to be any first corner incidents so that's a start!

Offline paul_wallace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »
Good race tonight :) both Bird and Freezer managed to get me the same way on the same corner :) damn GTR's. Heaps of people had good pace today, I couldn't match a lot of you.

As for race 2, I gave Marty a small tap at an awkward moment which gave him a PLP penalty warning, even though he would have had no choice nor was it really a cut, more of a going wide into some astroturf, losing time if anything. If that was the cause for his 10 second penalty I would be ok with me taking the penalty instead or switching our finishing positions. Doesn't seem right if he gets penalised for my mistake :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:44:38 PM »
I think everything went fine with the starts. That is good.

Unfortunately the grat-jeremy epic continues. :( I am really sorry for Jeremy in race 1. I think he hit the curb inside blanchimont and slowed down, but the strange thing is that I did what I could to avoid hitting him and I was sure I did, as there was no contact on my screen (I mean, damages). But his car moves exactly as if I hit him (mine goes absolutely straight). From my replay, there is surely no contact... I don't know: really strange.

I can post a link to my replay if some of you wants to see if it is a ping issue or whatever else (and if I find my  usb-drive)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:48:44 PM by grat »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »
And indeed the contact report shows a contact for Jeremy but not one for me (see also race results tables). This is strange. So in some cases only one of the cars has a contact?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:04:59 PM »
As for race 2, I gave Marty a small tap at an awkward moment which gave him a PLP penalty warning, even though he would have had no choice nor was it really a cut, more of a going wide into some astroturf, losing time if anything. If that was the cause for his 10 second penalty I would be ok with me taking the penalty instead or switching our finishing positions. Doesn't seem right if he gets penalised for my mistake :)

I looked at that in the replay, and yes, that was not Marty's fault so I have reversed the 10 second penalty. I've updated the season standings, but not the race results. Marty actually finished 8th now in race 2.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 11:11:22 PM »

Unfortunately the grat-jeremy epic continues. :( I am really sorry for Jeremy in race 1. I think he hit the curb inside blanchimont and slowed down, but the strange thing is that I did what I could to avoid hitting him and I was sure I did, as there was no contact on my screen (I mean, damages). But his car moves exactly as if I hit him (mine goes absolutely straight). From my replay, there is surely no contact... I don't know: really strange.

I can post a link to my replay if some of you wants to see if it is a ping issue or whatever else (and if I find my  usb-drive)
I looked at that too (the new contact report makes these things easy to find now).
In race 1, it looked like Grat just ran straight into the back of Jeremy.
In race 2, I saw it that Grat and Jeremy both came out of the final corner side by side, by Jeremy didn't leave enough racing room to his right, and squeezed across into Grat, spinning him.

The contact reports in the server logs are mysterious. All they really tell you is where an incident happened and between who - then you have to look at the replay to see what really happened.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 11:17:54 PM »

I looked at that too (the new contact report makes these things easy to find now).
In race 2, I saw it that Grat and Jeremy both came out of the final corner side by side, by Jeremy didn't leave enough racing room to his right, and squeezed across into Grat, spinning him.

The contact reports in the server logs are mysterious. All they really tell you is where an incident happened and between who - then you have to look at the replay to see what really happened.

Thanks Wally. But please have a look at my replay. That is how I can see, and I manage to avoid him completely. I am on my line at Blanchimont (which for me is flat out no matter what) and he slows down because he touches the inside curb. At that point I lift and brake and swerve to the right. I looked at it from all corners and slowed down to 12x. There is absolutely no contact and my car does not react whatsoever to any contact. I am not making a polemic here of any sort, of course. I just want to understand if what is going on is that the code for contacts being local, small differences in ping can make so that one local run sees a contact while the other does not (and hence the differences in the contacts log explained!)

I am sure that if we compare my replay and Jeremy's one, they will look different. There will be clearly a contact in his one and clearly no contact in my one. That is why each local run decides different things!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 11:17:59 PM »
Does the season standings mean I can't lose the season from here no matter how many people I ram off the road?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 11:18:53 PM »
My races were good. Clean. I have trouble getting the Nissan of the line though. I always bog down badly and lose a few spots straight off the line.

In race 1, I ended up between Freezer and Stan, very slowly closing the gap on Freezer, but I would have needed about 30 more laps to catch him.

Race 2 was again pretty uneventful, finishing between Marty and Bacchulum. I managed to undercut Bacchulum on my pit stop somehow, pitting one lap before him.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 11:21:04 PM »

Thanks Wally. But please have a look at my replay. That is how I can see, and I manage to avoid him completely. I am on my line at Blanchimont (which for me is flat out no matter what) and he slows down because he touches the inside curb. At that point I lift and brake and swerve to the right. I looked at it from all corners and slowed down to 12x. There is absolutely no contact and my car does not react whatsoever to any contact. I am not making a polemic here of any sort, of course. I just want to understand if what is going on is that the code for contacts being local, small differences in ping can make so that one local run sees a contact while the other does not (and hence the differences in the contacts log explained!)

I am sure that if we compare my replay and Jeremy's one, they will look different. There will be clearly a contact in his one and clearly no contact in my one. That is why each local run decides different things!

Yes, it would be interesting to compare the replays. I can't do it now. In my replay, it looked like you just ran into the back of him. Maybe Marty can do a comparison video :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »
Does the season standings mean I can't lose the season from here no matter how many people I ram off the road?
Hmmmm.... 165 points on offer for Marty, none for you and a whole lot of 8 pt penalties.... not sure. It would be close :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 12:17:00 AM »
RACE REPORT:

Quali: was not a clean lap, trying to figure out whether the grip was raising, but it was not a slow lap. 5th sounded pretty good.

Race 1: had a very good start, but remained a bit clogged behind Phil at La Source and had to give way to Freezer entering Eau Rouge. This also meant I had to concede to Bird getting into Les Combes. Result: lost 3 positions. It looked I was a bit faster then the two ahead of me, but had no chances at making a pass, so I tried an undercut at lap 5. Bad idea: came out just behind Jeremy, who was not someone I could pass either. Then the famous crash/non-crash happened (see my other posts). Managed to get a decent rhythm through the traffic, but at this point I had lost another position to Marty. Fortunately I was able to chase and pass Freezer (probably damaged) before my tyres went crap around lap 12 and finished the race trying to match Marty ahead of me (with some success). Ended up in a more than decent 7th position.

Race 2: clean start, and this time I play a bit tougher with Freezer and I don't concede him Les Combes, keeping my 7th position. But I am a bit slow coming out of Campus and he takes me with a spectacular pass at Blanchimont. Man: we really risked there! Had to touch the brake and made it mostly sideways. Anyway: great pass and very good racing. Unfortunately this also meant I was not fast entering Bus Stop and had to defend from Jeremy. I have no replay, but I guess exiting Bus Stop he could not manage to keep it all to the left and we touched and spinned against the wall. The rest of the race was a messy chase with cuts and my wheel finally giving up to the heat and cutting force feedback to like 10% (I hope there is no permanent damage...). I managed to get those 10 seconds I needed ahead of Bafs for 13th.

Marty: if you can do your magics with the replays of race 1 we might discover something interesting about collisions in multiplayer. I think it all boils down to the two PCs disagreeing a little bit about actual positions of the cars. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:18:47 AM by grat »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
Grat, it's a given that two computers time-separated will see a different reality. :)  That's why a really good netcode is really important in these games.

I can report a very happy evening for myself, the two 4th positions were better than I dared to hope for. 

Quali did not go too well, I've lost 3 laps due to cuts, the only remaining wasn't the hottest (it was a second slower than my fastest race lap in R1!)
but it was enough for a 7th position start.

R1 I had some great battles & close & clean racing. 

R2 I was interestingly very fast early on (comparatively speaking) and managed to stick to the top guys, however, after the pit I met Simone and in that little tangle I've lost enough that I was nowhere near anymore.  And with that it seems my concentration has gone out the window as well.    Plus I think the Nissan was actually quite good in slippery conditions here - not *that* good when the grip went up.   

Still, 4th is very good in this strong field :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:13:20 AM by Bird »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal