Xtreme Gaming Network

S11R5: Nurburgring Sprint (GT) post-race chat

Author Topic: S11R5: Nurburgring Sprint (GT) post-race chat  (Read 19318 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S11R5: Nurburgring Sprint (GT) post-race chat
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:06:06 PM »
RACE RESULTS

Clean starts - no penalties.

Round Points
Matthew111    68
Marty    66
Grat    65
Jeremy    65
Bacchulum    54
StanDaam    52
Freezer    50
Mael    50
Phil.8    50
Doobs    45
hylas    44
Bafs17    41
Wally    40
Chap111    39
Rob    31
Vipergod    30
Lan9az    22
Flattop    19
slideways    14

Congratulations to Matthew, Marty and Grat for the race wins, and Matthew for the round win.

Season Podium
1. Marty, 259
2. Matthew, 250
3. Jeremy, 245

Struggle Street Racing Crew have a comfortable team lead, 495 points over Golden Goats 420.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:55:17 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S11R5: Nurburgring Sprint (GT) post-race chat
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:36:55 PM »
Fun racing, race 1 was a great battle with everyone saw some 4 wide stuff that didnt end in tears so good stuff there. I had a real good start but then picked the wrong side to try pass Wally as there was a slower car ahead of him on that side, this meant I needed to lift off quite a bit and I think I lost about 5 spots from that point into the last turn. I then caught back up to the lead pack but it looked fairly angry lol, I saw a bit of rubbing and then a couple cars got into each and so where quite slow exiting the middle hairpin. I had a clear run on the right but they all got together again sending cars each direction and one of them cam across tagged me and put me back to near last again once I had stopped spinning and could rejoin the track.

Race 2 Starting mid pack I thought I had a good chance, early on one of the cars I was following somehow nailed the hard barrier at the chicane then bounced back into the middle just as I was about to get there. I had nowhere to go and trashed the front of the car, from there I thought I may be in a fair bit of trouble as Grat, Matthew, Phil and Jeremy had all caught me as I was getting going again. Surprisingly the car could still churn out reasonable laps but was quite understeery into the fast corners mostly the last chicane. I had then caught up to I think it was Phil and Bacchulum and maybe BAFS too, it was hard working getting past any of them. With one lap to go and Matthew all over me like a bad smell I got alongside Bacchulum down the main straigth, I only had the outside available and managed to make the move stick into t2 and Matthew also got past. Then I just had to hope Matthew wouldnt get by me before the finish which luckily I managed to hang on to.

Race 3 was probably the cleanest I had, Early on I just followed Matthew around within about .2 of a second for the first few laps. He then was defending my outside pass attempt into t1 again and outbraked himself a bit ending up running into Wally. Seeing I wasnt involved with any of the contact I figured Id sneak through the middle of them 3 wide. Then I took a while to catch Jeremy and had a great battle but I cant remember exactly where I made the move but then I only had 1 lap left to try to catch Grat. I put in a good lap but was too far back to quite get a look and so he hung on for another nice race win.

I dont think I would have gone too well as I had a poor finish race 1 but may have got some fastest laps and a 1st and 2nd so shouldnt have lost too many points to those chasing in the season with some luck.

I will make a replay with the broadcast app, though one that looks pretty cool doesnt work in replays only live and Minolins one I cant seem to get to work.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:44 PM »
Race 1 was busy, with a wall of cars in front of me. Coming into the "shortcut", I faced a Doobs/Freezer incident blocking the track which caught me in a sandwich. After that, it was just a real good, tight race, around the likes of Phil, Freezer and hylas. I managed to jag a couple more places in the last few corners after Rob and Bacchulum had a touch.

In race 2, I turned into the side of Grat on the fast right hander, skidded, nearly caught it, but ended up fishtailing across the track under brakes, coming off the worst to drop back to last. From there I managed to pass Slideways and Lan9az as they both fell off the track. From there, I couldn't catch the Stan/Freezer battle.

In the 3rd race, I got pushed around a bit, but on watching the replay, it was probably hard but just fair. It was a pretty ragged race - I got a 10 second penalty for too many cuts, and my gearbox was nearly ruined. My tyres felt very slippery by the end, and the smallest touch ups that you could absorb earlier in the race would send me spinning off the track, rejoining near the back of the pack. I noticed afterwards that my rear tyres had 10 and 12% graining, so that explains the slipperiness. I got the "loneliest" award in race 3 after my last excursion off-track. Boo hoo.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »
I was hit or I hit cars in the middle of the track every race.  Any chance of a decent season result gone in one night.  Feels like racing on a public server with all the dive bombing this format has seemed to have taught peoples
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:07:08 PM »
I was hit or I hit cars in the middle of the track every race.  Any chance of a decent season result gone in one night.  Feels like racing on a public server with all the dive bombing this format has seemed to have taught peoples
Yeah, that's always the risk with reverse grids. Instead of the field just stretching out and giving you maybe 1 or 2 hard passing battles in a normal order, you have pretty much everyone trying to pass you. So the plus side is lots of close action; the downside is the occasional rough pass.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:16:31 PM »
Difficult night, found it extremely difficult to make clean passes and/or kept getting involved in other drivers troubles.

Main apologies to @StanDaam for big shunt and Wally for multiple bumps. I blame the track ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:47:36 PM »

Seems some guys are lacking a bit of patience, overall I have avoided most of the bad stuff and I do try my best to make all passes clean. I did get a few hits in the rear but none of them really effected me much and the damage didnt do too much. I dont think I hit anyone hard enough to actually have any effect on their car. I hit Lan9az race 2 when he nailed a barrier at the chicane ahead of me I couldn't avoid. The t1 incident was rather messy ahead which is a shame as it was shaping up to be a good battle for the podium until that by a few of us.

Overall looking at it its hard to say who is exactly at fault but simply quite a few being a little too pushy trying to get past. The rubbing just built up until they all ended up hitting each-other and I just happened to be in the wrong spot and got taken out. Had I stayed behind the guys I likely would also have ended up in the collision so I think as they all got together anyone else around them would have needed to get lucky to avoid that.

There is an overhead from Jeremy's car, its the only one that has no label not laying blame on anyone here but wonder if anyone else sees much more then just sloppiness all round by most involved.

The other contacts I had were a couple of little rubs with the biggest one on Bacchulum end of race 1 last turn, but there I think I had the apex and he just didnt realize I was there as I snuck past following Wally I think.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
It's a good view of some very close racing. It goes to show that racing side by side is the hardest thing to get right in sim racing, when you lose sight of the other car. On the one hand, you obviously have to be side by side with someone at some stage if you're going to pass them. The trouble starts when you're out of room, normally when one car starts to move towards the apex. Even if you're side by side with someone, you run the risk of turning into the other car when you prepare to take the corner.

Because of the lack of visibility, I would always give the benefit of the doubt to the car being passed. It's up to the passing car to make sure there's enough room. In this example, you can see Matthew was faster than Bafs, and saw an opportunity to pass on the inside at the shortcut. But Bafs' natural racing line from that point is to turn in tight towards the apex, as is usually the case with any inside pass. If Bafs loses sight of Matthew's car, the collision is inevitable.

(I'll come back to this)

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:16 AM »
Difficult night, found it extremely difficult to make clean passes and/or kept getting involved in other drivers troubles.

Main apologies to @StanDaam for big shunt and Wally for multiple bumps. I blame the track ;D

All good Mael!! You were the 3rd car in the line and couldn't see why I was braking so hard so wasn't blaming you at all.  :D

Overall a good nights racing for me, had some excellent battles with Freezer n Doobs and many others!!
 :P

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »
oops...sorry guys, I completely forgot about this one.  Too much happening around here.
Hope you had fun!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »
My view of the incident in the video, Vipergod was properly molested yet he did no wrong at all. He was outside and held that line but got hit multiple times. He could easily have made the same speech as Vettel in China.

The initial contact with Matthew and Bafs was fairly minor with just a slight move towards eachother from both. Bafs connection was also a bit flaky in another race so some warping may have contributed. Bafs got a proper tank slapper going and so pinballed off Matthew and Viper.

This then gave Jeremy what looked like a gap but Viper was then in a tankslapper and Bafs maybe didnt see hik so squeezed him in causing the final collision spinning a few off. Jeremy could have backed off here a little but I did the exact same move on Wally and Matthew t1 last race but the gap didnt close up like it did here.

They got together and were slow exiting with me having a very good run in the middle. I took the gap hoping both had seen me and it just worked out as they didnt close the door. Its a fairly risky move trying a pass 3 wide as it means everyone needs to be awre of eachother. Just 1 car squeezing a little can end up just like it did in that video.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
oops...sorry guys, I completely forgot about this one.  Too much happening around here.
Hope you had fun!
Forgot a Tuesday night? Are you CRAZY? :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
My view of the incident in the video, Vipergod was properly molested yet he did no wrong at all. He was outside and held that line but got hit multiple times. He could easily have made the same speech as Vettel in China.

The initial contact with Matthew and Bafs was fairly minor with just a slight move towards eachother from both. Bafs connection was also a bit flaky in another race so some warping may have contributed. Bafs got a proper tank slapper going and so pinballed off Matthew and Viper.

This then gave Jeremy what looked like a gap but Viper was then in a tankslapper and Bafs maybe didnt see hik so squeezed him in causing the final collision spinning a few off. Jeremy could have backed off here a little but I did the exact same move on Wally and Matthew t1 last race but the gap didnt close up like it did here.

They got together and were slow exiting with me having a very good run in the middle. I took the gap hoping both had seen me and it just worked out as they didnt close the door. Its a fairly risky move trying a pass 3 wide as it means everyone needs to be awre of eachother. Just 1 car squeezing a little can end up just like it did in that video.

I agree Marty. Following on from my point above, Matthew's move on the inside was risky. In real life the move is there, but with no peripheral vision, Bafs was probably not even aware that Matthew was in there.

Are we all using Helicorsa? That's the best tool we have to see who's around us. I know that in the heat of battle you might not always see it, but with practice you get a lot more awareness.

I also think Jeremy could have backed off a bit too, seeing all the trouble that was brewing, with a bit more awareness of what was going on.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »
Apologies for pulling out before the last race. My old body needed painkillers yesterday and was totally zonked. I had a lot of side by side stuff last night (meaning  I got passed a lot) without any real incidents. Personally, since I've been here, I think the racing is some of the cleanest I've been involved in for a long time. At times you have to make split second decisions, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I think you guys can be a bit hard on yourselves. I always look forward to our races and I haven't always been able to say that about some leagues I've raced with.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 09:41:33 AM »
Apologies for pulling out before the last race. My old body needed painkillers yesterday and was totally zonked. I had a lot of side by side stuff last night (meaning  I got passed a lot) without any real incidents. Personally, since I've been here, I think the racing is some of the cleanest I've been involved in for a long time. At times you have to make split second decisions, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I think you guys can be a bit hard on yourselves. I always look forward to our races and I haven't always been able to say that about some leagues I've raced with.

The racing is generally very clean, it's true. I've only issued one opening lap penalty all season, which is quite amazing for full reverse grids. It's interesting to always try to learn and improve from others' views though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal