Xtreme Gaming Network

Rolling Start app - please try it

Author Topic: Rolling Start app - please try it  (Read 27344 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Rolling Start app - please try it
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
If anyone tried to get a run on me before the start line I'd just chuck on the brakes just before the start line and they'd probably get a penalty for passing.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
After tonights races it seems the app is fairly hit and miss, my app showed nothing on both race starts it worked for some but not for others. The starts are fairly easy to managed simply with teamspeak and from the front even a double file start worked ok but some guys at the back say they had a pile up so maybe not as good as it looked.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2016, 10:35:45 PM »
Yeah mine worked on the first race except it told me to get into P18 even though I was supposed to be in P16, then it didn't work at all in the 2nd race...

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »
mine didn't work both races
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »
Mine didn't work for either race, but it wasn't hard to just follow the person ahead and go when it was shouted in TS

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 08:07:07 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. When you say "didn't work", what did you see (or not see)?  They use this app in the Redline Racing League, so I'm surprised that it doesn't work. But I did add the position stuff. Maybe there's a good reason why they didn't have it :)

I might have to just use their app as is, which gives you the green lights and gap prompts, which is still better than nothing.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. When you say "didn't work", what did you see (or not see)?  They use this app in the Redline Racing League, so I'm surprised that it doesn't work. But I did add the position stuff. Maybe there's a good reason why they didn't have it :)

I might have to just use their app as is, which gives you the green lights and gap prompts, which is still better than nothing.
Hi Wally: what I saw (both races: P1 in race 1, P3 in race 2) was just the grey box saying RRL etc. and the Kunos logo. Nothing else. The real problem for me was that the grey box remained on even after the end of the formation lap and almost lost the car trying to reach for the mouse and click on the logo.

In any case: there was no real difficulty using TS to "call" for the start. Ultimately, if green lights just come at a predetermined place/time (when leader crosses line), then it does not make much of a difference, I think. I understand it looks cooler, but if there is the risk of it not working properly, maybe the old-style "go, go, go!" over TS is fine...

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 08:45:01 AM »
If you click the pin on the top right then the grey box should should become transparent.

It worked both times for me, and only showed up during the races. It was telling me when to close the gap and when to back off. Lights went green as soon as the leader crossed the line. I didn't see it telling me what position to be in, but I didn't get out of position at all, so maybe it only does that when you are out of position?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
For me when it didnt work the app was blank in both races the same as it is in non race sessions. It worked on the first test with Grat but in the 2 races it showed nothing. It also didnt hide itself so it showed a grey box with the pin visible but nothing inside.

When it worked properly it would also vanish completly after the start. Personally as it was I would rather not run it as then I had to find the mouse to remove the box after the race start.

I dont really think you need an app to tell you the gaps and it kept telling me to leave soace when I was a fair way behind the time it worked. In the races I was less then 2 tenths behind Grat for a few laps about 1 car length. Yet the app wanted me to be about 5 car lengths behind.

I think people can figure out how close to run to others without hitting them and how to maintain the position and stay behind the person they are meant to without needing the app. If it was able to reset grid order then it would be quite usefull but as is I dont see it doing anything.

On teamspeak the leader can simply call the race start and this will do all the app is doing. I also posted a video of both the single and 2 wide starts in the practice race thread to show how they went. With the app not working for many there were no issues on the formation laps with either option and I really dont see any benefits in using this app.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »
Yeah, I think the app is more trouble than it's worth. We'll just use TS and organise ourselves. I'll write up some "rules" in a bit so everyone's on the same page.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »
IF it worked the only thing it did was give the green when the leader hit the line.
Now we'll just have to go half a second after he gasses it, when he says go. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
IF it worked the only thing it did was give the green when the leader hit the line.
Now we'll just have to go half a second after he gasses it, when he says go. :-X
or half a second before if possible :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
If you have a look at the replay of race 1, you can see I actually go after Marty by a tiny bit, because I said "Ok,... let's go, go, go" and I kind of went on my second "go!". But yeah, most people are not as dumb as I am ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 06:22:28 PM »
If you have a look at the replay of race 1, you can see I actually go after Marty by a tiny bit, because I said "Ok,... let's go, go, go" and I kind of went on my second "go!". But yeah, most people are not as dumb as I am ;)

I also did know you were going to go at the line and it was 5m away so I took a punt. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal